January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

It’s not the right question because you are assuming we can get first choice in the summer which is no guarantee.  You’re also assuming we have or haven’t pushed the extra mile for first choice now.  You’re also assuming we have a first choice and not a choice of two or three we are in the bracket of first choice.  

If I said to you we can’t get first choice in the summer either would you settle for second choice now?

You would probably be like me, trying to weigh up all the factors like, is he better than what we have? Can we get on a short term deal or even a loan? What fee and wages? So I think you question is wrong because that isn’t the choice we have and we don’t have all the details.

It could well be the case that we have agreements in place to sign players in the summer that clubs simply would not release in January. We just don't know

Even if we splurged this window, it's very unlikely we finish in the European spots and equally unlikely that we'll get relegated. No point wasting money on targets who likely aren't first choice chasing a pipe dream. That top 6 is solidified right now after Chelsea's crazy spending, we're not getting in there. Better to reevaluate in the summer and see how far Unai can take this current group.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Or we just do what the Trophy winning elite Manager thought was the best thing to do?

Given his response at the presser he hoped he would get a replacement..he hasnt

2 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I know he's our top scorer, but how often did he actually play?

Didn’t play much but is our top scorer says a lot doesn’t it about the rest of them

2 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

How do you know that he doesn't think Duran could possibly add something which Ings could not, as a backup?

Because Emery told us.  He said he didn’t want to throw him in, that he wanted another in to compete with Watkins. He was basically indicating that Duran would only get a few minutes this season

4 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

For one, he'll definitely have more physicality and athleticism than Danny, who's injured as we type.

Injured at West Ham, the injury he got he there and if still been here he wouldn’t have incurred that.  Of course on the other stuff but Danny has the experience, technical, goal scoring and used to playing at this level, you know you are getting goals and some assists.  Duran is the future but he’s untried, untested at this level, is raw and only just arrived in this country….

1 minute ago, Chasetown Villa said:

The sooner this thread is locked the better. Nothing happening tonight. I trust Unai fully to give us a 10/10 summer window. 

But Emery isn’t sporting director, he can make wishes but doesn’t do the practical work with transfers. He’s depending on others at the club.

7 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Is this the same Danny ings who was very keen to join West Ham so Emery agreed to let him leave ? Isn’t it better to have players who want to be here and fight for the shirt rather than jump first opportunity? He came, he scored a few goals, he left 

Oh I agree but dumb to leave yourself short with only one senior striker. 

3 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Given his response at the presser he hoped he would get a replacement..he hasnt

Didn’t play much but is our top scorer says a lot doesn’t it about the rest of them

Because Emery told us.  He said he didn’t want to throw him in, that he wanted another in to compete with Watkins. He was basically indicating that Duran would only get a few minutes this season

Injured at West Ham, the injury he got he there and if still been here he wouldn’t have incurred that.  Of course on the other stuff but Danny has the experience, technical, goal scoring and used to playing at this level, you know you are getting goals and some assists.  Duran is the future but he’s untried, untested at this level, is raw and only just arrived in this country….

Lol.. well if he was that desperate... do you not think he could have gone for more attainable options or squad fillers?

He obviously didn't want to, and i'm sure a discussion will have taken place between him and the club as to the best course of action.

I highly doubt he had the rug pulled from underneath him.

No club gets all the targets they want, all the time, or when they want them.

Chill

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

6 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Why sell Ings if we didn't have anyone lined up? Don't fancy depending on Watkins for the rest of the season. Guess we are happy with a midtable finish.......again.

There was article he wanted to move weeks before he was sold due to lack of minutes. He's played f all minutes under Emery bar the Brighton game where 1 goal was a penalty and he clearly can't play the Emery system. 

29 minutes ago, smokingzen said:

Well the rest of this season matters for one, and if we couldn't get our main target this window, then should we not have kept Ings  until the summer.

What if ings breaks his leg tomorrow, no one bought him in the summer, and we couldn't afford our perfect target because we still had £millions to pay our out of favoured injured striker?

You can only play the cards you are delt. Selling Ings was smart. 

What we are yet to find out is if it was smart to not buy a senior replacement. 

Just now, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Lol.. well if he was that desperate... do you think he couldn't have gone for more attainable options?

He obviously didn't want to, and i'm sure a discussion will have taken place between him and the club as to the best course of action.

I highly doubt he had the rug pulled from underneath him.

No club gets all the targets they want, all the time, or when they want them.

Chill

You’re the one mocking Emery’s public words that I am also portraying here not me.  I am chilled, I can be disappointed and chilled at the same time.

Just now, thabucks said:

See y’all in the summer 23 transfer thread in a 3 and a bit hours 😂

Yep, I’m done here too…time for 3 hours break before we start arguments in that new thread when it opens 🥳🥳🥳

• Like 1