Three reasons a transfer target should live in Brum (and play for Villa) ...

Marka Ragnos

32 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Seriously, probably nothing if I was a footballer.  I’d be looking at the football club, the salary, the status of the club, chance of playing, chance of winning stuff, club facilities, etc.  

I hear you. Especially if you've no family yet,  but still ... maybe some influence?

4 hours ago, Dillon66 said:

Obligatory reading for all potential new signings....

2df5808e247d2d0e039a6628f5a1cf21_original.jpeg.jpg

Gotta get that.

3 hours ago, Rustibrooks said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but I find that when I visit family in Birmingham, the people living in Birmingham are friendlier than people living in London too. 

Oh, a million times over. It's like a different world, especially if you're American. My aunt in Handsworth who has so little money would put out these huge spreads of sandwiches when I visit, and during the holidays, look out ... you live like a king as a visitor.     

3 hours ago, The Moustache of Teale said:

1. Mr Egg ...

Now I need to look that up.

3 hours ago, MWARLEY2 said:

1. Shababs 

2. Nickable pick and mix at most cinemas in the area 

3. Us lot are friendly muthaf****rs

Just cracking up on all three here ...

3 hours ago, supermon said:

The presence of university of Birmingham?  ...

Honestly not sure how much people outside academic have a sense of it, but in certain circles outside the UK, Birmingham U is definitely considered world-class. But I laugh at myself as, yeah, many footballers probably give f-all. 

2 hours ago, tomav84 said:

chicken tikka balti

pilau rice

garlic naan

i could go on but you said just 3 things

Getting hungry ...

Most of ours live locally I think now. Perhaps Ollie is only one who maybe commutes as it was rumoured his partner hadn't settled in Brum so perhaps she's gone back down south.

Back in the MON era we had half of them coming in from Cheshire (Friedel, Heskey, Warnock, Dunne) and the other half based in London (Sidwell, Luke Young) so that probably explained the endless days off and lax training schedules.

Even a few years back there was Terry coming up from Surrey and also Snodgrass saying he was driving up most days from Essex.

Probably a good reason to sign a few more early 20s players who won't be that settled off the pitch with family and also players on permanents rather than years loans so there's less motivation to based themselves in Midlands.

Brum has its faults but interesting the amount of players with no connection to the Midlands who base themselves here after retirement. Merson was living in Sutton years after he stopped playing for us and think Kevin Phillips still lives locally.

Would be good if a few more top quality restaurants could open in the city centre as I wonder where our south american contigent go for meals out given Fidel Del Asado is a bit of a trek out on Hagley Road (used to be one up Brindley Place but it closed).

Think it comes down to two types anyway, the ones settled with family would be happy with Four Oaks or Solihull given the amenities close by whereas single ones you'd probably give them Mailbox or city centre appartments. Didn't Carew live in Mailbox for ages and saw Guzan coming out of it once so think he was based there aswell.

Edited by VillaChris

3 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Four oaks / Little Aston tbf.  Gerrard drinks in the crown :)

Really? Got a mate who works there although he's not a football fan at all (although would recognize Gerrard given he played 100 + for England so will have to ask him if he's popped in next time I see him).

Gerrard's actually a good example. Imagine we've given him a top notch pad in Little Aston while his family home is still around Southport so best of both worlds.

25 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Really? Got a mate who works there although he's not a football fan at all (although would recognize Gerrard given he played 100 + for England so will have to ask him if he's popped in next time I see him).

Gerrard's actually a good example. Imagine we've given him a top notch pad in Little Aston while his family home is still around Southport so best of both worlds.

Apparently pops in for a pint here and there. Not that often though and I think it’s been a while.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

As already mentioned, the Michellin star + other fancy restaurants and the proximity to London would be the biggest pull for your standard footballer. 

Ensuring the missus has easy enough access to the shops etc in Ldn.  

But Birmingham does have its very own Harvey Nicks (last time I checked). And for the more sophisticated football types there's the various art galleries in the city, such as Ikon, the Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery and Barber Institute of Fine Arts.  Remi Garde was a big fan of the latter, apparently. 

They could always get a country pile like somewhere near Oxford and get the best of both worlds, roughly one hour from Brum and one hour from the Smoke. 

Or do what Robert Pires did and get your chauffer to drive you from Hertfordshire every morning. 

If you live in that stretch down the M40, there's loads of places that are rich, massive houses, nice countryside, easy to hide away from people... and easy enough to get into London for an evening or to whatever airport (Birmingham, Heathrow, etc) you want to fly from.

So should be fairly attractive to a big name foreign player. Otherwise it's the usual footballer spots in or near the city, Little Aston, etc.

If Manchester, Liverpool, Leicester, Newcastle etc can attract big names then no reason why it'll be a huge barrier for us.

We'll never compete with cosmopolitan megacities like London, Paris, Madrid and Barcelona for global celeb culture, but by the same token, a lot of players end up getting distracted and going off the rails in places like that.

And FWIW Turin isn't the most exciting place in the world, and Juventus have rarely had many problems signing global superstars.

What I think players do love about living in the big global cities is the ability to be a bit more anonymous. Hampstead in London is the sort of place where an Arsenal star can just go for a coffee and not be bothered... Johnny Depp will be in the same place. 90% of the people around him won't even follow football. Think it can be a bit more of a fishbowl if you're in a "football city".

Anyway, if we can sign Coutinho, we shouldn't have too many problems signing anyone if the price is right and they believe in the football.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, av1 said:

I’m sorry mate I know you said ‘no joke answers’ but this made me chuckle. 

I used to work at the UOB so I’m absolutely not knocking the place, it’s fantastic. But I just don’t think the quality of universities Is a consideration for footballers. 

Well you be wrong funny enough about being a joke answer. John Mcginn girlfriend went to brum Uni to do her education and she loved it. She made friends easier apparently this way and it made her settle here. So having a Uni of quality can help with Family settlement.

Of course I don’t think it makes a footballer choose us over another club, but it does help. 

Edited by Villa_Stateside

It's has more or less the same attractions and downsides as other cities. One thing that is going for it is the lack of media in the area means players have relative freedom when compared to other cities in the UK, London and Manchester. + The lack of football hype here..... the general population in Birmingham wouldn't even know who Coutinho is and would walk past him in the street. 

3 hours ago, tinker said:

It's has more or less the same attractions and downsides as other cities. One thing that is going for it is the lack of media in the area means players have relative freedom when compared to other cities in the UK, London and Manchester. + The lack of football hype here..... the general population in Birmingham wouldn't even know who Coutinho is and would walk past him in the street. 

Â