January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

4 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Big fan of those clickbait Twitter accounts who take any tenuous transfer rumour and when we don’t sign said players wallow and moan. 

While some signings would be exciting, the rising levels of schadenfreude each time those accounts subtweet a rumor saying we should be in for this player, etc. are unmatched. Trust me, if Emery really loved Dembele for example, we would have paid the nominal fee…all these bed wetters get caught up in all the made up nonsense. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

The biggest difference is a good coach, we said on countless occasions that we were underperforming under previous managers and had a squad capable of finishing higher up the table. Sure Danny Ings off the bench will be a miss but off the bench we still have Mcginn, Coutinho Dendoncker as midfield options all better options than Sanson , two capable fullbacks in Dinge and Cash, Callum Chambers along with a returning Diego Carlos . It doesn’t seem that light to me, it would be fantastic if we could have added another forward like Yeremy Pino or Nico Williams or Marcus Thuram   but realistically how many teams above are spending big in January?  Sometimes you have to walk away from a deal you’ll be held ransom the next time , and also signing someone for the sake of it might mean we miss out on preferred targets in the summer , look at Arsenal settling for Jorginho now rather than Luiz or Caicedo.

I agree with much of this.  I didn't think that a great coach would be as transformational as it appears to have been (without counting our chickens before they have hatched - our up turn in form seems less about a new manager "bounce" and more about the change in style, formation and tactics that the manager has introduced and so there seems to be a low risk of repeating what we did last season - get a great set of initial results under a new manager and then revert to **** or even manage to get worse).  However, that just seems like even more reason why it is disappointing that we've not been able to strengthen (so far).  I agree that we don't want to overpay / be held to ransom - but at the same time we've been here before where we've had a great chance to kick on and then not made the right investment at the right time and missed out on a massive opportunity.  Individually I don't think that anyone can argue with any single transfer - just as a collective it's a little disappointing (but hopefully that might still change!!). 

• Like 2

Just now, AshVilla said:

Pretty terrible window imo.

An injury to Watkins and were screwed.

Before you say we have Duran the bloke has never played 90 mins in the PL before and is 19.

Before you say we have Bailey the bloke is the epitome of inconsistency and I have zero faith in him leading the line for us.

I'm glad were close to the 35 point survival mark because i think we can write the rest of this season off now it's a shame because i think we could have really kicked on.

We are = we're.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

Duran is one for the future but Ings has scored four non-penalty goals in half a season. Even off the bench every week and looking to the future as the main objective, it’s not crazy to have a young prospect better that. 

Why are you discounting penalties.  It isn't like if you score a penalty then it doesn't count towards the result of a match.  You have also ignored assists - which are also an important measure of a striker's impact on a game.  If Duran comes in and scores 5 goals between now and the end of the season I will be absolutely delighted.  But it is a massive gamble.

37 minutes ago, allani said:

I don't think we should be worrying / looking at what the teams at the bottom are doing.  We need to be looking at closing the gap on the teams above us.

The "team" isn't about starting XI - it is about the 16 players that can be used during a match and ideally the 18 players from which those 16 are selected so that the manager can respond to different types of match situation.  Whilst Moreno is a definite improvement on Augustininininson - I think we'd all be surprised if Duran comes in and matches the goal contributions / options that Ings provided.  I really, really hope he can and does and that in 1 month, 2 months time we are all laughing about why some of us were concerned. 

I don't think out first choice 18 is as good as it was before the window.  At the very best it might be the same (if you think the addition of Moreno makes up for being much more reliant on Ollie up front).

I think you add in the return of McGinn and Carlos from injury, along with the signing of Moreno and Duran, to the team that won 4/6 under Emery pre window, and you cover the loss of Ings and Sanson. Also factoring in the full return of Ramsey to fitness and form.

The rest of the players we've lost didn't play so arent a loss at all.

I think our match day 16 is stronger than it was pre window. But it's only an injury away from being weaker. 2 or more injuries and we're really struggling. Plus Carlos probably won't be back for a few more weeks yet.

For this reason, and the fact I think we could get a European spot if we cover the potential injuries, I'll be disappointed if we don't sign anyone.

But I'm not concerned if we don't, just a waste of what could have been. And maybe a concern that the reason we didn't get anyone is we couldn't persuade them to join. Maybe if that is the case, something will make them more persuade-able in the summer.

• Like 1

The same people throwing their toys out the pram about us not getting bodies in are probably the same people who will be writing them off in 6-12 months calling them crap etc!

I don't just want 'bodies', I want genuine improvements to the squad as Unai has stated in a recent press conference, I swear modern football fans (the like of which you see on Twitter) prefer transfers to the actual football 🤣

4 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

Before you say we have Duran the bloke has never played 90 mins in the PL before and is 19.

Before you say we have Bailey the bloke is the epitome of inconsistency and I have zero faith in him leading the line for us.

I'm glad were close to the 35 point survival mark because i think we can write the rest of this season off now and it's a shame because i think we could have really kicked on.

Every window :D 

7 minutes ago, LockStockVilla said:

While some signings would be exciting, the rising levels of schadenfreude each time those accounts subtweet a rumor saying we should be in for this player, etc. are unmatched. Trust me, if Emery really loved Dembele for example, we would have paid the nominal fee…all these bed wetters get caught up in all the made up nonsense. 

AvfcFaithful and Total_Villa some of the biggest bedwetters on Twitter tbh 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

I'm glad were close to the 35 point survival mark because i think we can write the rest of this season off now it's a shame because i think we could have really kicked on.

Emery has 16 points from 7 matches, in that time key players in Watkins, Kamara, Ramsey and Mcginn have been injured. Are we light up front yes is it the end of our season no. 

6 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

I'm glad were close to the 35 point survival mark because i think we can write the rest of this season off now and it's a shame because i think we could have really kicked on.

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d7wunczo8skcrny8y4qz

3 minutes ago, wedge said:

The same people throwing their toys out the pram about us not getting bodies in are probably the same people who will be writing them off in 6-12 months calling them crap etc!

I don't just want 'bodies', I want genuine improvements to the squad as Unai has stated in a recent press conference, I swear modern football fans (the like of which you see on Twitter) prefer transfers to the actual football 🤣

It's the thrill and excitement of a new signing.  Which would soon wear off after a few crap performances, and the same people who were excited at the signing will be calling for his contract to be terminated.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, villabromsgrove said:

Are Villa fans naturally miserable, or is it something we've been working on recently?

Nah always been this way but you start to see who the constant moaners are over time and can just ignore them. 

Be glad to see the window close and get back to some games.

9 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

We have Jhon Duran! This kid is special.

• Like 1