Parenting Corner: The joys and trials of raising little Villans

Marka Ragnos

4 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

The school has opened late August rather than early September?

Yeah, they have a shorter summer holiday but an extra week in October. Much better this way imo. 
The summer is still long enough, and the extra week in October opens up opportunities to get away on holiday cheaper.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

For some completely unknown reason out of the blue my 3 year old started calling me dad today rather than daddy

I'm shocked at how heartbroken I am

It's a killer. My daughter switched at around 5

• Like 1

On 29/08/2023 at 11:57, Genie said:

Probably one for the “older” thread, but my youngest started high school today 🥲

My step daughter starts year 7 on Friday (which is ridiculous anyway for just 1 day of the week) but its middle school. High  school will be next year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

For some completely unknown reason out of the blue my 3 year old started calling me dad today rather than daddy

My youngest is 6. I still get Daddy most of the time but also get Dad too, and even weirder is when she occasionally calls me Liam (which is my name rather than some random name she calls me)

10 hours ago, AlwaysAVFC said:

My youngest is 6. I still get Daddy most of the time but also get Dad too, and even weirder is when she occasionally calls me Liam (which is my name rather than some random name she calls me)

my daughter knows my wifes name but not mine

the weirdest thing about it is living in Germany its not like she's picked it up from anywhere, the other kids at kindergarten all call their dad "papa"

2 hours ago, Seat68 said:

When I piss my daughter off, she full names me.

I used to go out with a girl called Sue, who hated being addressed as 'Susan' because the full version was only used by her parents when they were telling her off. 

I'm so glad that I won't have to have another foreign holiday with my kids being aged 2 again. Found that with my son (who is now 6) and now my daughter that it's the worst age for a holiday. 

Spent so much time worrying if she was going to kick off at meal times, hauling around her stroller over the worst roads known to man and trying to stop her from getting her hands into everything.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, djdabush said:

I'm so glad that I won't have to have another foreign holiday with my kids being aged 2 again. Found that with my son (who is now 6) and now my daughter that it's the worst age for a holiday. 

Spent so much time worrying if she was going to kick off at meal times, hauling around her stroller over the worst roads known to man and trying to stop her from getting her hands into everything.

Yeah we did one at that age and it properly sucks. I actually ended up hating our trip, and returned to work twice as fatigued as I left. 

It does get better though, and this year I'm organising a trip to Eurodisney with my 8 and 6 y/o boys. Cannot wait. 

its no different from being at home! 

my problem with the 3 year old at the moment is that she's in that "carry me" phase where she wont go in the push chair she wants to get out and walk....but she doesnt want to walk she wants me to carry her....

the kicking off at meal times i get, my last holiday my 1 year old spent every meal time trying to climb out of his high chair, again my 3 year old i think we've just about accepted defeat and she'll get her tablet during meals just to keep her quiet

the main thing for my next one is I'm off to dubai, 6 hour flight...i want to see how bad that is, plus the time difference so that i know how far i can push it next year, i know people with south east asian wives who travel back to Thailand and the Philippines with kids so its obviously doable but it could easily be a killer

I can't imagine flights plus the actual holiday with my 2 year. My girlfriend and I made something of a pact and agreed to no foreign holidays for the next 5-10 years after we decided to try for a kid. Butlins / Haven / Centre Parcs, etc will do us until then.

18 hours ago, AlwaysAVFC said:

My step daughter starts year 7 on Friday (which is ridiculous anyway for just 1 day of the week) but its middle school. High  school will be next year.

i grew up in worcestershire where middle schools were a thing. i was surprised to learn that the rest of the country dont really have them. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, djdabush said:

my kids are a bit older now (13 and 8 ) but i found the foreign travel and holiday thing to be very much about how they were. My daughter was much more relaxed, particularly around a routine. WIth my son if you messed up his sleep or food routine (which was quite limited) then he was a nightmare. We spent a while thinking that foreign travel with kids was tough, actually it was just that kid.

We also spent a few years just visiting the all inclusive options around spain. Buffet food that was quite decent that they could eat or not eat what they wanted, everyone else with kids so no judgement if they are sat on their tablets while you enjoy a few drinks. 

21 hours ago, villa4europe said:

My 7 year old daughter tried to switch it last week, I wouldn't let her. 

Â