The rising cost of living

StefanAVFC

On 22/04/2024 at 19:46, Xela said:

175.9p yesterday.

179.9p today.

• 2 weeks later...

For quite a while now local chain pub restaurants round here have been offering big discounts on main means. Marstons seem to have 30% off 75% of the time and Beefeater have been running 40% recently too.

I assume this is more down to them being greedy with the prices over the last 12-18 months and now struggling sell meals at the full menu prices.

2 hours ago, Genie said:

For quite a while now local chain pub restaurants round here have been offering big discounts on main means. Marstons seem to have 30% off 75% of the time and Beefeater have been running 40% recently too.

I assume this is more down to them being greedy with the prices over the last 12-18 months and now struggling sell meals at the full menu prices.

Pal of mine mentioned the Marstons offer... think he uses The Gate in Amington. Said they can't keep up with demand when its 30% off. 

18 minutes ago, Xela said:

Pal of mine mentioned the Marstons offer... think he uses The Gate in Amington. Said they can't keep up with demand when its 30% off. 

It’s only a small place so yeah I could understand that. Nice place for a drink outside on a hot day (next to the canal).

The Wolverston Arms and The Longwood both regularly doing 30% off mains the last few months too.

Beefeater were doing 40% off via their facebook page.

Luckly I'm running an EV. but have still noticed fuel stations, taking the complete piss out of us, Diesel £1.68 at a local shell, I think it maybe to pay for the Ev chargers just fitted, most expersive I have seen apart from at the Services. £1.48 at tesco about a mile away. Total Energies up by the Villa Witton road £1.41.

No being funny if they can sell fuel at £1,41 litre, I'd say most of the others are taking advantage of the consumer. An you no what frustrates me, their is f*** all we can do about it, apart from avoid the rip off Fuel stations, which sometimes is not possible

The supermarkets used to hold the market down but in the last couple of years they have also moved to charge as much as they can get away with rather than the least.

Maybe it was since the Issa brothers bought Asda.

10 hours ago, Genie said:

Maybe it was since the Issa brothers bought Asda.

Definitely. Monopolies and Mergers Commission **** right up there.

Sainsbury's by me is ALWAYS much cheaper than the adjacent BP and Shell to be fair. The fact those others still exist proves a substantial number of people just don't give a shit what they're paying because Sainsbury's is just as easy to use as either of them regardless of which side of the road you're on. 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Sainsbury's by me is ALWAYS much cheaper than the adjacent BP and Shell to be fair. The fact those others still exist proves a substantial number of people just don't give a shit what they're paying because Sainsbury's is just as easy to use as either of them regardless of which side of the road you're on. 

Sainsbury’s here is opposite Asda and they just price match each other so if one goes up they both go up.

Then everyone just holds that sort of lowest price. Garages that were always 10p (or more) a litre more expensive are about the same as the supermarkets now. 

5 hours ago, sidcow said:

We have a Co-op on the edge of town and petrol there is always held at 5p per litre higher than the Tesco that’s 1 mile further down the road.

The Co-op petrol station is always busy. The reality is, many people bitch about the cost of fuel, then fuel up somewhere expensive, then drive like a dick and waste fuel. They’ll buy their expensive petrol, accelerate hard out of the garage to the junction 30 metres away, accelerate hard across the junction, speed up the road to be at the back of the queue at the traffic lights at the Tesco petrol station junction. Then straight home to bitch about petrol prices on the internet.

• Like 2

f9597240-142c-11ef-a3a3-f5f836f933a0.jpg.4fbde3af516f9cf00ccd70f5d330f37c.jpg

The boss of Severn Trent has defended her multi-million pound pay package despite sewage spills by the company rising by a third in 2023.

Liv Garfield was awarded £3.2m in pay, bonuses and shares last year, while over the past four years she has earned nearly £13m.

Severn Trent was responsible for more than 60,000 sewage spills last year which Ms Garfield told the BBC Today programme "doesn't make me feel good".

BBC

The nation of mugs shat on again.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Genie said:

Sainsbury’s here is opposite Asda and they just price match each other so if one goes up they both go up.

Then everyone just holds that sort of lowest price. Garages that were always 10p (or more) a litre more expensive are about the same as the supermarkets now. 

My guide price ones are currently down 2p per litre for Diesel and have been for at least two weeks. £1.47.9

1 minute ago, bickster said:

My guide price ones are currently down 2p per litre for Diesel and have been for at least two weeks. £1.47.9

Cheapest here for Diesel is £1.54.9 I think. Tamworth always used to be relatively cheap but it has reversed in recent years.

8 hours ago, sidcow said:

I genuinely think that masses and masses of people don't understand money. Not sure whether it's a lack of maths understanding or what. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Brumstopdogs said:

Another cheaper dual fuel tariff has come out with British Gas (v4) £25 annual saving for me so might be worth others looking into @Genie

Cheers mate, just hopped on that. £25 saving and a new 12 month period fixed

• Like 1

Thames water asking the regulator to let them raise prices by 60%. And they aren’t even the worst by any stretch. 
Time to bring  water back into public ownership. 

6 minutes ago, choffer said:

Thames water asking the regulator to let them raise prices by 60%. And they aren’t even the worst by any stretch. 

91% requested elsewhere. I wonder if bonuses and dividends will go up by the same amount.

3 hours ago, choffer said:

Thw whole system is corrupt

Â