Nottingham Forest

Demitri_C

I love the fact that most media commentators have basically airbrushed the last 30 years or so of Forest's history and just keep on making lazy references to Clough, when most supporters under 35 would have no idea what they are on about. Its also slightly amusing that the same commentators always seem to have a blind spot when talking about Saunders/Barton at Villa. I suppose they were at the club for a shorter period of time and it's further in the past,  and were less media friendly, but still does me chuckle a bit.

Good luck to Forest, hope it works out. In-laws all from that neck of the woods so have sort of adopted them as a second team. 

I also think if you're ever going to do shit like this, doing this in a season, where you have a 6 week window halfway through is a pretty good time to do it, gives them more time to settle in etc. 

• Like 1

They've also been away from the top flight for ages.  Coming up and having a go is what the fans will have wanted.

Can't see it damaging the club long term due to the size of parachute payments as well - you get something like £40m for the first season in the Championship, then £35m for the second and £25m for the third literally for doing nothing other than being relegated from the Premier League.

22 hours ago, Mr_Dogg said:

Gibbs White shone in the championship, so they are effectively paying that money based on a good season in the championship.

Maddest transfer since Fabio Silva.

Madder than £20,000,000 for an 18 year old whose played 200 minutes of professional football?

2 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

Madder than £20,000,000 for an 18 year old whose played 200 minutes of professional football?

Chelsea just spent 15 million on a kid with zero minutes of senior or under 21 football. Has never even set on a first team bench 😂

£20m for Chukwuemeka isn't mad, if he was contracted to us for longer and wanted to stay, we wouldn't have even begun to entertain a bid of £20m for him. There's a reason we tried to keep him and make him England's best paid teenager, which is also the same reason why Chelsea were prepared to pay £20m for him now even though they could have got him for much less in January, that reason being his potential is totally off the edge.

I like Gibbs-White was very impressed with him for Sheffield United last year, £25m plus add-ons not a bad deal for Forest at all, but if I was given a choice of Chukwuemeka or Gibbs-White, I'd choose chukwuemeka every time, as long as Chelsea handle his development right he's going to the top.

9 hours ago, Talldarkandransome said:

It took em 20 years to get back and if this goes wrong it could be enother 20 years. I think Steve Cooper will look even more pissed on his interviews this season

not sure thats true.

Even if they go down, its likely enough of their transfers will have been a success, to allow them to have a huge headstart in terms of quality to get promoted again.

There are some players they have signed (or already in the squad), who have proved they are at least top level Champ players.

I actually like quite a few of their signings:

• Toffolo - left back who was high quality in the champ.
  • O'Brien : midfielder who was high quality in the champ, really silky and hard working midfielder.
  • Gibbs - White : was touted as one of the best performers in the Champ last season, 25m base fee isnt a million miles off the going rate for the best performing Champ players over the last few years (even if the expected add ons to 35m are true, if he performs that still isnt a million miles off the going rate for top end Champ performers coming to a PL team), if they go down, he will be a force for them next season.
  • Richards - left back from Bayern, was highly touted a couple of years ago.
  • Dennis - did fairly well in the PL last season, certainly top level Champ quality at minimum, almost certainly mid/lower PL quality.
  • Neco Williams - right back, looks a decent signing imo, if he isnt PL quality, he is certainly a top Champ level player.
  • Kouyate - probably a decent, proven backup midfielder at lower end PL level.
  • Henderson - clearly a PL level keeper.
  • Lingard - yeah a lot of salary, but its a 1 year deal, so nothing lost if it doesnt work out.

They have taken some chances on players like Awonyi, Mangala, Biancone, Niakhate & Freuler, but its likely at least some of those will prove decent signings.

I think overall, they are having a really good window, i also think they have a good chance of staying up.

Even if they dont stay up, i think there is enough quality there now to come straight back up.

to be brutally honest, i think their business is better than our promotion year, ofc thats yet to be proven, but i think it is on paper.

I think they will stay up.

• Like 2

Â