Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

9 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

Would it be unreasonable to add Gregg Evens to the speculation ban list? 

he has his fans on here, they get very angry if you criticise his brand of journalism

3 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

Speculation ban list only applies to new topics for players linked to us to be fair

As annoyed as some get about it, this thread is designed for all the BS

(I appreciate you're joking)

Its great to see so many VT posters sticking to the rules 😂

15 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Our monthly link to Szalai

We must really like this guy or Fenerbahce wont give him a new deal his agent is begging for 😂

Reportedly West Ham have been after him as well. Perhaps his agent just likes the colours? Or is in fact David Cameron.

3 minutes ago, Teale's 'tache said:

I would imagine we do in fact have a plan, it's just that Gregg Evans isn't privy to it, so he's had to guess, which seems to be the sum total of his job.

I'd be very very surprised if Lange doesn't have a long list of potential candidates in various price ranges, because you know, it's his job, and he seems to be pretty good at it.

Very few transfers are straight forward though, so it might take a little while before we hear anything.

Tyrone Mings has two years left on his contract and so with this in mind I’d imagine we have a plan to look for his replacement. If we’d have found him last week then possibly we may have taken a good offer for Tyrone or been happy to have a very strong central defensive unit. The injury to Diego just means that the search has become more urgent and we’d be unable to let Tyrone go until next summer.

The injury is a problem but to suggest that the club doesn’t have various plans in place for most scenarios, particularly something as obviously commonplace as an injury, is just not credible. As you say it’s never as easy as we’d like but what is believable is that the plans are very much behind closed doors and certainly not disclosed to the likes of Gregg Evans. 

2 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

Tyrone Mings has two years left on his contract and so with this in mind I’d imagine we have a plan to look for his replacement. If we’d have found him last week then possibly we may have taken a good offer for Tyrone or been happy to have a very strong central defensive unit. The injury to Diego just means that the search has become more urgent and we’d be unable to let Tyrone go until next summer.

The injury is a problem but to suggest that the club doesn’t have various plans in place for most scenarios, particularly something as obviously commonplace as an injury, is just not credible. As you say it’s never as easy as we’d like but what is believable is that the plans are very much behind closed doors and certainly not disclosed to the likes of Gregg Evans. 

It would be a bit of a bold move to sell Mings and get 2 new CBs in. 

2 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

We need to bring those plans forward, sign this defender (hopefully young and highly rated), then sell Mings, Chambers or Konsa next season.

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

As things stand, this is turning out to be a very underwhelming transfer window. Dare I say it's been a bit of a disaster in general? 

I guess Stevie G doesn't have that great of an ability to pull...

See I was going to make a post about our dealings vs others but 1) I’ve suddenly had a few meetings and 2) a few posters have kind of made my point without me having to show the signings.

What I will say is though we’ve spent near 400 million since our promotion, so this lack of investment thing is a joke in my opinion. Maybe you can make that assessment for this window yes, but look at our squad now compared to when we first had discussion about Europe/Top half.

Yes other teams have improved but honestly what did you expect from other teams? For them not spend at all? Wolves spent 30 million between two transfers last year (roughly) and this summer alone they are near 100 mil. From the outside looking in, it looks like they waited a bit for situations to arise to improve their team? Sounds a bit like what we are trying to do.

Also we get so down on our players and signings it’s unreal. Some people always find a fault in our owning dealings yet praise other teams without those said signings performing. I remember when we signed Cash and Wolves signed Semedo, some fans were up in arms before either of them played. Fast forward today Cash is the better player and for cheaper as well. 

Just let things pan out before getting all gloomy about stuff.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

It would be a bit of a bold move to sell Mings and get 2 new CBs in. 

I’d agree and I don’t necessarily think we’d do that. But if the guy we got in was really top class and we got a big offer for Tyrone then we might have done before the injury to Diego. Lots of ifs as always Peter. 

8 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

As things stand, this is turning out to be a very underwhelming transfer window. Dare I say it's been a bit of a disaster in general? 

Nothing a decent #8 wouldn’t fix. They are after one. That boy Wolves are after is decent chap that might look great here too

6 minutes ago, a-k said:

I guess Stevie G doesn't have that great of an ability to pull...

This is what the most recent signing said:

The manager was one of the big reasons. He played at the highest level, won many things and was a midfielder, too. It means a lot to have interest from him and I think he can teach me many things.”

(Onana about signing for Everton)

Just now, DaveAV1 said:

I’d agree and I don’t necessarily think we’d do that. But if the guy we got in was really top class and we got a big offer for Tyrone then we might have done before the injury to Diego. Lots of ifs as always Peter. 

I agree but a good offer for Mings would be extremely tempting from a financial perspective. He is only going down in value as each season passes from now on and he is still on our books with amortisation costs for the next 2 years. 25m now would be really positive for FFP and would give us greater scope to spend. It would be a ballsy move though