January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

1 minute ago, duke313 said:

You're not seriously suggesting that a 19 year old with 18 career goals, is a like for like swap with a 30 year old whos scored 68 premier league goals?

We’ve swapped a striker for a striker (and possibly one who is better suited to how Emery wants us to play).

Though I appreciate that we should have filled the Ings gap with someone more like Chris Wood. 

11 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Sell your aging backup striker for a younger backup striker and look for proven quality in the summer, which is a much better market to be shopping in.

What a shambles. 

Top scorer..in January. With no replacement coming in with any level of experience.

You could look at it like that also. If it was another team doing this wouldn't you laugh at them?

Just now, bobzy said:

We’ve swapped a striker for a striker (and possibly one who is better suited to how Emery wants us to play).

Though I appreciate that we should have filled the Ings gap with someone more like Chris Wood. 

A sound transfer policy.  Signing a player who MIGHT fit the system.

1 minute ago, duke313 said:

Surely our 4 time European winning Coach will know if he fits his system or not.  

You know, slightly better than say, you for example. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Well I'm guessing he does, which is why we've signed him, but I've never watched the kid play football.

Neither have you (again, guessing) so I don't see how certain you can be that he won't improve us?

5 minutes ago, Pissflaps said:

Top scorer..in January. With no replacement coming in with any level of experience.

You could look at it like that also. If it was another team doing this wouldn't you laugh at them?

Firstly we don’t even know that there is no replacement coming in so let’s wait and see about that. Secondly if we were signing a soon to be 31 year Ings for 15 million and big wages in January even though he was top goal scorer at his current team. I don’t think it would be a great move. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Pissflaps said:

Personally, no.

Cristiano Ronaldo scored plenty of goals for Man Utd.  At some point he had something like 12 of Man Utd's last 15 goals.  However, it was obvious he didn't work well as part of what their manager wanted to do.  They got rid of him and, lo and behold, Man Utd look a different beast now.

31 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Old Duncker is some shit hot journo - Ings is sold to the surprise of everybody at 8am and Dunckers already knows what we plan to do next - caveated by an entirely opposite scenario. 

I'm pretty sure emery is not an idiot. He won't be expecting a 19 year old to replace a proven PL striker a) unless he is sure Duran will hit the ground running or b) has another striker lined up. It might be that the short term cover will be a hybrid winger/forward, similar to Bailey but with better finishing. Then a more high profile, permanent option in the summer. 

Edited by Made In Aston
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

Well I'm guessing he does, which is why we've signed him, but I've never watched the kid play football.

Neither have you (again, guessing) so I don't see how certain you can be that he won't improve us?

It was you who said it, not me.

Still seems a massive risk, no?  What if he doesn't hit the ground running?  

3 minutes ago, Pissflaps said:

I can't believe we have sold Ings without a plan to replace now. I am assuming something is happening before the end of the window 

I can't believe you're believing Twitter. 

We haven't even sold Ings yet! Let alone had time to reveal even the slightest inkling of a plan.