Leander Dendoncker

HalfTimePost

One of our key moves is the pass out to Kamara with him facing our goal. He then spins deftly left or right to pass the ball and beat the press. Dendoncker just can't do that, at best you're going to get a safe pass back 5 years to a defender.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Risso said:

One of our key moves is the pass out to Kamara with him facing our goal. He then spins deftly left or right to pass the ball and beat the press. Dendoncker just can't do that, at best you're going to get a safe pass back 5 years to a defender.

There was a moment in the second half when he tried just that. Decent first touch, decent spin, sees McGinn in space but then takes about 3 seconds to actually pass it while telegraphing what he is going to do and allowing a pressing player to close the gap and immediately dispossess McGinn as soon as he received the pass. Ginny had absolutely no chance of retaining the ball.

It'd be very easy to throw your arms up and blame McGinn but the problem was Dendoncker taking those few seconds to release the ball which can completely kill an attack and turn the ball over (in a dangerous position too no less). Moments like that stacked up for us today all across the field, giving Manchester United the momentum they needed to turn the game around.

Edited by AV82

11 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

Just didn't seem to want the ball in the second half, looked done!

Which is maybe fair considering the minutes he has had. He probably isn't match fit to be thrown into an entire game. It seems an adequate excuse for Ramsey and Mourinho. 

Reality is he doesn't play if Tielemans, kamara are available or possibly if Zaniolo is a bit better. 

I think he's a fine option for about 4th choice and did OK for 60 minutes. 

3 minutes ago, cheltenham_villa said:

Which is maybe fair considering the minutes he has had. He probably isn't match fit to be thrown into an entire game. It seems an adequate excuse for Ramsey and Mourinho. 

Reality is he doesn't play if Tielemans, kamara are available or possibly if Zaniolo is a bit better. 

I think he's a fine option for about 4th choice and did OK for 60 minutes. 

Was fine for 60 mins or so , and then lack of games caught up. Emery mentioned player's needing minutes in his post match , Dendonker is one of them.

12 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

My heart sank when I saw him starting but was happy when he scored and hoped I would eat humble pie. But against any team that presses he really struggles. 

Not at Villa Park. He was brilliant when we beat Newcastle 3-0 and he played in other good home victories last year. Away he does get exposed more and Everton away would be a better fixture to play him in but Kamara will be back from his ban by then.

Have to think with Nuno at Forest they'll be in for him as he was always a regular for him at Wolves and they need defensive reinforcements so I don't think we'll have an issue loaning him out as will be a few of prem bottom half interested. If that team then stays up we should be able to sell him for close to what we paid.

11 hours ago, AV82 said:

😂 He's slightly more mobile and a better passer than Dendoncker. Don't get me wrong I'm not saying he should start, they both need selling, but it genuinely wouldn't surprise me if he was marginally better than Dendoncker in that position.

Chambers was one of the reasons we went out in the league cup up there last season, he'd have been badly exposed.

We probably should give Tim some minutes now. I wouldn't be against starting him v Burnley and see what he does in an hour as think that type of opponent will suit him and then he'll certainly start v Boro.

3 hours ago, Nabby said:

Was fine for 60 mins or so , and then lack of games caught up. Emery mentioned player's needing minutes in his post match , Dendonker is one of them.

Maintaining the level of the squad is so difficult. We don't want to see dendonker introduced in games but when we need to rely on him we expect him to be at a standard. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Â