Berbatov, Van Persie or Van Nistelrooy?

maqroll

Berbatov, Van Persie or Van Nistelrooy?  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you have preferred at Villa?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/05/22 at 08:51

Van Nistelrooy all day. 

I remember when he signed for UTD, it was about £19m which was a big fee at the time, and I was watching a European game with my Dad not long after he’d signed (can’t remember the opponent) and he didn’t look particularly good tbh. I remember saying to my Dad ‘£19m, UTD have been had in the bag’

Later on in the game he scored a goal from an absolutely ridiculous angle and my Dad just turned to me and said ‘that’s what £19m gets you son’

Such a top striker. 

Really difficult question.

I adored Bertatov's  lackadaisical approach and the way he could do brilliant things so effortlessly.

I loved how powerful Ruud was, at Utd, he could run with the ball and he had great balance, poise and really quick feet.

Van Persie is probably a bit of a mix between the two, he could score amazing goals, but was also a real threat as a 9, plus he was left footed, which is always better.

If I were in charge of villa and could pick one, it would be Ruud, because we often need a ruthless finisher, rather than someone with style and panache.

Edited by lapal_fan
  • Like 2

In the 3-2 defeat against scumchester united  FA Cup in ‘02 Van nistelrooy was warming up in front of us, I was front row of trinity, and I gave him absolute dogs abuse called him a horse’s twin brother amongst other things.

2-0 up I was giving it the big un aged 20. He just kept a straight face as if to say I’ll show you you prick.

End of the game he came back to where I was seated and did that warm up routine again. I had to applaud the bastid after his two goals won the game for the scum. 

World Class.

Edited by Sulberto21
  • Haha 1

I posed this question because for me, it's a really difficult decision. 

I loved the languid nonchalance of Berbatov. 

I admired the elegance of RVP.

RVN was an assassin and goal machine.

But I suppose if you were to combine all three, the result might resemble Van Persie the most.

• Like 3

Would have Van Nistelrooy last to be honest.  Fantastic "fox in the box" but really delivered very little else.

Van Persie comfortably the most complete player - and the one I voted for - but Berbatov would be the most fun.

• Like 2

Depends what you want.

If you just want a goal machine, it's Ruud. The man just scored. Lethal finisher in a team that was almost supernaturally good at making chances, of course it resulted in goals.

Berbatov is one of a very rare breed of striker that could pretty much walk around the pitch and make the ball move like it was remote controlled, and as a result scored all sorts of goals and pull an absolutely beautiful finish out of nothing. The kind of striker you love to watch but probably not as ruthlessly effective.

RvP is a mix of the 2, more of a complete striker and more of a team player. More dynamic than RvN and more involved in general play than Berbatov.

If you have a team that will create chances in the box, Ruud will score the most.

A good team that doesn't ruthlessly create chances will get more from Berbatov, and you'll get some moments of pure magic.

RvP could fit into any side and make it succeed, but wouldn't score as ruthlessly as RvN or be quite as brilliant to watch as Berbatov, but the team would probably enjoy playing with him more.

• Like 2

I looked the three up just now as I'd forgotten what their honours in England looked like. The Dutchmen aren't as good as I remembered.

RvN won everything domestically over a 5 year run in England but for how much he scored he probably would feel he should have won more (and his record is ridiculous - 150 goals in 219 apps) - 1 League, 1 FA Cup, 1 League Cup . RvP has a good scoring record, especially considering he picked up lots of injuries and played originally as a wider forward, but also didn't leave England with a massive trophy cabinet - 1 League and 1 FA Cup in a decade playing for top 4 sides. Berbatov is a 1 in 2.5ish striker and won 4 trophies - 2 Leagues, 2 League Cups.

I think the only one making any GOAT list is RvN, based purely on how many goals he scored - a better than 1 in 2 record over his career, which also was blighted with injury, is hard to brush over. But he wouldn't be very high up that list as he didn't win anything with a club at European level and didn't do much internationally either.

It would be interesting to see where they'd rank on a PL all-time greatest list. Or how many would pick any of them if you asked fans across the country which striker in their prime from the PL era they'd want.

van Persie one of my favourite ever players, even before he became prolific. Some of his goals and skills were just sublime.

Only a preseason tournament, but this is one of my fav goals ever

Loved Berba as well, and RvN was RvN!

• Like 1

Â