Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

2 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

Last night only one of our five summer transfer window signings started against Arsenal.

We turned two loan players including a bench sitting goalkeeper into permanent signings, bought in Kamara on a free transfer and bought the unfortunate Carlos who is now probably out for the season. We also bought a back up left back for the bench.

Today we've signed a CM who was surplus to his club's requirements and probably fourth choice at Wolves, and we're currently completing a loan move for an unwanted Southampton CB to act as a stop gap due to Carlos's injury. This allowed Southampton to go for a CB tonight who they believe is a definite improvement on the one that we've loaned from them.

We're 19th in the Premier League, and we are heading into a tough run of fixtures, our owners, CEO and head coach are apparently content to approximately break even in financial expenditure for the second season running rather than act at the sharp and expensive end of the transfer window.

Why were we fed the line that European football was our target this season? I would like an explanation from NSWE personally as to why we were misled.

Nobody at the club said that

Just now, Peter Griffin said:

Nobody at the club said that

Martinez said top 7 was the aim in an interview. 

During Australia the following was said:

"Christian Purslow was asked the question last night and, of course, we’ve got two ambitious owners. Johan, Christian and myself share the same vision and ambition to finish as high as we can in the table. If that inevitably means we snatch a European place, fantastic, because we’ve got to reach for the stars, of course we have. But the minimum for me is we’ve got to be operating in the top-half of the league.”

On gatecrashing the top six or seven, Gerrard commented: “It’s very difficult. It’s a huge challenge but we’ve got to be ambitious. We’ve got to believe. It’s not impossible. It’s happened before, you’ve seen it, you’ve seen the Leicester story which was epic. But, outside of that, you see teams like West Ham, you see Wolves, we’ve seen other teams really disrupt the top-six, huge clubs, and we need to take each game at a time.

“We don’t need to set any unnecessary targets but we want to be one of those teams that tries to upset the natural dynamics of the Premier League. That’s what we’ll try and do. It might take time, we might have to be patient but that’s the ambition of the club from the top down. We don’t want to be operating at 14th or at the lower-end of the table. We want to be ambitious and aim up and look up.”

Interesting Puslow said top half minimum. Let's see if he's true to that then.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

I'm sure that we were told that euro qualification was our target.

Absolutely not for this season. We said it would be nice to push for it but the club has said top half is the target this season and anything else is unacceptable (I am paraphrasing not quoting) 

A few years ago we were looking down our noses at Palace, S'hampton, Newcastle and the likes. Man do they look like they have a plan now. Even crazy S'hampton look like they've got a clear idea of what they want out of their squad, transfers and tactics. We're so scattershot.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Martinez said top 7 was the aim in an interview. 

During Australia the following was said:

"Christian Purslow was asked the question last night and, of course, we’ve got two ambitious owners. Johan, Christian and myself share the same vision and ambition to finish as high as we can in the table. If that inevitably means we snatch a European place, fantastic, because we’ve got to reach for the stars, of course we have. But the minimum for me is we’ve got to be operating in the top-half of the league.”

On gatecrashing the top six or seven, Gerrard commented: “It’s very difficult. It’s a huge challenge but we’ve got to be ambitious. We’ve got to believe. It’s not impossible. It’s happened before, you’ve seen it, you’ve seen the Leicester story which was epic. But, outside of that, you see teams like West Ham, you see Wolves, we’ve seen other teams really disrupt the top-six, huge clubs, and we need to take each game at a time.

“We don’t need to set any unnecessary targets but we want to be one of those teams that tries to upset the natural dynamics of the Premier League. That’s what we’ll try and do. It might take time, we might have to be patient but that’s the ambition of the club from the top down. We don’t want to be operating at 14th or at the lower-end of the table. We want to be ambitious and aim up and look up.”

Interesting Puslow said top half minimum. Let's see if he's true to that then.

Yep, as I said, the club did not say Europe this season, the aim is top half

Just now, Peter Griffin said:

Yep, as I said, the club did not say Europe this season, the aim is top half

10th is a complete pipe dream based on how we've played so far this season. You've got the usual top 6 then Brighton and Newcastle look the best of the rest based on what I've seen.

No one can say with any confidence that we'll be finishing above any of Palace, Brentford, West Ham etc. We didn't last season and look worse this season so it's just blind faith and crossing of fingers until we change manager.

3 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Even that'll be a challenge if we keep Gerrard. We are so bad at the moment even Man U are pulling away from us 😆

He will be sacked if we can't get top half. Purslow has made it clear that in the minimum acceptable

10 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

Last night only one of our five summer transfer window signings started against Arsenal.

We turned two loan players including a bench sitting goalkeeper into permanent signings, bought in Kamara on a free transfer and bought the unfortunate Carlos who is now probably out for the season. We also bought a back up left back for the bench.

Today we've signed a CM who was surplus to his club's requirements and probably fourth choice at Wolves, and we're currently completing a loan move for an unwanted Southampton CB to act as a stop gap due to Carlos's injury. This allowed Southampton to go for a CB tonight who they believe is a definite improvement on the one that we've loaned from them.

We're 19th in the Premier League, and we are heading into a tough run of fixtures, our owners, CEO and head coach are apparently content to approximately break even in financial expenditure for the second season running rather than act at the sharp and expensive end of the transfer window.

Why were we fed the line that European football was our target this season? I would like an explanation from NSWE personally as to why we were misled.

Don't get upset, just don't believe them in future. There might be a few reasons they haven't invested heavily to push on, one may be that we will be removing the manager soon. It could also be they are trying to claw back lost money from the COVID lockdowns. It might just be it has got too expensive for them to get into Europe, it happened before. My advice is just don't believe their bull in future as they say ITSOTP.

2 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

If you think they will be knocking on your front door and having a cuppa and a digestive while explaining things to you then you are in for a long wait... nah only kidding. Totally get your point of view. It was actually Gerrard who downplayed this European ambition this summer but also said that 14th was completely unacceptable.  

Something feels very off. I was getting frustrated when the media were earlier questioning whether Gerrard had been backed properly. Like they were using it as an excuse. The problem is he really can. 

£84 mill spent and £41.5 mill recouped since he came in. 

Lots of cast offs from other teams as part of that and lots of low cost low risk loans.

If you allow for inflation and also how much bigger the tv deal is then they have been spending in a Deadly Doug type of outlay. 

23 minutes ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

Poor Kozak and Okore were destroyed by injuries, Kozak leg break was made worse by incompetence from the club in the rehab. Helenius had his struggles settling too, had we a proper run club that window wouldn't have been so bad. I liked Tony Moon, Tonev was the worst of them though. 

Edited: sorry, wrong leg break!

Edited by Deano & Dalian's Umbrella
wrong player