January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

1 minute ago, tinker said:

He was our top scorer, we sold him for £15m, peanuts tbh. We have paid £19m for a player our manager has stated isn't ready for first team action. We all see what we want to see but no-one can argue we have not weakened the squad considerably, were would we be without Ings goals? 

15 for duran plus you are right 6 goals gone out of the team(THIS SEASON) but i think we have to trust UE! We now look like we know what we are doing.

Again - it's not as if we've done a bang up job during the winter transfer window historically.

Prudent to not overextend ourselves (Coutinho and Digne) and look for some more concrete investments in the summer.

Edited by DJBOB

Just now, smokingzen said:

Week that's one 'what if?', though I think he's injured and West Ham don't play until Sunday so unlikely.

Another what if, is what if Watkins breaks his leg tomorrow?

What if [insert any PL player name] breaks his leg tomorrow. The stupidest hypothetical game played on here every window people mad about transfers in. 

Watkins is number 1. We're not getting a marquee to play next to him that leaves the bench. Duran is backup. Other players in squad can play striker, the Emery system is more important. Loads of clubs have had success playing non strikers up front but no one wants to acknowledge that and undermine their argument

• Like 2

1 minute ago, one_ian_taylor said:

Well it does, but then we know some of the answers to that. On our side it's  partly poor management and some questionable recruitment.  

The first one is being addressed very well so far. On the second, I'd  have loved a couple of signings, but feel on balance that this window  shows a bit of a change in transfer policy and for the better. Some sensible recruitment, good decisions on loans and some good work clearing players that weren't  needed.

I don't think there is much doubt about the clearing out.....its the coming in that seems strange.

but................Time will tell.

3 minutes ago, Lord Willard said:

Clearly we haven't got our targets. 

What happens if we don't get our targets in the summer too? 🙃

You're a football fan, I'm sure you know that the summer transfer window is different for a number of reasons.

Player contracts with less time to run 

No disruption to other teams seasons.

More time to secure alternatives from all angles etc.

More opportunity to clear out more deadwood and free up wages.

You can be in contact with players agents and teams well in advance.

Financial calculation reasons.

And much more I'm sure all of us as football fans know deep down.

We are just often impatient and unreasonable.

I'm usually in the camp of being anxious with these things but I'm genuinely not worried as thing stand.

This could obviously change if we fall off a cliff, but personally I don't think we will.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

How many teams have proven Premier league experienced strikers who are able to change the game sitting on the bench? 

Quite a few, you see what they do, is they name them in the squad, but not the starting 11, then they get to sit on the bench as potential substitutes, then, guess what... if needed, they get to come off the bench to swap with a player who is on the pitch, who then goes to sit on the bench himself.

I guess as the old chestnut of a saying goes:

"You gotta be on the bench, to be able to come off the bench!"

Edited by smokingzen

1 minute ago, maqroll said:

I'd be ok with this window with the exception of letting Ings and Archer go without bringing in another proven striker. I find this really puzzling, if we stand pat.

Archer is not proven PL player. 

12 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Exactly. 

Aren't we the 2nd best form team since Emery joined?

Now thats all going to fall apart because Danny Ings left. 

The doom and gloom is **** ridiculous. 

So are we just going to dine out, on what our new manager, has managed to muster, and not support him?

If he comes out and says, January all went to plan and I am happy, with proceedings, you won't hear a murmur, from me.

8 minutes ago, string28 said:

15 for duran plus you are right 6 goals gone out of the team(THIS SEASON) but i think we have to trust UE! We now look like we know what we are doing.

4 really as someone else can take the Penalties. 

5 minutes ago, string28 said:

I can't see UE would get rid of Ings without a replacement being lined up, didn't he state that when asked about Duran?I

IMO Ings should have been sold once we had a replacement, as it is we appear to be recalling Bert to fill in for Ings after our target player slipped through the net, disappointing way to run things and it doesn't look good for Lange, is he bothered, going in the summer ?  

9 minutes ago, Lord Willard said:

Clearly we haven't got our targets. 

What happens if we don't get our targets in the summer too? 🙃

Precisely.....Procrastination reigns.

The interesting question, would be why not?.....and then we might be able to address it.

6 minutes ago, smokingzen said:

Quite a few, you see what they do, is they name them in the squad, but not the starting 11, then they get to sit on the bench as potential substitutes, then, guess what... if needed, they get to come off the bench to swap with a player who is on the pitch, who then goes to sit on the bench himself.

I guess as the old chestnut of a saying goes:

"You gotta be on the bench, the be able to come off the bench!"

Right. So who are they? Who are these fantastic premier league proven strikers, sitting on the bench and changing games for all these other teams? 

Please do share. 

3 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

You're a football fan, I'm sure you know that the summer transfer window is different for a number of reasons.

Player contracts with less time to run 

No disruption to other teams seasons.

More time to secure alternatives from all angles etc.

More opportunity to clear out more deadwood and free up wages.

You can be in contact with players agents and teams well in advance.

Financial calculation reasons.

And much more I'm sure all of us as football fans know deep down.

Maybe 5 years ago yeah? January is no different now, when we realise this, we may move forward.

Funny thing is, most have slated our players and killed off Lange, but now we have signed next to **** all, people seem to be happy with the players we have and that Lange has just missed out on his targets.