January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

16 minutes ago, TRO said:

He has Crystal Palace in his blood....Man U couldn't get a tune out of him, which doesn't say much, I know.

Not sure I buy that. If that were the case, he wouldn't be running his contract down! 
He'll have claret and blue in his blood if we offer him £160k a week (not saying we will). 

Zaha is a terrific player but not sure he's what we need or if it's a sensible move right now. That said, to get a player of his quality, you're going to need to spend about £30-50m in transfer fees and that's without the wages of the player in question on top of that. 
Players on free transfers are so attractive to clubs given the avoidance of the initial outlay. 

To put it into perspective using crude maths and very little real understanding of how transfers work...

Lets say we signed Zaha on a 3yr deal on £175k a week. That is £175,000*156. Total outlay of £27,300,000.
Buendia cost us £35,000,000 + his wages (I assume 70k a week for 4 years). Total outlay of £49,500,000. 

These are two very rough examples and don't take into account things like resale value and age. All I'm saying is, the free transfer market can really throw up some great deals for clubs. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

All I'm saying is, the free transfer market can really throw up some great deals for clubs. 

Lots of decent deals to be had in the Bundesliga at the moment with potential free transfers. 

5 hours ago, MaVilla said:

i get your point, but i dont think thats entirely true.

Brighton spent 71m on these 8 players, from 1m to 18m (Cucurella - 18m, Mitoma - 3m, Caicedo - 5m, Trossard - 16m, Bissouma - 17m, Mac Allister - 8m, Gross - 3m, Lamptey - 1m)

we spent 83m on 7 players as follows: Traore - 18m, Wesley - 22m, Nakamba - 12m, Trezeguet - 10m, El Ghazi - 9m, Engels - 8m, Jota - 4m.

i know which of those two lists i would prefer.....in hindsight, and its not like most of our signings listed above were "exciting signings".

I think the point made was kind of what you are alluding to without knowing it. 

When fans stop supporting players, the players tend to lose confidence, resulting in them at best stagnating their development.

Our fanbase would not allow for players like caicedo, mitoma, trossard and mac callister the time and support that they need in order to develop. 

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

Not sure I buy that. If that were the case, he wouldn't be running his contract down! 
He'll have claret and blue in his blood if we offer him £160k a week (not saying we will). 

Zaha is a terrific player but not sure he's what we need or if it's a sensible move right now. That said, to get a player of his quality, you're going to need to spend about £30-50m in transfer fees and that's without the wages of the player in question on top of that. 
Players on free transfers are so attractive to clubs given the avoidance of the initial outlay. 

To put it into perspective using crude maths and very little real understanding of how transfers work...

Lets say we signed Zaha on a 3yr deal on £175k a week. That is £175,000*156. Total outlay of £27,300,000.
Buendia cost us £35,000,000 + his wages (I assume 70k a week for 4 years). Total outlay of £49,500,000. 

These are two very rough examples and don't take into account things like resale value and age. All I'm saying is, the free transfer market can really throw up some great deals for clubs. 

He also wanted to go to Arsenal a couple of seasons back

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TRO said:

Probably, one of the most significant posts written on here, despite its brevity.

well said.

can you imagine Ivan Toney, coming from Peterborough for 8 mill?

if you go through player threads, I think you’ll find that in general any signing we make is given a decent welcome.

It’s only when they turn out to be duds do we get arsey.

So I can’t agree with what you say.

17 minutes ago, thabucks said:

We were tentatively linked to him about a week ago … 

I saw that, I’ve watched him play a couple of times he looks like he’d be a decent player. Possibly one of the next names to come to the prem from the Belgian league. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, dubbs said:

Problem is most of our fans would have turned their noses up at most if not all of the players mentioned above before they established themselves at Brighton.

Disagree. That's not reality IMO.

Fans would judge them properly after they've seen them play...which would largely be very well, because they are good players.

That list in particular? 

Cucurella, Mitoma, Caicedo, Trossard, Bissouma, Mac Allister, Gross, Lamptey?

No chance any of them would have had a bad reaction. Only one maybe MacAllister as he was £8m and didn't play in the first team for a while. Once he did, he'd be fine.

• Like 1

Zaha is a next level shithouse and I hate him. I mean, Its all I can do not to out my fist through the screen when I see his face on TV. Horrible character. Always kicking off with players trying to get them booked. sneaky, underhanded, always pleading with the ref...
A once in a generation level bellend, like Robbie Savage. I cannot think of anybody I'd want less. Maybe rat boy Bruno Fernandes for the same reasons.

Their talent is irrelevant. I could never cheer them. That aside, Zaha is 30 odd now and Bailey is a better player, hands down. We don't need him. Better, younger wingers / forwards around.

Also, maybe we should bid for Brighton and Brentford's best players, then wait for them to line up replacements and buy them instead.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

Zaha is a next level shithouse and I hate him. I mean, Its all I can do not to out my fist through the screen when I see his face on TV. Horrible character. Always kicking off with players trying to get them booked. sneaky, underhanded, always pleading with the ref...
A once in a generation level bellend, like Robbie Savage. I cannot think of anybody I'd want less. Maybe rat boy Bruno Fernandes for the same reasons.

Their talent is irrelevant. I could never cheer them. That aside, Zaha is 30 odd now and Bailey is a better player, hands down. We don't need him. Better, younger wingers / forwards around.

Also, maybe we should bid for Brighton and Brentford's best players, then wait for them to line up replacements and buy them instead.

Bailey isn’t better than Zaha albeit I’ve been impressed with Bailey in the last few matches. 

• Haha 1

Just now, Delphinho123 said:

Bailey isn’t better than Zaha albeit I’ve been impressed with Bailey in the last few matches. 

I disagree. I think he is. Not only currently but way more potential too.

5 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

I disagree. I think he is. Not only currently but way more potential too.

Potentially, maybe, but Zaha is a better player at present. I think you’d be hard pressed to find many fans of other clubs that would say Bailey is better than Zaha. You probably wouldn’t find many Villa fans that think that! But I admire your enthusiasm! 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Fans would judge them properly after they've seen them play...which would largely be very well, because they are good players.

That list in particular? 

No chance any of them would have had a bad reaction. Only one maybe MacAllister as he was £8m and didn't play in the first team for a while. Once he did, he'd be fine.

Sorry but I disagree.  If we'd signed those players instead of Brighton a lot of our fans would be questioning the ambition.  Of course it's a different scenario once they've established themselves at Brighton and people are aware of their qualities.

Did Emery manage Zambo Anguissa at Villareal?

Annoying he went to Napoli this season as that would be a great pick up for us. No idea if he's still actually on loan from Fulham or not.

That's an example anyway of player who'd struggled in prem but Emery picked him up and got excellent form out of him so think in our transfer dealings we'll see a mixture of established players and those looking to get their career back on track.

4 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

That list in particular? 

It's no different really to what we largely signed in 2019. Gulibert, Luiz, Konsa, Nakamba, Wesley, Engels.

Engels and Gulibert both had chances at the start but faded into the background and for their flaws Konsa and Luiz have both comfortably established themselves as mid table prem players with both starting 100 + each in prem so they've been worth the money.

Brighton do easing players in better than we do, think they signed Caicedo and loaned him out to a Belgium club. Potter admitted last season they should've played him sooner than they did when he broked into their team around March. No idea when they signed Mitoma but he's looked really good.

We sign Sanson, he spends ages warming the bench and then just gets lost because the next manager dosen't rate him at all so Brighton is club that has genuine long term plan with their signings regardless of who the coach is at the time.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Did Emery manage Zambo Anguissa at Villareal?

Annoying he went to Napoli this season as that would be a great pick up for us. No idea if he's still actually on loan from Fulham or not.

That's an example anyway of player who'd struggled in prem but Emery picked him up and got excellent form out of him so think in our transfer dealings we'll see a mixture of established players and those looking to get their career back on track.

Anguissa signed permanently for Napoli for 15m in the summer im afraid.

42 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

It's no different really to what we largely signed in 2019. Gulibert, Luiz, Konsa, Nakamba, Wesley, Engels.

Engels and Gulibert both had chances at the start but faded into the background and for their flaws Konsa and Luiz have both comfortably established themselves as mid table prem players with both starting 100 + each in prem so they've been worth the money.

Brighton do easing players in better than we do, think they signed Caicedo and loaned him out to a Belgium club. Potter admitted last season they should've played him sooner than they did when he broked into their team around March. No idea when they signed Mitoma but he's looked really good.

We sign Sanson, he spends ages warming the bench and then just gets lost because the next manager dosen't rate him at all so Brighton is club that has genuine long term plan with their signings regardless of who the coach is at the time.

The point was that our fans turn their noses up at those types of players.

That's what I disagree with.

The summer of 2019 everyone was very excited signing a large number of nobodies for <£20m each.

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

Also far less pressure at Brighton than there is at Villa. Despite our failings over the years, we are leagues ahead of Brighton in terms of size and expectation. I think players do feel that.