Villa’s Race for Europe 22/23

messi11

1 hour ago, AshVilla said:

I think were going to need to win at least 4 or 5 of our remaining 7 to stand a chance.

Very difficult.

Also Gregg Evans said he thinks were going to qualify for the CL so you can rule out any kind of european football based on that.

Where did Gregg say that? He said it’s possible but pretty unlikely on the 1874 podcast with Dan Bardell.

2 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

I’m hoping we’ve exposed them and other managers try similar against them 

Hopefully we've rattled them enough to start doubting themselves, and as you say other teams can get at them after Emery exposed them.  I suspect they'll do enough to get over the finish line in 4th though.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

There's no European qualification for 8th

I was told (by a bloke in the pub admittedly) that if Man City and Man Utd both win their European comps, then Champions League qualification goes down to 5th place and if either one of them wins the FA Cup, the Europa League spots go to 6th and 7th respectively.....leaving Conference league qualification to 8th place. It sounded plausible at the time but I was about 12 pints of Guinness in, at the time ? So f**k knows, even I'm confused now...

25 minutes ago, Dillon66 said:

I was told (by a bloke in the pub admittedly) that if Man City and Man Utd both win their European comps, then Champions League qualification goes down to 5th place and if either one of them wins the FA Cup, the Europa League spots go to 6th and 7th respectively.....leaving Conference league qualification to 8th place. It sounded plausible at the time but I was about 12 pints of Guinness in, at the time ? So f**k knows, even I'm confused now...

It is simple, only the top 7 in the league can potentially qualify for Europe by their league position. 8th will never qualify based on its league position.

England have 4 Champions League spots that goes to top 4, 2 Europa League that goes to 5th and fa cup winner, and one conference League place that goes to the winner of the league cup.

If one or both cup winners already are qualified to Europe through its league position, the highest ranked team in the league not qualified in Europe get the spot instead, meaning 6th and 7th can get into Europe.

For winners of European cups, if they also qualify through their league position, that spot in Europe for the league position is given to another nation. (Oversimplified and do not cover every permutation, but good enough)

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, viivvaa66 said:

Oversimplified ...

I still think I need the extra-dumbed-down-and-even-dumber version. I drank down half my brain cells. This forum is too intellectually challenging for me.

giphy.gif

Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Haha 4

On 18/04/2023 at 15:46, duke313 said:

There is prize money, and winning the Europa Conference gets you a seeded spot in the following seasons Europa League.  Why wouldn't the players care?  You don't think Mings or McGinn who've never played in Europe wouldn't care?

I’m sure McGinn would love to get back into European competition (he scored a great goal for Hibs in the Europa League against Asteras Tripolis, 6 days before joining Villa).

• Like 2

22 hours ago, bobzy said:

Fulham away (lost 3-1).  

22 hours ago, tomsky_11 said:

3-0

22 hours ago, bobzy said:

Just give us a goal, damnit!

For what it’s worth, I completely believe that “Just give us a goal, damnit!was the tactical wisdom Gerrard was imparting to the players to rectify the situation.

• Haha 3

On 18/04/2023 at 19:41, Zatman said:

The arrogance of our fans mocking the Conference League is embarrassing

We havent played a game in Europe since 2010 and the closest we got in that time was away games at Swansea. We havent even finished top half since 2011

It’s not arrogance, it’s just a fear of us going backwards in the league at the expense of the Conference Cup. Unless we won it of course. 

FWIW I think West Ham will win it which is crazy considering they in a relegation battle. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Does it affect our european chances if city, utd or west ham win any of their respective euro comps??

I read somewhere that if West Ham were to win the competition, it would not affect the qualification places via the Premier League or winning the FA Cup and Carabao Cup this season.

• Thanks 1