Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Southampton

limpid

Match Polls  

245 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Referee's performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/03/22 at 00:00

22 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

spacer.png

Was not expecting that. Very pleased that we have turned a corner with this manager/squad. Just need to keep up this work rate a bit more often. Don’t mind losing, it’s the nature of the performances during the recent losing streak that wound me up so this was brilliant to see today. Not going to get too excited as it’s Villa but fingers crossed this run continues and I’ll be more than happy to eat my words come the end of the season. 

It was amarked difference....first to the ball on many occasions, showed the necessary aggression and assertiveness.

22 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Top performance.

See how much easier it is playing likes of Southampton when we come out wide awake and score early instead of gifting a goal to them? Then they have to open up a bit and we exploited the space brilliantly, should've scored more than four today.

Reminded me of Derby at home in the promotion season. Declared at four.

Loads of good performances today, Broja is a good striker but barely had a kick v Mings and yes brilliant ball from Chambers for the second. Cash was brilliant today. Easily best link up between Ings and Watkins aswell, wouldn't have had any issue if they were doing that six months ago.

If we want to be seriously in contention for europa next season we have to sign Coutinho full time. He ensures we win 2-3 more home games next season than we generally do on average as they couldn't get near him all afternoon.

That tackle by McGinn on Romeu, was a peg in the ground......it set the marker, for the game.....its been missing, and it set the tone, for us to be quicker to the ball.

Sure the technical stuff was great.....but we got the ugly stuff right, yesterday too.

best Game I have seen Dougie Luiz play for us, and not just because of the goal.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Ponky said:

I thought McGinn was crucial in that first 25 minutes when we weren't getting much traction in the midfield. 

Coutinho clear motm but on another day could have easily been Ings or Cash. 

Cash has clearly been told to cut it back whenever possible rather than just blaze it across the goal as he had been doing and it's worked superbly for him. 

I think your first line has much credence......McGinn on Romeu, set the tone, for me.

21 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Brilliant.

I thought we set up really well, back four was a shock to everyone except @Adman (fair play to you fella!) but we looked comfortable in our shape from early on. I thought we defended well, as we have done for the last couple of games and looked compact and difficult to beat.

The difference today though was the bit of fluency that was coming through front three - I thought all three played well and all three could have had another goal - Southampton in the first half had lots of the ball around our box without really threatening and then every chance we made was a good one.

Watkins did really well for his goal, the ball from Chambers was excellent for Luiz's goal and it was good to see him get one after a couple of years away from it, I thought Coutinho's ball down the line for Cash to set up Ings was great and that his patience in waiting for the right moment for his own poke through the keepers leg deserved a lot of credit.

We look good - we look solid, we create good chances and we have brilliant individuals - this was a very good day.

Selecting a man of the match for this one was difficult, I got down to three, Coutinho, Chambers and Luiz and plumped for Coutinho but I can see how you could pick out just about anyone - well done to the manager and the coaching team who have made changes and tweaks since Leeds and have got us working a lot better and it'll be interesting to see how Leeds deal with us on Thursday - things have changed.

More of this please.

That emboldened bit was such a welcome sign for me and John McGinns challenge on Romeu, set the tone for me.

Perhaps one of the most pleasing things to see for me, apart from the front 2 lads looking like a proper partnership.....was the performance of Dougie Luiz, I am not his biggest fan, but that was his best Game imo.

It wasn't just his goal either, he looked composed, he looked confident and he had time.....fab performance from him.

Coutinho, just blew me away, with his vision, composure and a willingness to hurt opponents.....I think his presence, is having an effect on Dougie too.

didn't see this one coming, as they have been the form team in the division.

Well done to SG too.....He needed that for his own confidence in the group.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, nick76 said:

Just got home.  

It was nice to watch the game in the Holte feeling comfortable that the win was assured and I could really enjoy the match.  

I’ve criticised Danny and Ollie but great goals and good link up play for the first goal.  

Nice to see Coutinho sitting behind the front two and it working.  

Coutinho was a dream in parts, could’ve easily had a hat trick.  

Just a happy bunny tonight!

We all have Nick.

But they are too good, to be no good.....They have proved they can play together.

Its all about the link up, play as you say.....Coutinho was Like Andre Previn, the conductor, leading the Orchestra.

He was fabulous....his vision, timing, composure and no shrinking violet either, he can take a challenge.....great player.

Also,I thought Chambers was very good defensively as well as his fabulous looped ball.....and Matty cash was sublime too.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, DJ_Villain said:

My family and I have lived in the New Forest since the Mid-90s - so we have been surrounded by Saints fans for nearly 30 years.

Ive got a soft spot for them and like to see them do well and win - unless it’s against the Villa or Villas best interests…

So for us to hammer them and me to be humble has been a pleasant but challenging day 🤣

I'll bet it's cold.😀

Said earlier in the thread I fancied Villa to edge it but didn't expect a 4-0 battering. Seen a few times this season the team is capable of having a 10-15 minute period where can just blow teams away and score 2/3 goals but it was good to see a good performance in both halves of football. Be interesting to see whether he sticks with the same front three against Leeds or does he mix it up a bit, was the first time we had all 6 attacking players available and still feels weird that can take off Coutinho and bring on Buendia. Can't remember the last time had this much depth in attacking areas whereas in recent years its felt like if Grealish was out we were in trouble. 

They don't come much better than that....

However, if we have aspirations of Europe our ambitions will only be realised if we have better possession Stats.

Its not possible to sustain winning football with 34% possession stats....even if you can now and again.

10 hours ago, Robtaylor200 said:

Mrs T. Well I am one lucky guy there. I didn't meet Sarah until I was 50 she is is my second wife, my best friend and my soul mate we have been together now14 years. She doesn't  get all the hype and emotion of football fans. But she loves the fact that it makes me happy, also that I get time to spend with the lad, and always has my favorite shirts ready incase I go to the match or I want to change at halftime when watching on the TV. When on holiday I will go to a bar to watch and she will have a mooch around the shops and join me for last 15 minutes. The only time she wasn't so keen was when I left her by the hotel pool in Sharm to watch Villa vs Blues (when gabby scored a dubious penalty) on our honeymoon. But as I explained it was Villa vs Blues.

So she was pleased I was able to go to watch the game, happy for me that we had won, has no interest in football but knew the score !. I text her as I start second leg of the journey home from the lads in Cannock back to Telford and she orders the food so that it arrives shortly after I do.

Like you Rob, I have been very Lucky with my catch, been married 45 years, I was with Andy Gray when we met my Mrs, in the Aero club all those years back......she was born in Holte Rd, and is still an avid Villa Fan, we both have season Tickets, and she has a good understanding of the game.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, TRO said:

However, if we have aspirations of Europe our ambitions will only be realised if we have better possession Stats.

Its not possible to sustain winning football with 34% possession stats....even if you can now and again.

In fairness, they didn’t do anything of note with their possession. Emi pulled off one top class save. Their efforts were otherwise massively off target. We contained them very well and did little to give away too many free kicks despite their theatrics - looking at you Che Adams. 

Romeu should have been sent off though. 

• Like 1

On 05/03/2022 at 21:32, LondonVillian said:

best performance of the season for me. 

Dont think emi makes back into the team if ings & watkins & coutinho is working so well

Its a squad now....Emi will get his opportunities.

On 06/03/2022 at 05:09, A'Villan said:

Great display!

Got to keep the momentum going as we are playing for keeps when it comes to Coutinho and the like come season's end.

We have some challenging fixtures on the horizon, and it will be a test of out togetherness and game plan, no doubt.

I have no questions about the abilities of individuals and the personnel we have. It's how it comes together and how often that is the case that will reveal if this team is ready for challenging silverware or European placing. 

I thought the mentality, was the best I have seen all season.....Thats down to the players and coaches, application.

• Like 2

On 06/03/2022 at 05:16, Robtaylor200 said:

Wow what a day. Was working the night before. Just about to go to bed for a couple of hours and the brother in-law rings to tell me his mate at the pub has three free tickets up the North Stand and my sister couldn't go, did me and the lad want to come.  Obviously a yes from me 

Mrs T said "how can you be so tired one minute and then be suddenly wide awake and buzzing the next you little Shite" I phoned the lad and told him he said he would check with the Daughter in-law if it was OK. The conversation I heard was "who's on the phone ?"   "Dad" "Is everything OK ?"   "Yes I'm going to the match"

My first time in the North stand for many years, may be my last if planning goes through. Drinking my bovril  (the lad wouldn't have one, he said last time he did we lost)  Got chatting to another old fogie  a guy called Dave Cash found out he sang several of the Villa records that had been released over the years Carbone, Holte Enders in the sky and others, he was the guy many years ago that was M.C and stood on the pitch in a pink suit. Look him up on Youtube. 

Brilliant game Mings MOT for me, rock solid, took no crap and bossed them all. Again I thought the Holte were quieter than we were apart from the goals of course. Signal is so bad in around VP I couldn't get to cash my bet in (how do people manage that live near, or is it the mass all trying at once ?) took hours to get away and to get home. Lord knows how long it will take when another 8,000 are there. 

Got home happy and tired, curry, three Rum and cokes and crashed out at 9pm. Well worth it. 

VTID

What a small world, Rob,  I remember Dave, very well and that incident in the Pink suit, where he inadvertently sang "you'll never walk alone"on the pitch( He was actually told to sing it , by the hierarchy and he questioned it, but was overruled)....but we was playing Liverpool and he subsequently got the bird from the Villa fans, I've never seen a face so red......I was talking to him in the Aston Social afterwards, he was distraught, at being such a donut....I thought his name was Dave Chance, but hey ho, it's the same guy.

On one occasion ,I lost my car keys on the Holte End, when it was all standing, and he let me in after the game, and we found them .....Phew!!! dodgy moment.....really nice guy, is Dave.

bet you're glad you never missed that one Rob....one for the archives.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TRO said:

Sounds very wise TRO, but have a look at West Ham, who I guess are the most likely breakthrough team to get European football of some type this season. They regularly have the lower performance stats in all but their games with the very worst - they have only dominated Watford and Norwich in the premier league in recent months (as you would).

So this may not be a rule for all time.

On 06/03/2022 at 05:16, Robtaylor200 said:

Wow what a day. Was working the night before. Just about to go to bed for a couple of hours and the brother in-law rings to tell me his mate at the pub has three free tickets up the North Stand and my sister couldn't go, did me and the lad want to come.  Obviously a yes from me 

Mrs T said "how can you be so tired one minute and then be suddenly wide awake and buzzing the next you little Shite" I phoned the lad and told him he said he would check with the Daughter in-law if it was OK. The conversation I heard was "who's on the phone ?"   "Dad" "Is everything OK ?"   "Yes I'm going to the match"

My first time in the North stand for many years, may be my last if planning goes through. Drinking my bovril  (the lad wouldn't have one, he said last time he did we lost)  Got chatting to another old fogie  a guy called Dave Cash found out he sang several of the Villa records that had been released over the years Carbone, Holte Enders in the sky and others, he was the guy many years ago that was M.C and stood on the pitch in a pink suit. Look him up on Youtube. 

Brilliant game Mings MOT for me, rock solid, took no crap and bossed them all. Again I thought the Holte were quieter than we were apart from the goals of course. Signal is so bad in around VP I couldn't get to cash my bet in (how do people manage that live near, or is it the mass all trying at once ?) took hours to get away and to get home. Lord knows how long it will take when another 8,000 are there. 

Got home happy and tired, curry, three Rum and cokes and crashed out at 9pm. Well worth it. 

VTID

I am rightly told that it was Dave Chance that I met and not Dave Chase.  Sorry Dave UTV

• Like 1

17 hours ago, briny_ear said:

Sounds very wise TRO, but have a look at West Ham, who I guess are the most likely breakthrough team to get European football of some type this season. They regularly have the lower performance stats in all but their games with the very worst - they have only dominated Watford and Norwich in the premier league in recent months (as you would).

So this may not be a rule for all time.

I always say Brin, there is an exception for every rule.

However, I guess if a league table was compiled ( and I haven't done it) on the average possession stats, I would guess it would look very familiar.

Ps just checked the 2020/21 stats, as I suspected Brin...... 2 exceptions Leeds at 4th place with 57.6% and West Ham at 15th place with 42.8%

All the rest are Commensurate, there or thereabouts with their league positions.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

Â