January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

It hasn’t benefited the club football wise if we don’t bring somebody in.  

Watkins only has to get a training ground injury later this week and we are stuffed.  

We have an untried, untested kid who’s new to the country and this level to lead our line that even the manager said wasn’t ready and/or a replacement for Ings.  

Yes good money for Ings but at what cost football wise…guess we’ll only know in hindsight at the end of the season.  

Even if Watkins is fine all season, he has a sketchy finishing record, nevermind lack of options for Emery.  

Against Wolves, Ollie came off and Ings came on and scored, getting us a point and was unlucky not to get an assist for Bailey.  

That extra point might make a difference come end of season, and you extrapolate that it may be a few points difference over the second half of the season.  

That maybe the difference of a few places…one of those places could be 7th….who knows, only in hindsight will we know but i think a poor choice if we don’t get somebody in which is looking less likely.

If Watkins get injured and we still had Ings we'd be stuffed. Ings can't play the Emery system. That's why he's gone. Emery might be happy to play Bailey or another. Hell Beundia practically played as most forward player for Norwich at times

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

18 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Was worth a cheeky bid..

That wasn’t cheeky it was an arrogant d1ckhead bid from an arrogant d1ckhead club. Have they been to The Levy school of recruitment. Shows the typical attitude of so called big clubs to us. 

7 minutes ago, useless said:

They're quoting another source, it's not spamming the forum posting transfer rumours on the transfer rumour thread, will people stop telling other people what to do.

It's spamming. 100% Spamming. They just quote a non existent existent source to make people believe the are just reporting a story.

Go to the real source and post it. Not a spam site. Spam accounts. Posting links to these fake Twitter accounts is trolling this forum. Plain and simple. 

Edited by CVByrne
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, duke313 said:

When did I say both parties said yes? They obviously haven't. And we either have no option b, c or d or they weren't interested either, otherwise they'd be here too.

When we've sold literally all our other options, then not having a plan b,c or d is just as poor. If all of those said no in in November, then we would know that selling our only other player who can play striker is folly. Ings sale makes financial sense, and I am not all that cut up about him being sold specifically, but only when we have a backup, or we know for certain behind the scenes that a backup has agreed to join us, and their club has agreed to sell. Otherwise it makes no practical sense at all. 

There must be contingency, it's why every club has a squad. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, duke313 said:

The club that has a £203.4m higher net spend than us is 1 point ahead of us in the table 🤣

In fairness, none of the players they have just spent all that money on have had chance to have an impact on the results yet. Isn't that why you buy new players?

16 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Archer? Give me a break. He's barely kicked a ball for us. Sanson? We have a glut of mids 

Indeed because he had Ings and Watkins ahead of him.  Now only Watkins. Don't you think he might have come in useful if Watkins were to get injured or suspended?  Same with Sanson if Ramsay/Buendia/McGinn get injured or suspended.  It's about squad depth to reduce risk. 

I think the club have decided that the squad is good enough for Emery to get us to survive this season, and let’s face it we aren’t going to get Europe but we’re likely to just sneak in the top half if we do well. I think they’re keeping their powder dry for summer when we can get Emery’s targets by not panicking and spaffing loads on players that won’t definitely improve us.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, HKP90 said:

In fairness, none of the players they have just spent all that money on have had chance to have an impact on the results yet. Isn't that why you buy new players?

What about the £272m worth of players they bought in the summer? Have they had a chance to make an impact yet?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

What risk would have been reduced? Relegation? Sanson only got mins on pitch due to Dendoncker suspension and McGinn injury. 

The risk, as many have pointed out in this thread, that we miss out on a great opportunity to finish top 6 by failing to capitalise when in a strong position. As we have done many times in the past under Ellis and Lerner/MON.    

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

What about the £300M they spent in the summer? Have they had a chance yet to impact?

Just now, alreadyexists said:

I think the club have decided that the squad is good enough for Emery to get us to survive this season, and let’s face it we aren’t going to get Europe but we’re likely to just sneak in the top half if we do well. I think they’re keeping their powder dry for summer when we can get Emery’s targets by not panicking and spaffing loads on players that won’t definitely improve us.

A few have said this, and whilst I agree in principle, what if this oversight leaves us finishing, say 14th. Who on our list of top players is going to join us over the teams who've just spent (ok not all of them will improve, but some) and are ahead of us in the league? It's harder to sell a project when it appears to the outside like it's not working (even if we, who follow the club every week, know it is). 

• Like 1