Villa’s Race for Europe 22/23

messi11

3 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

It is unless we beat Liverpool. We can't catch them now

Strictly speaking, we don’t HAVE to beat Liverpool.

Brighton could lose all their matches (or pick up one draw). It isn’t going to happen, but we don’t have to beat Liverpool to finish ahead of Brighton.

It’s not going to happen (99% sure of that). 

Ultimately, try and win these last two, see how it plays out. That’s literally all we can do.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

Thanks to Arsenal giving City the title they will have nothing to play for against Brighton now and the deck chairs will be out.

Brighton aren't our concern so it makes no difference what Man City do.

8 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

I think we will lose at Liverpool and Spurs will beat Brentford. 

That would mean the Brighton game is a dead rubber but it's just what I think will happen. 

Next season we will be clearly stronger and its obvious what our objectives will be.

I think we’ll lose against Liverpool and Spurs lose to Brentford.  

Spurs will beat Leeds then so I don’t think we have enough to beat Brighton enough even if we could win to get that GD back.  

I think if we can’t nick an unlikely draw at Anfield then we are 8th.  

I’ll be delighted with that, just that last minute hope of the season.

I will put the caveat that this league does occasionally do strange results so however unlikely there could yet be a unknown twist.

• Like 1

Brighton are the best team in the league this season in my opinion, in terms of watchability. Gone to Arsenal and smashed them for possession and passing etc. insane. Would rather watch them over Man City or Man U any day. 

Potter is an idiot for not realising what he had. 

Edited by Tayls
  • Like 4

16 minutes ago, PhilGibson said:

Fair play Brighton, great team. Let's hope we can hold off spurs and Brentford.

People keep underestimating them, ”they’re good but not THAT good”. Yes they are that good. On performance levels in 2023, I’d say they’re second best after Man City.

I know Villa have great stats against them but we haven’t played them since the RDZ magic really kicked in after the World cup. Give us a miracle on the final day Unai!

Edited by VillaParkAvenue
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Yep like when we got 55 points and we still only got 11th which was really unusual points total for that position.  Seems when we get a good points haul it never reflects usual position that gets.

Pretty sure first O'Neill season we had to go through Intertoto even when finishing 6th.

I do wonder if the unlucky nature of our good seasons filters through to the squad a bit as they look at likes of Liverpool basically sleeping for half a season and yet just win six straight and ease to european qualification. West Ham last season only won once in final seven prem games so they really did limp to 7th.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

I think we’ll lose against Liverpool and Spurs lose to Brentford.  

Spurs will beat Leeds then so I don’t think we have enough to beat Brighton enough even if we could win to get that GD back.  

I think if we can’t nick an unlikely draw at Anfield then we are 8th.  

I’ll be delighted with that, just that last minute hope of the season.

I will put the caveat that this league does occasionally do strange results so however unlikely there could yet be a unknown twist.

We could win both and finish 8th or take just 1 more point and finish 7th.

Need to try and win them both really. As I suspect Spurs will get at least 4 points.

• Like 1

Just now, VillaParkAvenue said:

People keep underestimating them, ”they’re good but not THAT good”. Yes they are that good. On performance levels in 2023, I’d say they’re second best after Man City.

I know Villa have great stats against them but we haven’t played them since the RDZ magic really kicked in after the World cup. Give us a miracle Unai

I hope they continue it next season but worry they’ll lose some key players, maybe even RDZ…smaller clubs always get stripped and sometimes struggle to maintain those levels the following season.  They could easily drop to a midtable club or worse next season but I hope not.

15 minutes ago, brummybloke said:

Arsenal look very very slow and some of their play was dire and predictable.

You would have thought at 1 nil they would have pushed forwards but nope. Saka looks burnt out and typically when we need them to turn up, they collapse.

Shite Arsenal 

They'll drop a fair bit next season unless they sign 2-3 top players.

They've done very well this season but they basically sacrificed every cup competition to have a serious shot at the title. Been playing once a week for many months and yet looked very leggy physically against Brighton who have played loads but were breezing past them in all areas of the pitch.

If Liverpool can drop from 90 + points to barely even making 70 then Arsenal can certainly drop 20-25 points having high intensity CL matches.

Let's hope they sign more poorly this summer compared to last 12 months as they may just sneak back onto our radar again if we can start next season well.

22 minutes ago, nick76 said:

What’s the bet we beat Liverpool, Brentford beat Spurs, we all get excited for the final game and the we lose to Brighton and Spurs do enough against Leeds.

2 minutes ago, stewiek2 said:

Be typical villa to beat Plop and lose to Brighton 👋🏻

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, PaulC said:

We will, I expect a masterclass from Emery against Brighton. 

I also think we will make it to 60 we will win one of those two games.

it’s a milestone reached, which should be the aim again next season

Edited by paul514
  • Like 1