Diego Carlos

PaulMcGrath_5

He is hard as nails. Not nasty. But hard. When players come up against him in either box his strength will knock players out of the way. You forget he is only 6ft dead. It is a shame that Mings is out for the season as those 2 would have been a brick wall in certain games. 

• 3 weeks later...

The area of his game that he needs to work on is his decision-making when he's on the ball. He put Kamara under pressure several times playing the ball to him when he shouldn't have. He's a good defender but passing it around and out the back is an important requirement for our CBs. 

7 minutes ago, lexicon said:

The area of his game that he needs to work on is his decision-making when he's on the ball. He put Kamara under pressure several times playing the ball to him when he shouldn't have. He's a good defender but passing it around and out the back is an important requirement for our CBs. 

I do think he thinks everyone is as comfortable with the ball under intense pressure as he is. 

It’s amazing to have a player of Diego Carlos’ quality ‘in reserve’. With him, Lenglet, Torres and Konsa, we have four players who are all very capable of picking passes and progressing the ball forward quickly. They won’t always come off, just like some of Carlos’ passes last night, but when they do it makes us a very dangerous side. 

• Like 1

Honestly I was getting quite irritated with some of his long forward passing in the first half last night - thought he gave away possession quite a lot.

I put this down to ring rustiness though as he clearly has the ability to deliver a mean long ball

12 hours ago, lexicon said:

Much of the time I think he was just getting the weight of the passes wrong more than anything else. He has this lovely technique where he absolutely whips the ball into the midfielder, but as much as aesthetically it looks great it also made it unnecessarily difficult to receive properly for Kamara etc. Think it's something that'll come with the more minutes he plays though, he's still played well any time he's had a chance but it's still crazy that the amount of competitive minutes he's played since signing amounts to around 8 games.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Indigo said:

Much of the time I think he was just getting the weight of the passes wrong more than anything else. He has this lovely technique where he absolutely whips the ball into the midfielder, but as much as aesthetically it looks great it also made it unnecessarily difficult to receive properly for Kamara etc. Think it's something that'll come with the more minutes he plays though, he's still played well any time he's had a chance but it's still crazy that the amount of competitive minutes he's played since signing amounts to around 8 games.

Yeah, for sure - if he's got the capacity to improve then Unai will get it out of him. 

• 2 weeks later...
Â