January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

1 minute ago, MrBlack said:

I'd think so. They only bought him for 18m, admittedly a while back now, and he's only got 6 months left in his contract.

I'd think he'd take a lower wage than Ings and cost less than him up front. Plus we could probably recoup some of what we pay for him in 3 years time.

With that contract he'll be a steal. 

12 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

That's true, but Villarreal being a small club without much money probably played a part in that. Would he turn down highly rated players and prefer to go with those who failed elsewhere?

I would imagine a bit of both maybe, I think once we have improved our league position we could see higher rated players come in. However Emery has pulling power and I’m sure the top players will be willing to join us.

1 hour ago, HKP90 said:

OK, but the League stats under Emery show that: 

Ings scored 30% of goals, Watkins scored 10% of goals, with 40% coming from the striker positions, 60% from others.

Before Emery:

Ings 33%, Watto 16%, overall Striker contribution 49%

Strikers do not seem to be any less important in terms of goal scoring under Emery than previous Managers this year. 

In addition, even under Emery Ings scored 30% of our goals. 

If you take Ings' contribution out of the total (I know that this is disingenuous because someone would have played in his place) then we are joint second lowest scorers in the league ahead of Wolves. 

This is only looking at goals, not the system in general.

Again, the Gerrard figures don't matter a jot - and it's very misleading to use percentages given how few goals were actually scored 😂

Besides, none of this matters. He didn't fit in the sytem. 

10 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

No thanks.

He's been absolute garbage this season.

No better than Bertrand Traore the last guy we signed from Lyon and spent 18 million on remember him?

Dembele is an out and out striker and Traore was a winger. Traore wasn’t that bad in his first season with us despite what Lyon fans were saying about him, I know now it’s not worked out but they don’t play the same position or play similar to each other. Plus we may need a reliable penalty taker/ poacher with Ings going and Dembele is a good penalty taker/ decent poacher. I’m on board with this as a short term option.

Just now, lexicon said:

This is only looking at goals, not the system in general.

Again, the Gerrard figures don't matter a jot - and it's very misleading to use percentages given how few goals were actually scored 😂

Besides, none of this matters. He didn't fit in the sytem. 

You are right none of it matters, because we are going to sign someone. 

But the objective of any system is to score goals, no? 

Anyway, enough, lets be optimistic. It's going to be fine, we're going to pick up someone shortly as a replacement. 

1 minute ago, MachoFantastico said:
29 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

I've lost track of Dembele's.  Is he the one that was at Spurs?

You're not the only one. 

Same here, hope the club are going for the right one🤣

1 minute ago, duke313 said:

What a shambles. Sell your top scorer and replace him with a 19 year old with 12 months MLS experience. 

Sell your aging backup striker for a younger backup striker and look for proven quality in the summer, which is a much better market to be shopping in.

What a shambles. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

Sell your aging backup striker for a younger backup striker and look for proven quality in the summer, which is a much better market to be shopping in.

What a shambles. 

That aging backup striker is our top scorer. Sell him in the summer then, we still have 19 games left this season.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bobzy said:

What a shambles. 

Were supposed to be pushing on this season up the table?

If we struggle between now and the end of the season for goals or due to injuries this will be yet another cock up by the club.

Edited by AshVilla
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, duke313 said:

That aging backup striker is our top scorer. Sell him in the summer then, we still have 19 games left this season.

Younger player may not be interested in us then. Price for Ings will have dropped too.

You can repeat “top scorer” all you want, but it isn’t like we’ve lost someone who has bagged 15 goals so far.

1 minute ago, AshVilla said:

Were supposed to be pushing on this season up the table?

If we struggle between now and the end of the season for goals or due to injuries this will be yet another cock up by the club.

They’ve replaced like for like!

4 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Younger player may not be interested in us then. Price for Ings will have dropped too.

You can repeat “top scorer” all you want, but it isn’t like we’ve lost someone who has bagged 15 goals so far.

As I said before, he's scored a third of all our goals this season. 

• Like 1