Villa’s Race for Europe 22/23

messi11

8 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

For all the talk of Spurs having the easier remaining fixtures, they have Ryan Mason, we have Unai Emery. That's a leveller, right there 

Loos like Lloris is injured meaning an equally average Frasrer Forster in goal 

This weekend is key. We have to beat Wolves and expect Tottenham will beat Palace, and if they drop points it's a bonus. We need to be at least level on points with them when they visit us next weekend, because then a win puts us three points ahead of them with two games to go.

I would imagine 6th is probably out of reach now with Man Utd's sheer incompetence of letting Brighton beat them twice this season while it's been nearly 70 years since we've been able to do that, but hey ho. 7th is still up for grabs, although if we finish 8th it's definitely not the end of the world. 

• Like 3

I'm interested to see how the players deal with the pressure of the next two games now.

Essentially, up to this point, they've been playing with house money. (Relatively) low expectations and always plenty of games left. It's on the line now though.

Lose to Wolves and Spurs win, its creeping up to end game. The necessity of picking up points is significant now and the players are going to be tested in new ways. 

It's going to be a tense, electric and full-on few weeks!

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think if beat Wolves we also beat Spurs. Fail to beat Wolves and the season might fizzle out a little.

Then again it depends on how Spurs get on against Palace.

Covered all bases there mate 😉😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

10 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Covered all bases there mate 😉😂

I had the thought of the first paragraph. Then I was about to press submit and I thought, hang on, what if Spurs keep losing too!  

Then I thought my post is pointless but I’ve written it now so may as well post it.

It’s just too tight to call.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Don_Simon said:

I'm interested to see how the players deal with the pressure of the next two games now.

Essentially, up to this point, they've been playing with house money. (Relatively) low expectations and always plenty of games left. It's on the line now though.

Lose to Wolves and Spurs win, its creeping up to end game. The necessity of picking up points is significant now and the players are going to be tested in new ways. 

It's going to be a tense, electric and full-on few weeks!

I don't think there's any pressure on us now.  Europa league is now a long shot and the best we can hope for is conference league 

4 minutes ago, PaulC said:

I don't think there's any pressure on us now.  Europa league is now a long shot and the best we can hope for is conference league 

We still have to play Spurs and Brighton, we can still finish above both of them.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

We need to beat Wolves obviously but feels like a bit of fun to me now. If we do it we do it. I'm just going to enjoy the games left regardless. Feels like free hits just not in the safety zone for the longest time ever

That’s basically how I feel, maybe that’s why I feel more confident because if it doesn’t happen we still finish in a league position I never thought possible on the 20th October last year when we’d just lost embarrassingly 3-0 at Fulham.  

The world has flipped, I’m loving life as a Villa fan at the moment under Emery and worst case is that we finish 8th, our best league position for many many years.  

Pressure is off, let’s have fun and see if we can pull it out of the bag and see if we get 6th or 7th.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, PaulC said:

I don’t think it’s a long shot, it’s a reasonable chance.

We beat at the beach Wolves, out of sorts Spurs. Brighton lose to the Top 3.  Then it’s depending on Spurs.  All very reasonable predictions.

Then a one-off game against Brighton at Villa Park.  Do you want to back against Emery in that one off game?

4 minutes ago, Farlz said:

All back in training 😍😍😍😍😍

Very glad to see it. All of them will have a part to play for these last 4 matches. 

Kamara especially but wouldn't underrate having a fully fit Cash back as Ash has been targeted because of his fatigue. Bailey, too, while not having a beast season. Gives us a bit of vertical and dribbling threat from the right that we're currently missing.

And maybe just one more moment of magic from Coutinho.

• Like 2