Villa’s Race for Europe 22/23

messi11

12 minutes ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

image.png.b6f116ed9b3022a3af9b6a053f535764.png

This is what will happen.

We are getting 23 out of 27 points? That’s incredibly optimistic and I love the optimism, can’t say I’m there to be honest but god I hope you are right.

11 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

I think if a European place is possible you most definitely take it. It helps us financially, it helps with player recruitment and it surely helps the brand/commercial aspect.

Yes we’ll be playing Thursday and Sunday, and it’s pretty gruelling on the squad but you can bet everyone associated with the club wants it.

Its never too early to be part of it.

Agree in principle, but I don't think our summer recruitment is going to be affected by the prestige of playing in the Europa Conference. The players we get will come here regardless if we get 7th or not, the only European football that really attracts players is the CL.

10 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Agree in principle, but I don't think our summer recruitment is going to be affected by the prestige of playing in the Europa Conference. The players we get will come here regardless if we get 7th or not, the only European football that really attracts players is the CL.

I honestly disagree and believe it does help to attract a better player.

• Like 1

Just now, ferguson1 said:

I honestly disagree and believe it does help to attract a better player.

You think someone like Nico Williams for instance is going to turn us down if we fail to qualify for the Europa Conference?  

I suppose those saying that we shouldn't be all out gunning for Europe would have been happy if we didn't win the playoff final a few years ago. I mean, we definitely weren't ready for promotion and it's turned out to be such a disaster.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, duke313 said:

You think someone like Nico Williams for instance is going to turn us down if we fail to qualify for the Europa Conference?  

No, it’s not about players turning us down if we fail to qualify, it’s about who you attract when you have qualified. It also shows ambition and a higher league position to said player. Money talks of course but finishing 11th or 7th makes a difference in the transfer market I believe.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, desensitized43 said:

I suppose those saying that we shouldn't be all out gunning for Europe would have been happy if we didn't win the playoff final a few years ago. I mean, we definitely weren't ready for promotion and it's turned out to be such a disaster.

I was going to post similar. It's just ridiculous 

4 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

No, it’s not about players turning us down if we fail to qualify, it’s about who you attract when you have qualified. It also shows ambition and a higher league position to said player. Money talks of course but finishing 11th or 7th makes a difference in the transfer market I believe.

I'm not talking about finishing 11th, if we finish 8th and get no Europa Conference instead of 7th, it will not affect who we sign in the summer.  No player who would improve us cares about the Europa Conference.  Or certainly cares enough that it would impact their decision to not come here.

1 hour ago, duke313 said:

You are right. Premier league clubs can pay bigger salaries then most of the other teams in Europe. 3x the amount they would get elsewhere will be more decisive than playing Lech Poznan on a cold wet Thursday night in Poland!

4 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

You are right. Premier league clubs can pay bigger salaries then most of the other teams in Europe. 3x the amount they would get elsewhere will be more decisive than playing Lech Poznan on a cold wet Thursday night in Poland!

Only issue is tax compared to big 5 leagues

2 hours ago, Davkaus said:

https://www.premierleague.com/european-qualification-explained

TL;DR, 7th isn't qualifying, unless the FA Cup and EFL cup winners already qualify for Europe via other routes

Fine for league cup. And you'd still expect Man. City to win FA cup.

Only thing is I didn't like someone posting 7th misses out if West Ham win their tournament but don't think anyone is 100% on that

1 hour ago, ferguson1 said:

I think we've been attracting a high calibre of player in recent years in spite of our league position. Even if our form tails off towards the end of the season, we are now a very easy sell.

It's not a case of trying to make a player visualise the project any more. Emery, Martinez, Watkins, Luiz, Kamara, 7th in the league in April etc. is the project starting to play out.

Edited by turvontour

12 hours ago, VillaJ100 said:

Imagine if the Scouse nugget had just fluked a win against West Ham and Bournemouth this thread would be race for top 4

Imagine if that had been enough to keep him in charge!

Id take a few more losses if it meant the switch to Emery took place.