Villa’s Race for Europe 22/23

messi11

7 hours ago, VillaJ100 said:

Probably get 3rd if we did.

At this rate arsenal will be hoping to win today to ensure we don't nick the title 😁

6 hours ago, Sulberto21 said:

Can we catch….. Arsenal???? Id love it if they bottle the title. 

They are 24pts ahead after draw today and we have 21pts max we can get if win last 7 games

15 minutes ago, Ouchmefoot said:

I put a £10 bet on Villa to be top 6 before the season started @ 7/1. After Gerrard's last game, they were offering a cash out of 13p. After Emery's first few games £1.27, back to 37p after our 3 losses and £4.43 after our run up to last weeked. After Newcastle, £10.61 (Finally in profit 😆)

Now expecting £80 at the end of the season. UTV!

Completely forgot I popped a fiver on as well. That'll be a nice bonus. 

29 minutes ago, 5-1 said:

Surprised by how many people want Spurs to beat Newcastle. I honestly think 4th is gone so best we can hope for is 5th. Newcastle beat Spurs, and we beat Spurs at home and we'll overtake them. 

Finishing above Spurs guarantees European football. They have a hard run of games as well, and they are playing terribly. If our run continues, we’ll be ahead of them before we even play them.

Spurs also have no games in hand over us. We’ll catch and overtake them.

Edited by duke313
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, 5-1 said:

Surprised by how many people want Spurs to beat Newcastle. I honestly think 4th is gone so best we can hope for is 5th. Newcastle beat Spurs, and we beat Spurs at home and we'll overtake them. 

Spurs to lose all day

44 minutes ago, 5-1 said:

I think it is likely that Spurs will lose their remaining matches, they are a complete mess at the moment. Overtaking Spurs is almost guaranteed. If we still would like 4th, it would help if Spurs could pull out a miracle win against Newcastle. It would mean it becomes possible to overtake Newcastle, and get Champions League.

But the most important thing is that we continue winning matches and getting 3 points, without that it don’t really matter what other teams do.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, viivvaa66 said:

But the most important thing is that we continue winning matches and getting 3 points, without that it don’t really matter what other teams do.

Yep this is key.  

Win 7/7 and we have an outside chance of 4th. Lose 7/7 and we have an outside chance of 11th.   Reality will be somewhere in between determined by how many of those 7 games we can win.

1 hour ago, 5-1 said:

I honestly think while there is a chance of top 4, that’s what we should be gunning for. This opportunity might not come around for another 10 years! 

Liverpool and Chelsea will rebuild, Spurs likewise, Newcastle are growing. We might be a Top 4 contender in the coming years, but we also might not, so let’s not give up yet. We need a lot of things to go our way in the next few weeks, but you never know.

Top 4 would be a game changer, whereas I don’t think that’s the case for 5th/6th/7th.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 5-1 said:

Draw would be good if we beat Brentford as we play before both in the midweek round the week after. Yes a Newcastle win is far better as they've still got likes of Southampton and Leicester at home so they really need a MON style collapse not to hit 65 + points still.

Spurs could quite easily struggle to get past 60 points so I think we'll finish above them if we beat them at VP.

The reality is that we won't win all of the next 7 games. It took us something like 26 years to repeat our now 5 game winning run.

But that is also true of our rivals for Europe. Since we are behind on points and just about every other metric (goals scored, goals against, goal difference) our aim is simply to win more than our rivals over the next 7 games.

So, who are our likely rivals?

- Brighton. Playing great football but with fixture congestion looming large

- Tottenham. On form, the worst performing team in the top 5 and a run of big games coming up (Newcastle, ManUre, Liverpool)

- Liverpool. In shocking form at the moment and with problems across their squad, but seem to turn up for the bigger games and can still hurt teams. Have an easy run in.

Beyond that (Newcastle, ManUre and a CL place) probably requires one of those 2 to drop the ball. As much as I'd like that to happen (particularly for ManUre) it seems unlikely.

I suspect we can, should and will get 5th place.

• Like 1

If we're looking at top 4, we need Spurs to beat Newcastle. Spurs aren't getting top 4, if they fluke a win like they did against Brighton, it won't make much difference. I think us, United and Liverpool will batter them.

Spurs win, we beat Brentford and it's looking like this (assuming Brighton, Liverpool and United all win):

3. United - 62 pts (1 game in hand)

4. Newcastle - 56 pts (1 game in hand)

5. Spurs - 56 pts

6. Villa - 53 pts

7. Brighton - 52 pts (2 games in hand)

8. Liverpool - 47 pts (2 games in hand)

From the quotes from Emery and the players especially McGinnis after the game I have the feeling they’ve discussed top 4. The confidence and belief is sky high, they want it all.

Its a step too far and a couple of games too late. But I have full faith that this group will be aiming to win every game. 

Id snap you hand off for the Europe now, I don’t know what I’d give you to finish top 4. 

• Thanks 1

For us to have an outside chance of finishing 4th with 5 games left to play then my gut feeling is that we absolutely have to beat Brentford and Fulham. Yes, it took us 25 years to win 5 in a row in the PL but with our confidence high and momentum we do have quite a decent chance of turning that into 6 or even 7 in a row. 8 in a row would be a really big ask, to win at Old Trafford again, but "it's a funny old game, Saint". 

1 minute ago, robby b said:

For us to have an outside chance of finishing 4th with 5 games left to play then my gut feeling is that we absolutely have to beat Brentford and Fulham. Yes, it took us 25 years to win 5 in a row in the PL but with our confidence high and momentum we do have quite a decent chance of turning that into 6 or even 7 in a row. 8 in a row would be a really big ask, to win at Old Trafford again, but "it's a funny old game, Saint". 

West Ham penalty was a farce. We should be 8 in a row now so I don't see why we can't keep winning

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, robby b said:

If we beat Brentford and Fulham (far from unthinkable), we'll have been a soft west ham penalty away from 10 PL wins in a row.

Mental.

Edited by Tomaszk
  • Like 2