January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

1 hour ago, est1874 said:

Only if the reserves are good enough to step in if we get a slew of injuries.

Case study: we nearly went down in 14/15 but crap players like Tom Cleverley on loan kept us up. We finished 17th, 3 points shy of the drop. He scored 3 goals late in the season without which we'd have gone down.

At a certain point you need bodies to field a squad capable of stringing passes together. The attitude of "we only spend to improve" is naïve IMO, especially with obvious gaps in the squad.

Also, and this is secondary and almost academic, but Danjuma is not crap. 10 goals and 3 assists in La Liga 21/22, very respectable return for a winger. But you already knew that of course.

We put a team out today and won, we have players coming back from injury that we have spent big on, and Danjuma was playing for Emery when he hit those stats, but you knew that of course.

If he wants better, then I back him all the way, the experts are in the house now, no need to beat ourselves with birches “just in case” 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Bloke is so on it, plus open and honest it's brilliant.

He doesn't roll out the cliches.

He's obviously happy with the points, but doesn't believe we are anywhere near where he wants us to be.

Straight up letting players know if they aren't pulling weight they'll eventually be replaced.

Was going to say something similar. This is what an elite coach sounds like.

A number of the players have improved since he arrived and many have earned a place in the squad but he's reminding them that their performances must remain high to keep their spot.  For those that haven't made the grade, it's quite rightly time for them to move on.

In a word, refreshing! And it's something that will improve the team in the long run.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

The links are nonsense I’m sure, but would anyone take Anthony Gordon?

Too similar to Bailey without being an upgrade. He'd provide more width and pace, which we need, but I worry about him not being able to crack the rotation of a club in desperate need of production.

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Bloke is so on it, plus open and honest it's brilliant.

He doesn't roll out the cliches.

He's obviously happy with the points, but doesn't believe we are anywhere near where he wants us to be.

Straight up letting players know if they aren't pulling weight they'll eventually be replaced.

This is why we won’t make signings for the sake of it. I’m interested to see how or if our players can improve and the ones that don’t it will be “ma’ ‘asalaama” 👋

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, pete101 said:

Everton fans seem to hate the guy, can't say I've seen much of him myself 

They really do, but that’s symptomatic of having a really s*it team that loses all the time. 

I honestly don’t know if he’s any good, but he’s always played fairly well when I’ve watched him and he’s got age on his side. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

They really do, but that’s symptomatic of having a really s*it team that loses all the time. 

I honestly don’t know if he’s any good, but he’s always played fairly well when I’ve watched him and he’s got age on his side. 

I’m the same but you don’t you don’t get linked to Chelsea & Spurs unless you’re a good player. I think he must be one of those players whose data paints a more complete picture as I don’t see the hype myself… 

Anthony Gordon? No thanks. 

Average English players cost too much. Looks at Morgan Gibbs White(42.5 Million) and Keane Lewis-Potter(£19 Million)

Rather sign gems like Duran, Kang Lee and Alberto Moleiro and get the British players from our Academy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, messi11 said:

Anthony Gordon? No thanks. 

Average English players cost too much. Looks at Morgan Gibbs White(42.5 Million) and Keane Lewis-Potter(£19 Million)

Rather sign gems like Duran, Kang Lee and Alberto Moleiro and get the British players from our Academy.

I don’t think MGW cost anywhere near that much - closer to 25m - and he’s actually quite a good player. 

You might be right. Signing players from abroad is certainly a lot cheaper but carries a risk. Gordon at 30m too much..?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

I don’t think MGW cost anywhere near that much - closer to 25m - and he’s actually quite a good player. 

You might be right. Signing players from abroad is certainly a lot cheaper but carries a risk. Gordon at 30m too much..?

Yeah Gordon at £30 Million too much for me when there are players in La Liga probably more talented and half the price. But I get maybe the premium cost is to meet the British player quota. I like Alex Scott at Bristol but they want £25 Million.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, messi11 said:

Yeah Gordon at £30 Million too much for me when there are players in La Liga probably more talented and half the price. But I get maybe the premium cost is to meet the British player quota. I like Alex Scott at Bristol but they want £25 Million.

He is very good. Always liked Scott but largely because he reminds me so much of Grealish. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, messi11 said:

Alex Scott has a real exciting future ahead of him. But that fee is far too high.

• Like 1