Pre match thread

M_Afro

Sadly, I think Arsenal will tear us a new one. From a  Villa point of view, everything is wrong on the playing front, from the manager right down to the individual players. Hopefully we can keep the score respectable against a very good side.

We won’t win this, all we can hope is that it’s bad enough that Gerrard is sacked before the weekend. I don’t think that will happen though so I’ll have to hope it’s not an embarrassment instead (I mean 3-0 instead of 6-0) :(

I think he has to go with Buendia, Watkins and Bailey and play Buendia as a sole 10 and Watkins  / Bailey as split forwards to get Arsenal on the counter. Play Luiz, Kamara, McGinn. Soak up their pressure and hit on the break. 

I think we were unlucky against West Ham to lose the game. IT was two teams who didn't want to lose and should have been a 0-0. 0.3 or 0.4 xG each depending on where you check

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

What I'd actually go with is:

---------------------------Martinez-------------------------

Cash------Chambers-------Mings---------Digne

------Iroegbunam----Kamara------Luiz-----------

-----------------------------Buendia-----------------------

------------------Ings----------------Watkins------------

With Bailey on for Ings after an hour.

Sit and hit. Keep that midfield three deep and crowd out Arsenal's attacking midfield, get the full backs forward but still have five in our half when we've got the ball and try to beat them on the break.

I think we start with Bailey as a forward alongside Watkins for his pace on the counter

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

What I'd actually go with is:

---------------------------Martinez-------------------------

Cash------Chambers-------Mings---------Digne

------Iroegbunam----Kamara------Luiz-----------

-----------------------------Buendia-----------------------

------------------Ings----------------Watkins------------

With Bailey on for Ings after an hour.

Sit and hit. Keep that midfield three deep and crowd out Arsenal's attacking midfield, get the full backs forward but still have five in our half when we've got the ball and try to beat them on the break.

That or 2 10s, Bailey as the second ten and Watkins on his own.

Won't happen though, we probably already know Gerrard's team and tactics, as will Arteta. We are going to get totally schooled by a side that's been well coached with a clear plan and idea for over a year. Took a while for Arteta to get his way of playing across but he's done it now and faced with our normal badly organised offering will absolutely kill us.

At least there’s still a few clubs still below us at the moment. The more draws and losses for them the better while we navigate through this mess of a period.

4-0 Arsenal, expecting their momentum will get through our initial resistance of about 15 minutes before the floodgates open. Zero confidence in us springing some sort of surprise performance/result. We just need to not be too far adrift before the inevitable sacking happens. But yeah definitely not looking forward to Wednesday. At least my insurance bets last few weeks have made me £400

3 minutes ago, delboy54 said:

Arsenal's biggest ever win in the premier league era was 7 nil v Everton in 2005.

There is every possibility that this record could be broken.....

Possible. But if so, it could be broken again a few weeks later when Arsenal play Everton again.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Gerrards pre match dressing room talk

"Lets impose our identity  lads"

"Bailey your a winger so play centrally"

"Emi buendia  you been brilliant therefore  you will be on the bench"

"Ingys and ollie your partnership has failed but i think it has massive potential you both start"

"Mcginn you been dire, but your my captain so you start ahead of dougie although i accept he is a better player than you"

"Mings you have been promoted from 9th option to 8th as captain. Keep it up son"

Or just a simple "yeh course"

26 minutes ago, delboy54 said:

Arsenal's biggest ever win in the premier league era was 7 nil v Everton in 2005.

There is every possibility that this record could be broken.....

There isn't really. They aren't that good and we aren't that bad.