January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

25 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Okay, Carlos is maybe another one.  But can't think of many more.  It's made out that all our transfer are done with the utmost secrecy, when it's only really a few.

I remember reading we were interested in Duran during the World Cup, so either November or December.

He had a handful of mentions in this thread late in December so there was some murmurs about our interest.

But that interest seemingly didn’t catch fire where everyone was talking about the transfer either here, Twitter or the press at large. That didn’t happen until the club announced it. I think there was a certain abruptness to the transfer which caught people by surprise.

As an aside, I can’t help but feel that players that were being linked with being given their own thread early on overemphasises the worry about us not doing much business. Every thread that is opened and that player doesn’t join it can provoke the sense of “Oh, another one got away, we’re struggling here…” When in reality we can’t be 100% sure whether the interest was genuine.

That’s not to say I don’t want individual threads opened up for speculated targets, just that I think it can set people’s hopes up just to be dashed, perhaps unnecessarily.

2 hours ago, messi11 said:

Why develop another teams player if there is no clause to buy in the deal. Sounds like a cheap option if true... It's like we have no money 

I think we have no money for Misses....but we have money for Hits.

Certain clubs like Chelsea, they only have to have a pulse, and £60 mill is on its way.

We have wasted quite a bit, but I guess that is tempered by the journey, from Lower Championship, to where we are now.....it takes incremental trading to take that on.

I am hoping the next phase will be better quality, but the challenge is, they  want European football, in the main.

Its a balancing act, that can be frustrating at times....because the higher our targets go, the harder it gets.

For the first time, since ages......I can see a progress, similar to the Saunders, Little, Gregory, Atkinson days.....fingers crossed it continues.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lexicon said:

I can't see Man Utd really wanting to sell him, though, and there's no point in us developing a player for them and having the pleasure of paying for it too. 

But he could come in on loan and get the goals that get us into Europe. Why worry if we’re developing others as long as they are doing the business for us.

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think we have no money for Misses....but we have money for Hits.

Certain clubs like Chelsea, they only have to have a pulse, and £60 mill is on its way.

We have wasted quite a bit, but I guess that is tempered by the journey, from Lower Championship, to where we are now.....it takes incremental trading to take that on.

I am hoping the next phase will be better quality, but the challenge is, they  want European football, in the main.

Its a balancing act, that can be frustrating at times....because the higher our targets go, the harder it gets.

For the first time, since ages......I can see a progress, similar to the Saunders, Little, Gregory, Atkinson days.....fingers crossed it continues.

Correct. 

6 minutes ago, turvontour said:

You do wonder how much of the recent excellent league form factors into us not spending a lot. We've generally spent a lot more money when we've been struggling.

Out of desperation, apart from the season where we we went down. It was pretty much already confirmed by January. They probably don’t see a need to spend now, which is annoying because we could finish this season high up the table with our current form etc. Going into the rest of the season short could prove costly to our final league position - which may have an impact on targets in the summer. 

Edited by Tayls

Just now, Delphinho123 said:

I think we've got a f*** tonne of money. What do I win?

We will soon find out by Tuesday night if we do or we don't. Smashing our £38 Million transfer  record shouldn't be a problem in 2023.

Leeds just bought Georginio Rutter for 35.5 million
Newcastle buying Gordan for 45Million

Arsenal bid £60 Mil for Caicedo

Over to you Villa

6 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I think we've got a f*** tonne of money. What do I win?

We’re a rich club but we don’t bring in near enough revenue - Leeds and Leicester and others bring in more than us. We don’t have 40/50/60 million to spend on a player. Impossible at this stage. Maybe in a couple or seasons. 

Edited by Tayls

2 minutes ago, messi11 said:

We will soon find out by Tuesday night if we do or we don't. Smashing our £38 Million transfer  record shouldn't be a problem in 2023.

Leeds just bought Georginio Rutter for 35.5 million
Newcastle buying Gordan for 45Million

Arsenal bid £60 Mil for Caicedo

Over to you Villa

So you're saying if we don't spend any money before Tuesday night we're broke, yeh?

2 minutes ago, Tayls said:

We’re a rich club but we don’t bring in near enough revenue - Leeds and Leicester and others bring in more than us. We don’t have 40/50/60 million to spend on a player. Impossible at this stage. Maybe in a couple or seasons. 

Didn't we spend close to 40mil on Buendia 18 months ago?

And yeh, we do have that kind of money to spend on players, you're just bedwetting. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, turvontour said:

You do wonder how much of the recent excellent league form factors into us not spending a lot. We've generally spent a lot more money when we've been struggling.

Yeah but we just sold one of the strikers that contributed to that league form. What you're saying would make sense if we hadn't done that. 

• Like 1