Pre match thread

alreadyexists

18 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Don’t know how they play but both Moore and Solanke are 6 foot plus so expect their main threat will be in the air. It’s why Mings will be very important for us.

After how easy the Rennes centre back won free headers I dread to see them up vs Konsa 😞

22 hours ago, Herman22 said:

Well thank **** it’s almost Villa time again. Well done to the English women!

I think the starting 11 against Bournemouth will be interesting. And no matter who starts the bench will be pretty good too. I think I’d go with this to start:

Martinez

Cash Carlos Mings Digne

Kamara

Luiz McGinn

Bailey Watkins Couthino

That leaves Buendia, Ings, JJ, Archer to come on if we need to change things in attack. And Chambers, Konsa, Young, Hayden, Tim etc. to come on if we need to shore things up or see out the game. Plus Sanson who’s had a very decent preseason. 

Man it is nice to have a panel for once. 

Reading your post highlights just how strong our bench is. We have been threadbare in recent years, its comforting to see the strength in depth which must be worth a good few points over the course of the season

21 hours ago, pas5898 said:

Soooo excited for the first away of the season.

Then again, I felt like this before Watford away, only to be crushingly disappointed within 15 minutes of kickoff.

Snap, but I think we are in a much stronger position this time around. 

Don't envy playing promoted teams first game.

Win, nobody cares you should have beat them. Lose and you're ****, getting relegated with less than Derby.

24 minutes ago, Rino8 said:

Win, nobody cares you should have beat them. Lose and you're ****, getting relegated with less than Derby.

We lost against Watford last season, in style. Over the season our quality should show. There's plenty of teams that look weaker than us ..........🤔😉

25 minutes ago, Rino8 said:

Agreed. Hate playing them first game. Bournemouth is usually a good atmosphere too.

That said, these look poor. So did Watford last season of course, but we've had a much better pre season.

Got to be a win and I don't really care what the score is. 

5 minutes ago, hippo said:

Exactly this.

As you say so far middling results - perhaps with mitigating circumstances.

But has a decent quota of his own players him - and despatched one of our promising starlets.

Full pre season nearly complete. And two very easy opening fixtures.

Over to you Stevie.

Yes we are favourites but to say Bournemouth away and Everton at home are 'very easy' fixtures is a little overzealous

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

Yes we are favourites but to say Bournemouth away and Everton at home are 'very easy' fixtures is a little overzealous

Come on !

Bournemouth are in a worse state that the promoted Bournemouth last season .

There manager is in almost open revolt over the lack of incomings and there own fans arent hopeful of avoiding the drop.

We always seem to do well against Everton who were in turmoil last season.

In PL terms they are easy fixtures.

Just now, hippo said:

Come on !

Bournemouth are in a worse state that the promoted Bournemouth last season .

There manager is in almost open revolt over the lack of incomings and there own fans arent hopeful of avoiding the drop.

We always seem to do well against Everton who were in turmoil last season.

In PL terms they are easy fixtures.

I agree we are favourites, but very easy fixtures is a step too far for me. Bournemouth, first game back up, in their ground has banana skin written on it. Everton are a tough team to beat, yes they had a poor season last year but it is never an easy fixture. 

1 minute ago, Peter Griffin said:

I agree we are favourites, but very easy fixtures is a step too far for me. Bournemouth, first game back up, in their ground has banana skin written on it. Everton are a tough team to beat, yes they had a poor season last year but it is never an easy fixture. 

To be honest, I'd count both fixtures in our top 5 easiest fixtures of the season. We've taken 14 points out of a possible 18 against Everton since we've been back up. Bournemouth first game back up or not, their fans seem downtrodden. Won't exactly be Vicarage Road again I don't imagine.

Just now, Peter Griffin said:

I think you are confusing a promoted Bournemouth with a promoted Leeds or Newcastle big clubs who spent a few years out of the PL.

Bournemouth are minnows - who bounced back at the first attempt and haven't invested in the squad - I don't anticipate there being a wall of noise at mighty Bournemouth.

Stevie G won't say publicly - but I think he will be demanding and expecting 3 points from this one.

3 minutes ago, hippo said:

I think you are confusing a promoted Bournemouth with a promoted Leeds or Newcastle big clubs who spent a few years out of the PL.

Bournemouth are minnows - who bounced back at the first attempt and haven't invested in the squad - I don't anticipate there being a wall of noise at mighty Bournemouth.

Stevie G won't say publicly - but I think he will be demanding and expecting 3 points from this one.

I get what you are saying, maybe it is just wording but I don't think any fixtures for us will be 'very easy'. I am being a Graham Taylor and saying there are no easy games in International football :). I expect 6 points, I think Bournemouth should be the easier but a draw against Everton is not out of the question imo

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Peter Griffin said:

Can you pick 2 easier games on the fixture list?

• Like 1