January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

Just now, bannedfromHandV said:

What about the £300M they spent in the summer? Have they had a chance yet to impact?

Well yeah, that's a fair point. I was mainly thinking about their January spoff-fest.

1 minute ago, El Segundo said:

Indeed because he had Ings and Watkins ahead of him.  Now only Watkins. Don't you think he might have come in useful if Watkins were to get injured or suspended?  Same with Sanson if Ramsay/Buendia/McGinn get injured or suspended.  It's about squad depth to reduce risk. 

If Archer might be handy then surely it’s just as likely that Duran might be handy. I know Unai has said that he’s one for the future but that doesn’t mean he can’t be handy. He’s also probably trying to not build up expectations of the lad and lump loads of pressure on him. Given that we don’t say anything useful to the press Unai is probably not telling the whole story either. 

2 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

A few have said this, and whilst I agree in principle, what if this oversight leaves us finishing, say 14th. Who on our list of top players is going to join us over the teams who've just spent (ok not all of them will improve, but some) and are ahead of us in the league? It's harder to sell a project when it appears to the outside like it's not working (even if we, who follow the club every week, know it is). 

Players join for money not projects lol

Our lack of activity in terms of incomings this window actually washes me with a sense of calm this time. We actually have very decent first 11 when fully fit and a few decen toptions from the bench. lets not forget that we have actually brought two players in this wndow for a combines 30million pounds, its hardly chicken change is it?  I want us to make upgrades when the RIGHT player comes along, irrespective of fee/ wages, and i think we will do that. Unai's brilliant start has brought us some time to regroup and strategise before a big purposefull summer. i am looking forward to the rest of the season with renewed optmism. 

I was hoping for at least one further quality signing but if the players aren't available now for whatever reason then so be it. No point bringing anyone in for an inflated fee now who isn't quite the required level. They'll probably only end up on the peripheries of the squad and eventually shipped off to Turkey for nowt. 

3 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Players join for money not projects lol

Then are we tight? Why have our first choices gone elsewhere? Do we not have money?

Players want success. 

Edited by HKP90

Rumour on twitter, but no verified source, that we've joined the race for Vitinha - the Braga striker. Southampton supposedly activated his release clause yesterday of £26m. There's rumour that Brighton and Marseille did the same.

Just now, Wes said:

Rumour on twitter, but no verified source, that we've joined the race for Vitinha - the Braga striker. Southampton supposedly activated his release clause yesterday of £26m. There's rumour that Brighton and Marseille did the same.

Actually is a decent source, to be fair.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

I think the club have decided that the squad is good enough for Emery to get us to survive this season, and let’s face it we aren’t going to get Europe but we’re likely to just sneak in the top half if we do well. I think they’re keeping their powder dry for summer when we can get Emery’s targets by not panicking and spaffing loads on players that won’t definitely improve us.

Survive the season? If that is the sum of our ambition then we may as well all give up. 

Won't get Europe?  Have you actually looked at the table and the recent form table?  We're three points off 6th place and 3rd, 4th or 5th on current form depending on number of games counted, we have a Manager who is either elite or very close to it, and we have momentum.  What makes you think we won't get Europe?

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, nick76 said:

What happens if that’s the same in the summer.  That’s why we have a recruitment department to understand everything and identify players that something can happen.  The summer could worse because we’ll probably have more competition from other clubs.

Absolutely...but you can't force a move to happen thats not there, that's my point.

3 minutes ago, useless said:

We're being linked with Vítor Oliveira, more commonly known as Braga striker Vitinha, but would be surprised if we signed another young forward.

Looks like Marseille are signing him! 26 Million......

Guendouzi to Villa back on?👀

The plot thickens. 

Edited by messi11