The Re-hashed, Back door European Super League Scandal

13 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

If there was a rival to UEFA competition set up it sure as hell wouldn't be linked to the old one. Which is now just Barca and Madrid. Also it wouldn't get off the ground without the PL clubs who can't get involved as they need approval from the new Football Regulator.  PL is the super league, the UK Government aren't going to allow it to lose its dominance. It's in the National interest to protect it.

Well this new tournament wont have teams competing in the Champions League as wont be enough space in the calendar. Liverpool vs APOEL or Arsenal vs HJK Helsinki wont really be mouth watering European ties

15 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

If there was a rival to UEFA competition set up it sure as hell wouldn't be linked to the old one. Which is now just Barca and Madrid. Also it wouldn't get off the ground without the PL clubs who can't get involved as they need approval from the new Football Regulator.  PL is the super league, the UK Government aren't going to allow it to lose its dominance. It's in the National interest to protect it.

I'm still convinced the only people who can rival UEFA is FIFA 

The inevitable outcome for me is that the baton is passed from the champions league to the club world cup which is said to be every 4 years but when it's a huge success it will drop to 2 at least 

18 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I'm still convinced the only people who can rival UEFA is FIFA 

The inevitable outcome for me is that the baton is passed from the champions league to the club world cup which is said to be every 4 years but when it's a huge success it will drop to 2 at least 

I don't see this as the outcome at all. European clubs will be playing some form of Champions league/European Cup every season. FIFA's club world cup will never replace that. 

3 minutes ago, villa89 said:

I don't see this as the outcome at all. European clubs will be playing some form of Champions league/European Cup every season. FIFA's club world cup will never replace that. 

thats what im saying, fifa will come for their own annual competition eventually, they'll let it be a success first, then they'll get some backing, then they'll give it a huge push

i dont see any 3rd party non governing body having the might to take on the existing lot, but a challenge of uefa from fifa feels inevitable to me

8 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

thats what im saying, fifa will come for their own annual competition eventually, but a challenge of uefa from fifa feels inevitable to me

But the club's are already trying to get rid of UEFA, they aren't going to accept the even more corrupt FIFA as a replacement. The whole point of this super league is to take out the middleman and have the club's control the league and revenue themselves. They can also choose to add club's from other leagues as they wish, for example Saudi Arabia and not need any approval from FIFA. 

• Like 1

This judgement is a bit of something of nothing.

The judgement basically says UEFA can't prevent there being a breakaway league, but they do have a right to act as a governing body and, provided they act within EU law in that capacity, can do whatever they want to administer to the conditions they govern.

I.e. they can't stop a superleague, but they also can write laws that, for instance, say anyone taking part in that superleague revoke their participation in any UEFA sanctioned competitions.

• Like 3

The UEFA Competitions, especially the Champions League are terrible. They had out money to the top clubs based on their last 10 year coefficient meaning the biggest clubs just get handed money for nothing. It's a joke. The Premier League distribute money much more equitably, with most given out for participation and then addition payments based on where you finish. 

The Clubs of Europe can come up with something much better.

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

What's been proposed SEEMS a lot better but the devil will be in the detail. 

Is there some mechanism that stops those in the "star" league getting relegated if they don't perform. 

Is the income levels and subsequent relegation parachute payments so unfeasibly large that anyone outside that league can't compete. 

And yes, the "free to view" element will obviously disappear as soon as they've got their way and the league in place.  Assume. The Middle Eastern investors will will fund the first year or 2 under that sham then the paid TV subscriptions with eye watering costs will kick in. 

I assume the likes of Chelsea and Tottingham fans will be more up for this now as they see the top 4 Premier League spots disappearing in the distance. 

The mechanism will be the original 12 shitters that joined the ESL will be immune from relegation for X years or some bollocks

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Has there even been a ‘monopoly break up’ that’s actually benefited the general public?

Its always dressed up as being a good thing but then hits us all in the pocket.

I’m no fan of UEFA but I’m struggling to see any good coming out of this.

The creation of the Premier League was a breakaway league. 

We should propose a new tournament. 40 teams in 8 groups of 5 teams. Top 2 qualify to knock out, 3rd placed goes down into the competition below. 

Qualification for new tournament is top 7 in Premier League, Top 5 in Germany, Italy & Spain and Top 4 in France, Top 3 in Portugal, top 2 in Dutch and then the winner of the lower tournament, plus 8 other team from other leagues.

50% of all prize money is paid equally to all competing teams. The rest is performance based

Edited by CVByrne

the proposed super league looks horrendous...ok not quite as bad as the original one but still protects the elite. even if you're 'relegated' from the top league, you still stay in a good european competition. chelsea could get relegated from the PL and remain in the top european competition. meanwhile we could win the PL and only make it into the 'blue' competition, rather than testing ourselves against some of european's elite like newcastle have just done.

it's just absurd

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Awol said:

Premier League authorities are having none of it

Another one of our many Brexit benefits as well is that British law ( assuming they get their arse in gear and sign off on the football regulator thing  ) means that British clubs won’t be allowed to join and can’t appeal to the ECJ about it either 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

the proposed super league looks horrendous...ok not quite as bad as the original one but still protects the elite. even if you're 'relegated' from the top league, you still stay in a good european competition. chelsea could get relegated from the PL and remain in the top european competition. meanwhile we could win the PL and only make it into the 'blue' competition, rather than testing ourselves against some of european's elite like newcastle have just done.

it's just absurd

The super league is just the proposal of Barca and Madrid now. Any group can propose a format now though

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

The league that wanted to play a 39th game. They really love the fans

Course not, they are fighting for their own commercial interests, but those interests happen to align with fans wishes on this issue. That’s all. 

• Like 3

If this goes ahead, football is finished. Those that go will contribute to a league of fake competition. Those that don't will be left in a competition whose value has been compromised.

Remember when the FA Cup and League Cup meant something? The domestic league would be like those competitions in 5 years.

• Like 1

This will never, ever happen. 

The Premier League wouldn't allow it.

German cultural expectancies would never allow it. 

Atletico Madrid and Seville have already ruled themselves out.

Who exactly is competing in this league?

Â