Villa’s Race for Europe 22/23

messi11

3 hours ago, LondonLax said:

Fulham have a decent set of fixtures having played Newcastle and Tottenham twice already, they have a full set of bottom teams stillto play 

I thought the opposite with Fulham. IMO it’s going to come down to the results between the teams competing for the euro spots. So Fulham being away for all of them doesn’t help them.

22 minutes ago, tomsky_11 said:

I thought the opposite with Fulham. IMO it’s going to come down to the results between the teams competing for the euro spots. So Fulham being away for all of them doesn’t help them.

Chelsea away for Fulham next isn't it?

In strange situation where I'd be fine with a Chelsea win. They'd only be four points clear before we play Leicester and would mean Fulham on run of three straight defeats so they're dipping a bit as expected.

35 minutes ago, AvonVillain said:

I'm sorry mate; as soon as I read that hackneyed line, I scroll by.

Fair enough - I’ll see if I can think of a better word for it but think bedwetting summed it up pretty well :)

Anyway despite it we got the points and so, back on topic, are still in with a shout of the top 7-8…

• Like 1

On 27/01/2023 at 23:44, Lupinthe5th said:

Looking at the odds they have us finishing 9-11.

image.png

I don’t see the 9-11 finish, I just see that people don’t think we will get into top 4.

Mathematically for us, Chelsea and Liverpool to catch and pass ManU or NewU , it requires a points return around 0.6 points per match more than those two currently in the top 4. ManU and NewU are currently getting 2 points per game, if we assume that they will continue doing so for the rest of the season, it means to be a successful challenger for top 4, you need 2.6 points per game.

The odds just say that the public don’t think we are going on a run that will give us enough points to get into top 4, and I agree. However, I disagree with the public on the chances that Chelsea or Liverpool would make it. I believe that we have an outside chance for top 6 or top 7.

6 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Brighton will finish below us I reckon. Losing both Trossard and Caicedo will impact them massively. 

If he can reach our first target of ‘best of the rest’ in first season it would be amazing.

Brighton should still finish above Brentford and Fulham. I also think they have a very decent chance of finishing above Liverpool. Not just about playing their best 11 given some of their stand ins have been excellent in the cup match today. Hopefully Duran can be a threat like Evan Ferguson is aswell as that would be brilliant for us.

If we finish above Brighton we make europa league imo.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Brighton should still finish above Brentford and Fulham. I also think they have a very decent chance of finishing above Liverpool. Not just about playing their best 11 given some of their stand ins have been excellent in the cup match today. Hopefully Duran can be a threat like Evan Ferguson is aswell as that would be brilliant for us.

If we finish above Brighton we make europa league imo.

Goalie aside that was their best 11. Ferguson looks injured now. I think they are 1 or 2 key injuries from going on a really bad ran.

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Goalie aside that was their best 11. Ferguson looks injured now. I think they are 1 or 2 key injuries from going on a really bad ran.

Lamptey dosen't start much these days. Solly March is another who's game has kicked on to another level under De Zerbi since he got pushed into more advanced forward positions. Levi Cowill was another doing well in his run of starts but he gets injured and they just bring in Adam Webster who's very experienced in premier league now.

I think they've got the strength in depth now not to have a long winless run as they annually did under Potter. All that said we're only 3 points off them and can certainly beat them at VP as we seem to match up pretty well so all to play for.

• Like 1

On 29/01/2023 at 07:14, viivvaa66 said:

I don’t see the 9-11 finish, I just see that people don’t think we will get into top 4.

Mathematically for us, Chelsea and Liverpool to catch and pass ManU or NewU , it requires a points return around 0.6 points per match more than those two currently in the top 4. ManU and NewU are currently getting 2 points per game, if we assume that they will continue doing so for the rest of the season, it means to be a successful challenger for top 4, you need 2.6 points per game.

The odds just say that the public don’t think we are going on a run that will give us enough points to get into top 4, and I agree. However, I disagree with the public on the chances that Chelsea or Liverpool would make it. I believe that we have an outside chance for top 6 or top 7.

Top 4? Surely there's nobody thinking we will finish in the top 4. I haven't seen anyone suggest that. 

Need to try and finish in top half tho. I'd be thrilled with 10th and think we have a decent chance of that but we are now very, very reliant on a couple of key players not getting injured.

If we lose Kamara for any long period of time then I put us about 12th/13th. If he stays fit and Ollie has a good end to the season we can finish top half.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, GlobalVillan said:

Top 4? Surely there's nobody thinking we will finish in the top 4. I haven't seen anyone suggest that. 

I quoted a post that gave the odds for every team to finish in the top 4. It was even quoted in my post, how did you not see that?

Based on the odds given for us ending up in the top 4 it is clear that there are some super optimistic fans out there that have betted their own money on it. (Maybe not as deluded as the fans that betted on Leicester winning the Premiership.)

Also I made it 100% clear in my post that we have 0% chance getting into the top 4.

Still we have some reasons to be hopeful, here is the form table since Emery took over as the manager.

image.png.35cd813af41206ab99e1a60afa2863df.png

Emery have had an excellent start, much better we could have dreamed of. Even if we don’t continue at the same high level, I believe that Emery will take us in to the top half.

• Like 1

I believe We are 3 points from 6th place. Given our current form making up those 3 points is very possible. However that means we have to maintain our current form, which won't be easy. It also mean neither Liverpool or Chelsea point scoring us also. So it's simply isn't realistic.

We have solved our weakness of breaking down low blocks, but are improved in that department. We still look dangerous against any team that wants to play. But a couple of the wins in this run of form were a little fortunate.

This run to the end of the season will be very interesting and there will be a lot of ups and downs. It be come down to strength of character.