Battle for top half finish

turvontour

16 minutes ago, Xela said:

Ok, devils advocate here, but we finished 11th last season, probably similar this season. Doesn't that suggest the ceiling has been reached with a number of players? 

Are we guilty of overrating our players? Perhaps the bulk are mid table fodder. 

But we have better players now than we had finishing 11th last season other than Grealish going, we've bought in 5 quality players, El Ghazi and Traore were playing for us last season, Ramsey was nowhere near as good. 

How many Palace players get in our team? Gallagher, Zaha, one of the CBs perhaps. Yet they were the much better side for much of the game on our own patch, that really is on the manager I'm sorry.

We're gonna end well down the league. Brentford end above us now. So 13th maybe 14th. Loss of millions in income

As bad a season as I can remember. The last 4 were better even losing the playoff final to Fulham was a better season

We draw with Burnley and we'll probably end 15th actually. A complete **** shambles and a total **** disgrace. £11m less in income Vs 10th 

Really gonna hinder us this summer with signings and our FFP for 3 years as it'll stay in our accounts

11 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

We're gonna end well down the league. Brentford end above us now. So 13th maybe 14th. Loss of millions in income

As bad a season as I can remember. The last 4 were better even losing the playoff final to Fulham was a better season

How old are you man? don't you remember the relegation season

Poor season overall and that’s Smith and Gerrard’s fault.  Not enough points but for me there have been far more poor performances than good ones.  I can take being where we are in the league but not the performances.

• Like 2

It's not in anyway Gerrard's fault it's been a poor season, if the season had have started when Gerrard was appointed we would be one point off eighth now with a game in hand.

I don't actually think the poor season is any one person's fault, we've just been victim to a series of unfortunate circumstances that have all accumulated to make it a difficult season.

To be honest given the circumstances I think the season has been disappointing rather than 'poor', a poor season would have been us being involved in a relegation battle, it would have been nice do it whilst finishing top half, but consolidating ourselves as a midtable team isn't bad progress, was always very unlikely that we were going to go from barley surving, to midtable, to Europe, in just three seasons.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, useless said:

It's not in anyway Gerrard's fault it's been a poor season, if the season had have started when Gerrard was appointed we would be one point off eighth now with a game in hand.

I don't actually think the poor season is any one person's fault, we've just been victim to a series of unfortunate circumstances that have all accumulated to make it a difficult season.

To be honest given the circumstances I think the season has been disappointing rather than 'poor', a poor season would have been us being involved in a relegation battle, it would have been nice do it whilst finishing top half, but consolidating ourselves as a midtable team isn't bad progress, was always very unlikely that we were going to go from barley surving, to midtable, to Europe, in just three seasons.

I think it’s been a poor season and it’s Gerrard and Smith’s fault.  It can’t be argued that we have some quality in our squad, maybe not enough but neither Smith or Gerrard has got enough out of them.  They have both made many bad decisions but also had some unluckiness.  The football on the whole has been tough to watch.  

Neither has a pass mark from me for this season and that is based on their circumstances taken into consideration.  Gerrard obviously gets more time because he’s the manager and is new but needs to improve next season considerably.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, messi11 said:

A season to forget 

In some ways I agree. It's been a pretty frustrating one. 

From the Grealish not playing in the euros, to his transfer saga, then a really disrupted start to the season with injuries and covid. Bailey looking great against Everton and then out injured again. Smith getting sacked. Football under Gerrard with ups and downs and probably a bottom half finish, it's certainly not one I'll be thinking back on fondly in a few years. 

Some positives though. Great January window for one. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

League position wise? Probably can't expect much more. 

Personally I was hoping to see something that made me think, yes it was absolutely worth not giving Smith anymore time and this is the man to get us into that top 8 position. I've seen bits here and there but I've also seen a lot to make me think next year might be a struggle again. 

I know his points since coming in are top half but I'm not sure how much that means. It's like when people carry on form or statistics from a few games one season and then into the next. There are so many variables at play. 

I would also say he's working with the strongest squad we've had since MON. Our strength in depth at times, compared to the last two years, is unreal. 

Ultimately we will see what it looks like over next season. I'm absolutely in the Gerrard in camp and I'm excited to see the kind of talent we sign in the summer. I hope he's not just a name who can attract players though. 

I think there's way more positives than negatives but it hasn't blown me away at this point. 

It’s a squad game and we simply haven’t a strong enough squad yet to compete with the top 8. Games are inevitable won in midfield and ours very rarely win the midfield battle. Time and time again it gets overrun, we need more energy and quality in there. 

Just now, WHY said:

It’s a squad game and we simply haven’t a strong enough squad yet to compete with the top 8. Games are inevitable won in midfield and ours very rarely win the midfield battle. Time and time again it gets overrun, we need more energy and quality in there. 

Oh I agree. I wasn't suggesting this current squad are good enough. We need a couple of big signings in the summer. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I think it’s been a poor season and it’s Gerrard and Smith’s fault.  It can’t be argued that we have some quality in our squad, maybe not enough but neither Smith or Gerrard has got enough out of them.  They have both made many bad decisions but also had some unluckiness.  The football on the whole has been tough to watch.  

Neither has a pass mark from me for this season and that is based on their circumstances taken into consideration.  Gerrard obviously gets more time because he’s the manager and is new but needs to improve next season considerably.

I think thats pretty fair.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Not sure I agree.  

This squad, first half of last season could turn it on.  

Smith got sacked because he failed to continue that but for a significant amount of time we could play good football and take points.  That first half of season we were really good.

Yes Grealish left but we brought in Ings, Bailey, Buendia, Digne and Coutinho…that’s not too shabby!

This squad isn’t great but it was a young squad, not a squad on their last legs and have done it before.  Yes, Gerrard needs more time but I’m not having this is a poor squad.  

Smith couldn’t continue that tune he got out of them and got fired for it but aside from a few flashes neither has Gerrard.

I must have been watching a different team to you first half of the season mate. Yes we bought players in but without replacing the positions that were needed. We have needed a DM for 3 seasons now and didn’t actually buy anyone to replace Grealish on the left. The squad might have a bit more quality but it’s not balanced.

48 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

if Brentford finish above us, I shall see it as a poor season. Gerrard should too!!

Sheff United finished top 10 the other season.

Brentford have done great. It won't last. 

11 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

The problem is that its an unbalanced squad. As someone pointed out earlier we have the same central midfielders now as when we came up. I’d say the combination of Marvelous, Dougie and SJM is a central midfield that screams lower mid table. In fact you could say that’s being generous. Individually they’re all ok and on their day can be great. But as a central 3 they’re not going to dominate many games. 

But the first half of last season, all that half we did so well.  That’s all forgotten.  Yes I believe our midfield is a major problem but and I mean but they did so well until Xmas that season.  

Anyway we move forward and need more but there needs to be more fixed than just buying new players will do.

Â