Villa’s Race for Europe 22/23

messi11

49 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I think it's too little too late.

We've ran out of gas right when it mattered. It's a monumental task now and for me sadly I don't think it's possible.

I don't want to come across as a negative Norman but sadly as much as it pains me to say it, I don't think we get Europa qualification now.

Which is probably true. People labelling it delusional are far wide of the mark though. 

3 hours ago, allani said:

We need another goal threat - Ollie is great when he is running onto the ball / at defences.  But in matches like today he's not smart enough in the box.  Stop Ollie and there is a good chance you stop us and to stop Ollie defending deep tends to work well.  But 8th is still way beyond my expectations for this season.  Although if we win our last two home matches anything is still possible. 😉

And there was people in the transfer thread saying we shouldn’t buy Vlahovic as it would upset Ollie, like when buying Ings did 😂

• Like 1

We need to beat Spurs by 3-0 to go ahead of them next week. We then need to do better in our last two games than them to stay in 7th. We have Liverpool away, which is 0 points every day of the week, and Brighton at home which on current form will be the same. Spurs have Brentford at home and Leeds away.

1 hour ago, Tomaszk said:

You're completely delusional. You think there's canals in Italy.

Yea I don't even know why you keep saying this dumb crap, there is canals there. Venice is made of them.

• Confused 1

21 minutes ago, Panto_Villan said:

People were overconfident of our chances before, and now most people seem to have switched to being underconfident instead.

Are we likely to get Europe? No, we’re not. But there’s still a chance, and stranger things have happened in football.

Supporters being super hyped up when we're winning and on the verge of Europe, and then being gutted and gloomy when it slips away ... 
giphy.gif 

20 minutes ago, Panto_Villan said:

People were overconfident of our chances before, and now most people seem to have switched to being underconfident instead.

Are we likely to get Europe? No, we’re not. But there’s still a chance, and stranger things have happened in football.

I get what you’re saying. But today was a bit all or nothing for me. 

A win and I’d have backed us to go on and beat Spurs next week. That goodwill at VP could have carried over to Brighton for one last hurrah. I honestly believe 6th was possible.

I’m one who doesn’t think 4 points from Brentford & Fulham is bad at all and that losing to a deflection at Old Trafford is not enough to write our chances off completely. But we needed something from today, even a late point might have given us a bit of a boost going into the final three.

I want to get past the 55 points, hopefully try and win our last two home games, end with flourish and finish as high as we can. Reaffirm the optimism already built up for next season.

3 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I get what you’re saying. But today was a bit all or nothing for me. 

A win and I’d have backed us to go on and beat Spurs next week. That goodwill at VP could have carried over to Brighton for one last hurrah. I honestly believe 6th was possible.

I’m one who doesn’t think 4 points from Brentford & Fulham is bad at all and that losing to a deflection at Old Trafford is not enough to write our chances off completely. But we needed something from today, even a late point might have given us a bit of a boost going into the final three.

I want to get past the 55 points, hopefully try and win our last two home games, end with flourish and finish as high as we can. Reaffirm the optimism already built up for next season.

Yeah, we've definitely made it hard for ourselves with the last couple of results. Had we got a draw at United and a win at Wolves then we'd probably be favourites to get a European spot. But we didn't, and now it's quite unlikely we'll manage it.

But quite unlikely isn't the same as being out of it completely, and while people would be foolish to expect us to make it to Europe I just think it's taking it too far to write us off completely like some people want to do. It's not over until it's over.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Panto_Villan said:

It's not impossible, but it's less likely than it was at the start of the day. Our European hopes are hanging by a thread and failure to beat Spurs will end any chance unfortunately. 

18 minutes ago, Panto_Villan said:

Yeah, we've definitely made it hard for ourselves with the last couple of results. Had we got a draw at United and a win at Wolves then we'd probably be favourites to get a European spot. But we didn't, and now it's quite unlikely we'll manage it.

But quite unlikely isn't the same as being out of it completely, and while people would be foolish to expect us to make it to Europe I just think it's taking it too far to write us off completely like some people want to do. It's not over until it's over.

Yeah, that’s fair. In my opinion for it to happen (“it” probably being 7th place now) I think we now need to win the final three. Allowing for an unexpected draw by our rivals.

Not impossible but I can’t see it happening unfortunately.

58 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Imagine where we’d be in the league if we hadn’t gave every other team a 13 game head start.

We'd probably be in here moaning about missing out on top 3, and the effect it may have on our chances of finally signing Rafael Leao, Osmihen and De Paul

People do know that it will be typical Villa to do something stupid like turnover Tottenham and Liverpool, then get battered by Brighton on the final day, whilst only having needed a draw and to maintain our goal difference right? lol

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Haha 2

If we end the season with five straight losses that for me is plainly unacceptable. I don't think we will finish in the top 7 now but want to see at least a good end to the season, we'll probably lose at Liverpool but let's get at least a point in the home games if not all three.

If the players can't do that to end the season on a positive then quite frankly I don't care if we replace 8-9 players in the first 11 next season because we want winners not players who down tools. Spurs and Brighton are both winnable games at home.

I've just done Premier League predictor, but just for ours, Brighton's Brentford's, and Spurs' games

We finish sixth on on sixty points thanks to crucial home wins against Brighton and Tottenham, Spurs also get sixty points but we finish above them on goal difference, I wasn't expecting this but Brighton get just four points from Southampton and Everton, and lose to Newcastle, Arsenal, and Man City.

When you break it up like that not exactly the most far fetched scenario.

2 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

We'd probably be in here moaning about missing out on top 3, and the effect it may have on our chances of finally signing Rafael Leao, Osmihen and De Paul

I read that too quickly and wondered why would we want to sign Rafael and Leon Osman. 😆

• Haha 2