Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

2 minutes ago, MentalM said:

It is also a chance that without spending the FFP money we could spend last summer and this one, we could save up for next summer and sign more players of higher quality at the same time. Players who would not join if the others dont join (because better players wants to play with better players).

Personally I feel it is a long-term plan in every action of NSWE, and that makes me happy.

Sure, we could spend more money now, but if not spending now but spending in one year gives us a better chance in 2 seasons, I am all for it. 

Depends if we improve league position and look better this season.  We may look a less attractive proposition next season for those type of players plus an additional year outside of European places.  We have the Gerrard impact at the moment, his new team, new project to sell.  Next season it’ll be less impactful if we haven’t exceeded where we currently are.  I think not seizing the current opportunity will come back to bite us like so many times in the past.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

They've already failed to sign players who would improve us, some of whom have gone to newly promoted clubs, so that argument doesn't stack up I'm afraid. 

You think those players would improve us, but does our recruitment team? Any player we want will almost certainly have the option of choosing a team with European football at some level.

What players in the position we need (6/8) have been signed by clubs who we’d expect to finish above, and are clear upgrades on McGinn and Ramsey? Nunes to Wolves is clearly based on a long-standing business relationship that we don’t have with a fairly dodgy agent. Any others? 

• Like 1

I think there's also an element of the club wanting to be sure that Gerrard is right man for the job, they've backed him to a degree, with some very good players, and maybe will get a few more in one way or another before the window closes, we should have enough to at least show some improvement from last season, maybe it's case of the club wanting Gerrard to show he's capable of that before spending big again, if he can improve then will get more money, if not someone else will get it.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Awol said:

You think those players would improve us, but does our recruitment team? Any player we want will almost certainly have the option of choosing a team with European football at some level.

What players in the position we need (6/8) have been signed by clubs who we’d expect to finish above, and are clear upgrades on McGinn and Ramsey? Nunes to Wolves is clearly based on a long-standing business relationship that we don’t have with a fairly dodgy agent. Any others? 

Yeah he is making it sound like we " lost out " to newly promoted teams for signings ffs.

On the flipside, we signed players Champions League clubs wanted, so the argument makes no sense.

Wrongly or rightly, we probably just weren't interested in the players he's referring to.

• Like 2

Our window shouldn't just be judged on this summer, we bought Digne in January because he became available then and it was an opportunistic deal, same with Coutinho.

Since Jan we've signed Digne, Kamara, Coutinho, Diego Carlos to improve our first 11

That's 4 new players on last season, and hugely ambitious signings too.

Some posters live in fantasy land, crying about players they want the club to buy and say we missed out on when there's no evidence we'd even be interested in those players. ( I also don't think even 1 of forests signings would get in our team)

Our owners have done a fantastic job thus far, out infrastructure and youth setup are fantastic and puts us in a strong position to grow the club. 

Edited by VillaJay

35 minutes ago, Rustibrooks said:

Curious to know how our business stacks up vs Wolves/West Ham etc over the last 2-3 seasons to see if their business is truly better than ours. This is genuine by the way I’m not trying to start anything. 

Go on then, it’s a matter of opinion.

1 minute ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Go on then, it’s a matter of opinion.

Once I get to my desk I’ll do some research, I’ll start it from our season back in the prem vs what we think our peers done. I’ll post the rough transfer fees as well.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, useless said:

we should have enough to at least show some improvement from last season

1) That’s not what the owners have brought Gerrard in for to show “some” improvement

2) “Some” improvement? What is that? 11th

3) Do we have enough for “some” improvement? For the last 18 months this team hasn’t shown that it can do any better.  Now Carlos is injured we only have Kamara as an addition to the first XI otherwise the other players had a really poor 2022 since the turn of the year, I’m not sure what is going to change and haven’t seen much either even in beating a poor Everton team

• Like 1

17 hours ago, CVByrne said:

This Carlos injury will really mess up how we're allocating our funds. We'll need to sign another starting CB if we can which then forces us to sell on on Mings/Konsa/Chambers next summer when it's clear we need to move one of them on. 

If we just bring in a CB cover on loan we probably won't get a starter and thus we're essentially unsolving the problem we solved by signing Carlos. 

It's really a terrible situation to be in. Hopefully Lange can pull a rabbit out of a hat. But really the CBs we'd want and could afford have already moved this summer. Maybe we can source a loan deal until Jan for a quality player wanting game time before the WC. 

There are some decent " Free's" floating around......but maybe wages are more the issue.

1 hour ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

I've been quick to praise the owners before but the last 2 summers are a wake up call. What really is their plan?

We had huge investment initially under Lerner remember and then he turned out to be even worse than Doug. But we at least had some success under Lerner (three top six finishes). This league requires constant investment season after season after season, you cannot stop investing otherwise you go backwards and we are still a long way off where the owners and Purslow claim we want to be. We are getting outspent by Wolves, West Ham, Newcastle, even Palace and Brentford are spending more net than us - these are all teams we are supposed to be looking to finish above so I just don't understand where this penny pinching behaviour is coming from. 

Honestly, our owners and management need to stop talking about ambition and actually acting on it. I'm sorry but we haven't done nearly enough to be competitive at the top end of the table this season and coupled with having a manager who doesn't seem up to the job I anticipate another sh*tshow of a season unless we buck up ouyr ideas ASAP.

Agreed. Stand still and you go backwards. 

It's obviously easier said than done, but taking their talk into consideration, there is no way we are done this window. Sure, all deals might fall through due to market competition, but again then we must ask why since someone deemed it worth the price. 

I think we are constrained by our inability to get players out and I think out lack of incomings is very much as a result. 

Gerrard previously said we had a bloated squad and I think the owners have given a message that they won't bring in until we can match it with outgoings.

A bloated squad means bloated wages and higher associated costs. Need to trim before we buy I reckon

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, VillaJay said:

Our window shouldn't just be judged on this summer, we bought Digne in January because he became available then and it was an opportunistic deal, same with Coutinho.

Since Jan we've signed Digne, Kamara, Coutinho, Diego Carlos to improve our first 11

That's 4 new players on last season, and hugely ambitious signings too.

Some posters live in fantasy land, crying about players they want the club to buy and say we missed out on when there's no evidence we'd even be interested in those players. ( I also don't think even 1 of forests signings would get in our team)

Our owners have done a fantastic job thus far, out infrastructure and youth setup are fantastic and puts us in a strong position to grow the club. 

Two of those players were here last season, and it could be argued that one of them (Coutinho) is holding back in peoples opinions our best player (Buendia).

This window, the only new players we have signed is Kamara, Carlos and Augustinsson.  One of them is a back up and one is out for the season.

So currently we have only 1 player in this window that improves our team from last season.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TheMelvillan said:

I think we are constrained by our inability to get players out and I think out lack of incomings is very much as a result. 

Gerrard previously said we had a bloated squad and I think the owners have given a message that they won't bring in until we can match it with outgoings.

A bloated squad means bloated wages and higher associated costs. Need to trim before we buy I reckon

What if we can’t get those players out? Do we waste a season?

21 minutes ago, Awol said:

Have you been following the transfers of other clubs?

Right, I'll name them then (6s and 8s):

• Palhinha (Fulham)
  • Onana (Everton)
  • Auoar, Freuler, Mangala (Forest) - three players!
  • Adams (Leeds) - debatable but looks good early on
  • Doucoure (Crystal Palace)
  • Nunes (Wolves)

Go back to January you can add Guimaeres to Newcastle who at the time were in the bottom 3, yes they had money but if we'd been willing to invest on him we'd have got him. Probably could have got Bissouma before he went to Spurs too seeing as an offer was obviously made but below Brighton's valuation.

And actually the excuse that Wolves can get any Portugal player they want is rubbish, they wanted Palhinha and he ended up at Fulham, Wolves fans were not happy.

The only teams that have had worse windows than us are Leicester and Brighton, maybe Bournemouth but they haven't got any money, a small stadium and non-wealthy owners. Comprisons to them are stupid and they've still bought a player I like (Senesi).

All of the teams that finished above us last season could quite feasibly do so again unless we take action soon. I don't understand how so many of you are so relaxed. We could even get worse if we're not careful.

Just now, nick76 said:

What if we can’t get those players out? Do we waste a season?

Not necessarily. I believe this squad of players massively underachieved last year and I think they can deliver more, especially given it is Gerrard's second year. 

I also cannot believe the difference a proper holding midfielder has already made - and I think kamara will only get better.

New signings would be brilliant but I don't think it means we have to stay still or regress without them.

And whilst it's easy to say that those around us have added to their squads and will therefore overtake us,  Man utd have shown that fancy new signings don't automatically equal improvement

9 minutes ago, daft said:

Agreed. Stand still and you go backwards. 

It's obviously easier said than done, but taking their talk into consideration, there is no way we are done this window. Sure, all deals might fall through due to market competition, but again then we must ask why since someone deemed it worth the price. 

I would imagine we will sign more players....but it does beg the question, will they be first choices, or just who's left.

It strikes me after a sharp entry in to the market, we have drifted back to our old ways.....It just seems that way.

• Like 1

Just now, TRO said:

I would imagine we will sign more players....but it does beg the question, will they be first choices, or just who's left.

It strikes me after a sharp entry in to the market, we have drifted back to our old ways.....It just seems that way.

I think most of us thought that us getting Kamara and Carlos done early meant we mean business this window. And that we would go on to improve the rest of the squad in midfield and up front.  The lack of activity in the latter is not looking good, as they are areas needed improvement in most peoples opinion.  

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

As per Paul McGrath pod... You've got to slightly feel for the Club, SG and the player in Carlos case.

They went above and beyond to secure Kamara and Carlos from WAY out as statement signings to bed into the team from early and be integral this season and beyond.

They obviously identified CB as an area they wanted a stable leader to help with playing style etc and that's been chucked out the window in one blow.

I still think we are good enough to maintain back there but it's still gutting.

I know people who don't like SG won't see it that way but it is what it is really.

I'm sure you are right, people rarely take injuries into consideration when it come to manager criticism. They didn't with Deano, they won't with Gerrard.

• Like 2