January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

2 minutes ago, Tayls said:

More importantly - why on earth has this been posted in this thread!!! 

Maybe it will make it easier to do a deal to move Couts on???  Which would give us a nice wedge of cash for this transfer window and next.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

There would be riots. Actual riots. Burnt stuff and everything. Fights. 

Hope he takes Phil with him. Their fans would just LOVE IT! 🤣

Cheer them up by sending Digne back 🤣

Surely not? Hilarious to even think about 🤣

We thought McLeish was bad!!! 🤣

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Outgoings are more important than incomings though. We need to get to a position where we can attack the Summer market without worrying about offloading players and the effect those players have on potential signings. 

Personally, I'd like to see Digne's and Coutinho's wages off the books. I also think we might see the sale of one of Bailey or Buendia if a suitable offer comes in. 

I consider incomings are more important than outgoings myself. I'm all for trimming the deadwood (we've been active in doing that already), but losing those four players now from the first team squad without replacing them, would leave us at real risk of being left short after this window in my opinion. I'm in no rush to weaken the squad before this season is done with. Whether and when we want to let players go, will ultimately be UE's decision and I would be surprised if any more than one of these four (if that), would be allowed to go during this window.   

9 minutes ago, VillaHatesMe said:

Have to disagree. I think part of the problem some fans have with Buendia is they expected him to be an attacking force based on what he did at Norwich. He hasn't been. However, what he has been, and what provides value to this team, and is the reason Emery won't be in any hurry to get rid of him, is his play off the ball. A forward who can do this will always be useful to a manager who is tactically flexible, and will always have a place.

529138392_ScreenShot2023-01-23at9_19_59AM.thumb.png.e89614e7e865fee8810c2cc16a867ac5.png

I don't expect him to be an attacking force, I just expect him to be able to run a little bit quicker, be MUCH stronger and to be able to dribble and beat a man. He has none of those attributes. Honestly, if we're looking for our wide midfielders/forwards to just run around off the ball and tackle then McGinn starts ahead of him every day of the week. Players that cost £38m should also be able to do a lot more than he does. 

He'll be replaced in the starting XI soon. 

31 minutes ago, paul514 said:

Just when you thought things couldnt get worse for their poor fans.

Cor! Just imagine if Blues ever had any player that I’d ever heard of, and they became a shit manager, and then we’d appointed them in Jan 2016… next level riots! 

4 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I don't expect him to be an attacking force, I just expect him to be able to run a little bit quicker, be MUCH stronger and to be able to dribble and beat a man. He has none of those attributes. Honestly, if we're looking for our wide midfielders/forwards to just run around off the ball and tackle then McGinn starts ahead of him every day of the week. Players that cost £38m should also be able to do a lot more than he does. 

He'll be replaced in the starting XI soon. 

Play McGinn in Buendia's role and you won't see anywhere near the same level of defensive stats.

You will see as many misplaced passes and attempted and failed through balls.

You will probably get a similar number of goals.

And maybe a few more successful ground duels where McGinn is on the receiving end of the tackle.

Overall, neither is a particular improvement on the other. They're both decent offensive midfielders, but have a level that is, at its current best, mid table PL.

Which is fine for where we are, probably needs to be improved on for where we want to be.  Either by them adding to their game, or being replaced. 

• Like 2

That’s the reason we shouldn’t have signed him in the first place. He’s had big issues with his knees in the past hasn’t he? I think we were relatively lucky with his injuries, but that right there shows why getting the money we did and the wages off his books was such a good deal.