January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

Just now, Steero113 said:

I can't believe you're believing Twitter. 

We haven't even sold Ings yet! Let alone had time to reveal even the slightest inkling of a plan. 

I should have said if. If true. I choose to hope we have a plan to fill Ings space

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, duke313 said:

A sound transfer policy.  Signing a player who MIGHT fit the system.

In fairness that would be a step up from when we signed Ings. As much as I like him.

Just now, DJBOB said:

I don't think it'll be a big name or one we've been linked to.

Definitely think at least one CF type player is coming in, but one that will surprise.

image.jpeg.b4645ae0315f6f374a14c3747b4734bf.jpeg

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Don’t follow Serie A closely but see Nicolo Zaniolo being linked to WHU & Leeds as well as Spuds … would he be a good fit for us ? 

I try to follow Roma a bit where I can, as I've always liked the club. Zaniolo was such a hot prospect, but he's had a couple of longer term injuries I think which has stunted his development. Mourinho had to come out and ask the fans not to boo him recently as I think his form has been really poor of late. 

Ings concern is a red herring - we are not scoring enough goals as a team, we need to correct that, keeping Ings doesnt solve the problem, and it is not Ings that is the issue, but its clear that Emery has identified this and will solve it not with one person but with several and moreover how we play. On thsi basis Ings to WHU is good business for us given he is not quite delivering what we hoped in two seasons, and a dimishing asset.

Its also worth remembering that most team top goal scorers are not their strikers/centre forwards these days, just look at the top 20 goals scorers in our division. We need more goals from across the board. I dont expect any of our forwards to score more than 15 goals a season max, but I do expect 3 or 4 players getting or close to getting double figures. We do need a forward who can contribute in areas other than just goals scored, I dont think Ings was doing that.

• Like 3

Can I just pump the brakes on this perceived backlash please, since before people came on posting 'humerous' memes about bedwetting, most people on here were suggesting that as long as we have a plan in place to replace him, and we obviously do, there were no issues. 

We can be concerned about the possibility that we will have issues if we run the rest of the season with only two strikers, one effectively a youth player, without absolutely shitting ourselves. 

Geez, the internet just polarizes instantly. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

I'm very confident we're getting at least one more forward this window.

And if we don't, then I'm out the window (along with our PL status) 

Sure, because we won't get 11 points out of the remaining 17 games.

Even if we don't buy a striker it's not a disaster. But it would be highly advisable we do in order to push on.

19 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Don’t follow Serie A closely but see Nicolo Zaniolo being linked to WHU & Leeds as well as Spuds … would he be a good fit for us ? 

Looking at his stats, a resounding nope. Quite poor this season and last. 3 goals and 2 assists in 40 games these 2 seasons. As to why he's being linked to all these teams despite that, I see he actually had a decent season in 19/20 which would've made him 20 years old at the time. This kind of form at that age would bring interest in from a lot of clubs but he doesn't seem to have progressed since. His contract also seems to be expiring next year which could also explain the links,

Edited by Laughable Chimp
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, HKP90 said:

Can I just pump the brakes on this perceived backlash please, since before people came on posting 'humerous' memes about bedwetting, most people on here were suggesting that as long as we have a plan in place to replace him, and we obviously do, there were no issues. 

We can be concerned about the possibility that we will have issues if we run the rest of the season with only two strikers, one effectively a youth player, without absolutely shitting ourselves. 

That is not how you spell humorous. 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

I don’t think anybody has a problem with concerns. They are legit. It’s the club is a joke, we’re a laughing stock, we could relegated etc type posts that get targeted.  

A bit of perspective please!

• Like 2

Thought we'd be able to get more than £15m for Ings. He's a much better player and will get more goals than Chris Wood who went to Newcastle for £25m this time last year and would've been a similar age. I guess Ings' high wages account for the difference. WHU will have to pay him something similar for the next 2-3 years.