Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Southampton

limpid

Match Polls  

245 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Referee's performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/03/22 at 00:00

subs vs watford lost the game but credit where its due his subs yesterday were quality. sureing up the midfield by taking a striker off for sanson was sensible. they were getting back into it at the time

3 hours ago, Robtaylor200 said:

chatting to another old fogie  a guy called Dave Cash found out he sang several of the Villa records that had been released over the years Carbone, Holte Enders in the sky and others, he was the guy many years ago that was M.C and stood on the pitch in a pink suit. Look him up on Youtube. 

Dave Chance, you mean. I remember him well. 

Thirty thousand Villa fans wanted to kill him that day, not for the pink suit(although it was a monstrosity) but for giving us an awful rendition of YNWA. Before playing Liverpool. 

The arse. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Robtaylor200 said:

image.png.6699e05122fdc155c68517fc147119b2.png

Signal so bad in the North stand I couldn't cash out at 4 up.

I think I say it on behalf of all Villa fans that you are a traitor that you thought we were going to concede and only win by 3! 😉😂😂😂

I was just praying for a 1-0 especially after seeing the starting line up. How wrong I was!

• Haha 1

Great result, great goals but not sure it was a great performance.

We seemed to alternate between spluttering and sublime. One minute we were struggling to string two passes together, the next we were slicing through them.😀

Biggest surprise of the day was Coutinho not scoring on the stroke of halftime. I expected him to dance around the keeper, do a couple of tricks and then back-heel it in.!

Could be Southampton are a side like Brighton who flatter to deceive. Their passing was generally better than ours but had no edge or end product. Our record against our mini-league rivals is pretty good and we are left to rue dropped points against the likes of Watford, Brentford, Leeds and Newcastle.

Ref was pretty good for most of the game but had a sticky patch around 60/70 minutes. Better than most we have seen but easy to say when we win 4-0 and have no VAR controversy.

As players return from injury the bench looks stronger and gives considerable options for SG.

Same again on Thursday night will do nicely but you never know which Villa or Leeds will turn up!

Onwards!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Lochheads twin said:

We seemed to alternate between spluttering and sublime. One minute we were struggling to string two passes together, the next we were slicing through them.😀

Biggest surprise of the day was Coutinho not scoring on the stroke of halftime. I expected him to dance around the keeper, do a couple of tricks and then back-heel it in.!

Could be Southampton are a side like Brighton who flatter to deceive. Their passing was generally better than ours but had no edge or end product. Our record against our mini-league rivals is pretty good and we are left to rue dropped points against the likes of Watford, Brentford, Leeds and Newcastle.

Ref was pretty good for most of the game but had a sticky patch around 60/70 minutes. Better than most we have seen but easy to say when we win 4-0 and have no VAR controversy.

As players return from injury the bench looks stronger and gives considerable options for SG.

Same again on Thursday night will do nicely but you never know which Villa or Leeds will turn up!

Onwards!

I think this is pretty accurate to where I am at the end of yesterday. The inability to dominate or when we do dominate possession, to have a plan or structure; is why we lost at Brentford, Newcastle and home to Watford. When the opposition back off and let us have the ball, we don’t really know what to do. When Ramsey plays well, we do have a plan - to dribble and drive through the lines, (like we did with Jack). When he’s not quite on it, like yesterday, there is no plan b of how to move the ball forward through the lines , against a defence. In broken play and transitioning- we are formidable and have a great front 4/5 for that type of a game. Just not a great middle for when teams let us have the ball yet! 

1 hour ago, rjw63 said:

Dave Chance, you mean. I remember him well. 

Thirty thousand Villa fans wanted to kill him that day, not for the pink suit(although it was a monstrosity) but for giving us an awful rendition of YNWA. Before playing Liverpool. 

The arse. 

Yep that's the man.Also sang the Dight York Dwight York song , Benito Carbone one and Holte Enders in the sky.  He was actually telling me about that rendition. he swears it was not his idea, but that of the commercial manager. 26 years in the job of M.C. and Villa through and through doesn't get free tickets, that's a shame really. 

6 hours ago, Robtaylor200 said:

Wow what a day. Was working the night before. Just about to go to bed for a couple of hours and the brother in-law rings to tell me his mate at the pub has three free tickets up the North Stand and my sister couldn't go, did me and the lad want to come.  Obviously a yes from me 

Mrs T said "how can you be so tired one minute and then be suddenly wide awake and buzzing the next you little Shite" I phoned the lad and told him he said he would check with the Daughter in-law if it was OK. The conversation I heard was "who's on the phone ?"   "Dad" "Is everything OK ?"   "Yes I'm going to the match"

My first time in the North stand for many years, may be my last if planning goes through. Drinking my bovril  (the lad wouldn't have one, he said last time he did we lost)  Got chatting to another old fogie  a guy called Dave Cash found out he sang several of the Villa records that had been released over the years Carbone, Holte Enders in the sky and others, he was the guy many years ago that was M.C and stood on the pitch in a pink suit. Look him up on Youtube. 

Brilliant game Mings MOT for me, rock solid, took no crap and bossed them all. Again I thought the Holte were quieter than we were apart from the goals of course. Signal is so bad in around VP I couldn't get to cash my bet in (how do people manage that live near, or is it the mass all trying at once ?) took hours to get away and to get home. Lord knows how long it will take when another 8,000 are there. 

Got home happy and tired, curry, three Rum and cokes and crashed out at 9pm. Well worth it. 

VTID

Brilliant post, just disappointed we haven’t also got a fuller account Mrs T’s take on the day, apart form one very pithy quote from early on. 😀

1 hour ago, tommytenjobs said:

For me, a Really odd game yesterday. We created loads of good chances, should have scored at least two, three more and yet….I didn’t think we were very good.

1 hour ago, Lochheads twin said:

Evidence that it IS possible to see your team joyously overwhelm a team that has previously been playing better than you to win 4-0, and yet still manage to discover some considerable gloom in the situation.

Would love to have seen your takes on a certain match in Rotterdam in May 1982. 😉

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

Evidence that it IS possible to see your team joyously overwhelm a team that has previously been playing better than you to win 4-0, and yet still manage to discover some considerable gloom in the situation.

Would love to have seen your takes on a certain match in Rotterdam in May 1982. 😉

No gloom mate, just an opinion that we need to play better than that to be classed as great. Haven’t seen anyone say it was bad, just not “great”.

ok. I’ll take the bait😀

Rotterdam was as good team performance with a great result. We took our only chance well. A historic day for us and still fondly remembered. Man of the match. Spink by a mile.😂

Edited by Lochheads twin
Typo

1 hour ago, tommytenjobs said:

For me, a Really odd game yesterday. We created loads of good chances, should have scored at least two, three more and yet….I didn’t think we were very good. The first half especially was disjointed, poor passing and in often it looked like our only plan to move the ball from back to front was the channel hump from mings, chambers or cash. It’s nice to win so comfortably and we look exciting going forward on the break and in broken transitions. But….I feel the inconsistency from game to game is borne from still not really having a plan in possession itself or of how to move the ball through the lines on a regular basis. As I said, feels churlish To be thinking about how to improve or the weaknesses when you come away from a game thinking we could have won by 7/8…..maybe I’m a glass half full kind of a guy? 😳

I'd agree with you - a great win and let's all enjoy it but it doesn't mean everything is suddenly fixed.  There was still a lot of wayward passing and lack of movement at times,  we conceded a lot of possession, especially second half where the midfield seemed to disappear for a while,  which better teams would have exploited,  and again sometimes struggled to play it out from the back which often led to those channel balls being played. 

When we attacked though we cut through them, and we defended pretty solidly too, in no small part due to an excellent performance from Chambers - gave him MOTM not only because I wasn't really expecting him to be that good but also for the pass of the season into Coutinho.  

Great to see that Watkins and Ings can play together and both score and some of Coutinho's play was sublime.  One worry for me is Ramsey who has seemed off the pace in the last 3-4 games games and yesterday it  seemed to largely pass him by.  Thought Sanson and Buendia both looked good in their cameos and maybe a rest for Ramsey is due?

Finally, although he had his moments, finally a decent ref.   

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Xela said:

We're not going to win every game, thats why we are a mid table team. Some people don't see that though. 

We certainly aren't no. But I expected to beat a totally inept Watford and Leeds. Newcastle we could argue, but that's 6 of the easiest points dropped. Lets hope we have turned a corner.

When we see the Villa tear apart a team, like we did Southampton yesterday, we can only blame the work ethic when we loose against the Watfords.

16 hours ago, Zatman said:

Was it makeshift? Young is better than the guy playing there and Chambers didn't deserve dropping 

Yes because digne is first choice left back

And konsa is first choice centre back

20 hours ago, maqroll said:

2 Brazilian internationals scored for Villa today, how cool is that? 

But apparently not the first time for Villa, which is wild.

(Luiz, Wesley)

Â