Villa’s Race for Europe 22/23

messi11

26 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Can we pin somewhere "It is impossible for 8th place to qualify for Europe"?

Although 8 teams can play in Europe in next season. Not 8th place granted but West Ham would be the 8th team if they win the conference.

• Like 1

Just now, omariqy said:

Although 8 teams can play in Europe in next season. Not 8th place granted but West Ham would be the 8th team if they win the conference.

That is true,. And I didn't mean to single you out, it just keeps getting mentioned repeatedly. Doesn't everyone read every page??

Just now, fightoffyour said:

That is true,. And I didn't mean to single you out, it just keeps getting mentioned repeatedly. Doesn't everyone read every page??

Ha no dont worry. I did try and read the last few pages but couldn't see anything. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, omariqy said:

Looking at Brighton's fixtures. They have 5 games in 20 days coming up but more importantly they will have to play their last 5 games in the space of two weeks. Games against Arsenal, Newcastle, Man City and Us in that final two weeks. If they come out of that any higher than 7th then they bloody deserve it.

potential cup final as well so you wonder what they will prioritise if they get there

• Like 2

By 5pm on Saturday if we beat Brentford we would be level on points with Spurs (only 6th on goal difference), or we could be 7th if Liverpool beat Forest and we lose.

Going to be crazy ride no matter what happens.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Zatman said:

potential cup final as well so you wonder what they will prioritise if they get there

The problem with that is if they win the FA Cup and finish 8th, and we finish 7th then we lose out on Europe 😢

Or even if the win the FA Cup and finish 7th, and we finish 6th, they get Europa League and we get Europa Conference

Edited by duke313

19 minutes ago, duke313 said:

By 5pm on Saturday if we beat Brentford we would be level on points with Spurs (only 6th on goal difference), or we could be 7th if Liverpool beat Forest and we lose.

We need to beat Brentford to keep the Europe convo going. Very important. Hope they are on the beach and Toney has a wad of cash on us winning

6 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

We need to beat Brentford to keep the Europe convo going. Very important. Hope they are on the beach and Toney has a wad of cash on us winning

I think we'll need about 64 points to get Europe. Can't really afford more than 1 defeat in the next 7.  4 wins, 2 draws and 1 defeat would get us over the line, I think.

55 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Either way, just enjoy it :D 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, duke313 said:

The problem with that is if they win the FA Cup and finish 8th, and we finish 7th then we lose out on Europe 😢

Or even if the win the FA Cup and finish 7th, and we finish 6th, they get Europa League and we get Europa Conference

It's looking a certainty that man city will be in the final, and if they've got one eye on the champions league final a week later I'd be concerned that Brighton could pull off a surprise win there. 

As much as fixture congestion will help now, and an eye on the FA Cup final might give Brighton something else to consider against us in the last game of the season,  I'm not sure if I'd rather they get to the final or lose to man United in the semi.

I can see us beating them and finishing 6th if they get to the final, and then having nightmares that they beat man city to steal our europa league spot. It would be such classic villa luck. Not to mention the outside chance Sheffield United make it to the final :/.

1 hour ago, duke313 said:

Or even if the win the FA Cup and finish 7th, and we finish 6th, they get Europa League and we get Europa 

Dont they just give it to 8th 😎

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

It's looking a certainty that man city will be in the final, and if they've got one eye on the champions league final a week later I'd be concerned that Brighton could pull off a surprise win there. 

As much as fixture congestion will help now, and an eye on the FA Cup final might give Brighton something else to consider against us in the last game of the season,  I'm not sure if I'd rather they get to the final or lose to man United in the semi.

I can see us beating them and finishing 6th if they get to the final, and then having nightmares that they beat man city to steal our europa league spot. It would be such classic villa luck. Not to mention the outside chance Sheffield United make it to the final :/.

They've already got enough fixture congestion, a cup final the week after the league ends is hardly going to make a difference. Man Utd (gooo Reds!) to dump them out and remove that element from the equation.

5 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

To finish in the top 4 we will have to win every single game. So let's go for it. 

One game at a time. 

And even then, it might not be possible. We would need either Newcastle to get no more than 14 points, or Man Utd to get no more than 11 points from their remaining 8 games.

59 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Tbh I think if Villa get 4 points or more from the next 2 games I'd struggle to see Villa finishing outside the top 7. Beat Brentford the weekend and Villa would be 10 points clear of them with 6 games to go. Brentford still have to go to Anfield and have Man City to play and surely should be without Toney soon.

1 minute ago, RichW said:

Tbh I think if Villa get 4 points or more from the next 2 games I'd struggle to see Villa finishing outside the top 7. Beat Brentford the weekend and Villa would be 10 points clear of them with 6 games to go. Brentford still have to go to Anfield and have Man City to play and surely should be without Toney soon.

It's a sign of how good of a run we are on that I'm not even looking at Brentford’s league position any more, same with Fulham and even dare I say Chelsea.