Italy v England/England v Germany

andykeenan

Southgate is going to need a decent World Cup to hold onto his job now. It’s possible he can still, I remember Bobby Robson was in trouble going into Italia 90 and look how that turned out.

He needs to just play players in their natural position and go back to some basics. He may recover, he may not.

If not, I expect Potter or Howe will be favourites in January to take over.

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

100%. But he was above criticism for years. Don't know what people were watching.

Two lucky runs at two tournaments, that's what they were watching.

Talk about a false sense of security. 

If he's got any class he'll have the balls and deceny to say, "Im walking away, I'm afraid I'm way out of my depth", but alas, he won't, and that will be that.

2 minutes ago, a m ole said:

I remember you were one of the few giving him the benefit of the doubt due to the tournament finishes too, he’s losing even the most positive.

Yeah, I mean I think it was the right and sensible thing to do to keep going in to this World Cup, and I'm not fully convinced changing horses would do much, certainly at this point, but I will concede that you could make an argument for having done it at the start of the summer. 

Unfortunately after a pretty good and effective qualifying campaign performances have gone down the drain at the worst possible time. 

The only positive I can wring from this is that Southgate's England have generally performed best when everyone has given up hope, and performed worst when people were expecting them to win, so maybe there will be a kind of we're-shit-and-we-know-we-are determined togetherness, but I wouldn't advise putting any money on that. 

• Like 2

Can’t stand watching his tactics with a right back at left back and at centre back and having a squad of 6 of them, he probably has the best selection of England players to pick from and still picks that lump maguire 

Let’s treat this defeat like a regular Villa game?

The England players aren’t tall or big enough. They don’t impose themselves physically on the opponents, they are weak and lack stature so keep getting bullied. Other countries are much nastier, have more testosterone and bigger balls. England’s midfield players also have a lack of facial tattoos.

2 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Let’s treat this defeat like a regular Villa game?

The England players aren’t tall or big enough. They don’t impose themselves physically on the opponents, they are weak and lack stature so keep getting bullied. Other countries are much nastier, have more testosterone and bigger balls. England’s midfield players also have a lack of facial tattoos.

And the manager is a fraud.

Very much home from home ;)

5 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Yeah, I mean I think it was the right and sensible thing to do to keep going in to this World Cup, and I'm not fully convinced changing horses would do much, certainly at this point, but I will concede that you could make an argument for having done it at the start of the summer. 

Unfortunately after a pretty good and effective qualifying campaign performances have gone down the drain at the worst possible time. 

The only positive I can wring from this is that Southgate's England have generally performed best when everyone has given up hope, and performed worst when people were expecting them to win, so maybe there will be a kind of we're-shit-and-we-know-we-are determined togetherness, but I wouldn't advise putting any money on that. 

They'll just go back to losing in quarter finals now I reckon.

That said England gone back to no spark so potential last 16 v Dutch/Senegal would be very tricky match given both can defend and get decent counter attack players so could see that one going to penalties.

17 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

Southgate is going to need a decent World Cup to hold onto his job now. It’s possible he can still, I remember Bobby Robson was in trouble going into Italia 90 and look how that turned out.

He needs to just play players in their natural position and go back to some basics. He may recover, he may not.

God I hope he doesn't. It's been dire for ages, playing below our potential, and his luck has finally ran out.

Edited by Tom13

Â