Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

So you'd handicap the progress of the club just to teach Gerrard a lesson?

We have one of the " better " squads but it's still an unbalanced one which lacks in a couple of critical areas.

I genuinely can't see any valid argument for not wanting to improve the team if it is financially possible, regardless of Manager.

Again, people keep saying " give him money " as if they give him 50 mill and send him off to the player shop and say " surprise me "

It's not giving " him " money... It's improving the team and squad.

We've got a whole department dedicated to finding the players we NEED and which would improve us.

The players he's actually signed are also some of our better players as well ( Coutinho hot and cold ) so I don't get it.

The irony is that's it's the players he hasn't signed, who he likes ( Like McGinn and Konsa ) which are probably our weakest links currently. Lol

His signings might actually be his biggest tokus point this far.

I'm not saying we are in desperate need either, but if it were me I'd balance by playing someone like Tim or Luiz beside Kamara.

It's only a midfielder I want and I've been saying it for a while.

its definitely not unbalanced, we have a poor manager and thats the problem not the squad.

He is isolating good players to fit his ego and I would rather keep the money for the next management team who will do a better job on actual coaching. He can work with the players he is isolating and get them to work like an actual coach is supposed to do instead of buying his way out of problems

• Like 2

Well… Sangare is no longer an option…

Hey @paul514 , how about Koopmeiners (again)? 🤣 Anyone else?

I’d imagine Anguissa is perfectly happy where he is and wouldn’t want to take a step down to the likes of us… especially in our current state…

Struggling to identify many players (very limited knowledge) who could address the deficiencies in our midfield in terms of quality in possession, physicality and defensive prowess…

That shitshow was yet another example of how weak and lightweight we are and how shite we are in possession…

I’d prioritise changing this poor excuse of a manager but we do need to do more business to put ourselves in a stronger position… we are a bit of a mess… what are we even trying to do? Whatever it is, we’re failing miserably. Would be nice if we could keep the ball on the ground and keep hold of it…

Edited by Jas10

Very young but we’ve mentioned Kepheren Thuram before… seems to have the attributes…

Oh, what’s the point anyway? 🤣 SG will just keep doing the same old shit and playing both McGinn (every game) and Ramsey as much as he can and we’ll continue to be crap…

I can’t see it changing until the manager is moved on… or has a brain transplant…

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Zatman said:

its definitely not unbalanced, we have a poor manager and thats the problem not the squad.

He is isolating good players to fit his ego and I would rather keep the money for the next management team who will do a better job on actual coaching. He can work with the players he is isolating and get them to work like an actual coach is supposed to do instead of buying his way out of problems

Don't get me wrong, we definitely have a squad much better than some of the tripe we've been serving up.

I'll make a slight counter if that, I don't think he's actually thick or inept, but I'm seeing signs that me might be extremely stubborn and hard headed, potentially to his own/our detriment.

That can go either way, it eventually clicks or nosedives.

* I do like a manager who is tough and believes in his " methods " but there also has to be a limit of reason.

7 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Don't get me wrong, we definitely have a squad much better than some of the tripe we've been serving up.

I'll make a slight counter if that, I don't think he's actually thick or inept, but I'm seeing signs that me might be extremely stubborn and hard headed, potentially to his own/our detriment.

That can go either way, it eventually clicks or nosedives.

* I do like a manager who is tough and believes in his " methods " but there also has to be a limit of reason.

I think he’s both 

spacer.png

• Haha 3

19 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

* I do like a manager who is tough and believes in his " methods "

When Gerrard was filmed repeatedly punching that DJ the prosecution said he punched “like a professional boxer” so definitely tough ;)

Seriously though it’s like anything… you can behave in a certain way if it gets results… if it doesn’t, by definition, you start to look like your self-belief is a little misplaced. 

None of it should stop us spending money because the system now should be about more than just who a particular manager wants, knowing most managers won’t last 2 years.

Edited by Adam2003
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

Calling it now . We don’t seem to have many irons in the fire. Ben Brereton. Why not ? It’s obvious he’s gonna play PL. We do need a striker. 

Said on here the other day, I haven’t seen enough of him but a mate of mine is a Blackburn fan and doesn’t think he’s anywhere near good enough for the PL. Is hoping someone signs him this month while the hype is there. 

2 hours ago, Jas10 said:

Well… Sangare is no longer an option…

Hey @paul514 , how about Koopmeiners (again)? 🤣 Anyone else?

I’d imagine Anguissa is perfectly happy where he is and wouldn’t want to take a step down to the likes of us… especially in our current state…

Struggling to identify many players (very limited knowledge) who could address the deficiencies in our midfield in terms of quality in possession, physicality and defensive prowess…

That shitshow was yet another example of how weak and lightweight we are and how shite we are in possession…

I’d prioritise changing this poor excuse of a manager but we do need to do more business to put ourselves in a stronger position… we are a bit of a mess… what are we even trying to do? Whatever it is, we’re failing miserably. Would be nice if we could keep the ball on the ground and keep hold of it…

I'm always up for Koopmeiners :D

Depends what sort of midfielder you want, as you are mentioning defensive midfielders I guess you are interested in that?

I wouldn't rule out Sangare if we actually wanted him, his new deal likely has the same release clause in it as he wouldn't want to price himself out of a move for slightly more money from PSV.

Zubimendi maybe? Soumare?

Realistically I think our problem is tactical and coaching now we have Kamara in squad.

I would be playing Luis/Kamara in a pivot. I would still want another DM in the squad which this summer would have been two from Sangare/Koopmeiners/Kamara/Bissouma. The latter two signed for new clubs so one of the former two.

For what it is worth I think making McGinn captain was a stupid idea as I would have sold him for good money and got a better replacement this summer. Ruiz at Napoli is in his last year, Aouar is available on the cheap, hell even Maddison would have been worth a go if you wanted an 8/10 type as your furthest forward midfielder.

Edited by paul514

9 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

We desperately need another defensive midfielder who’s comfortable on the ball. We can then play a double pivot with either Ramsey or McGinn (shudder) slightly in front of it. 

The manager has his shit formations. Clearly, we will continue to play them.

Hope he panics and gives Critchley keys to the kingdom, lets him pick the team and shape going forward.

• Like 1

Conventional wisdom I keep hearing this week goes something like this: “We can’t just keep buying players. We need to learn to work with the lot we’ve got.”

I truly do not get this perspective, even if  I respect many of the people who voice it … so I’m a bit conflicted. 

But our net spend is comparatively low, unless I’m missing something? 

Edited by Marka Ragnos

We are dying for a forward who can contribute to build up play. The midfield have very few options to make progressive passes (and also we need someone here who is better than what we have - an 8 ) and the fullbacks end up with no one showing for the ball from the forward line so they just whip in hopeful crosses. We looked fine on the ball for the most part until the final 3rd - aside from some dogshit midfield play on occasions.

I say we go balls to the wall and try and coax some top quality. In Gerrard fails then we move on to someone who can inherit a decent squad (Hey Poch).

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Kondogbia?

He's like a taller, more physical and press-resistant upgrade on Marv. Excellent defensively, safe enough with the ball, would leave us less exposed with fullbacks pushed up and we'd finally win some headers in midfield. Also tends to do his work a bit higher up the pitch in the middle 3rd proper and can carry it forward a bit without losing it, which would be helpful, as Marv is often more reactive and last ditch, playing right around our box and can't wait to get rid of the ball. Downside is he always picks up a few injuries and misses a handful of games, though, which should be a concern if we're looking for a guaranteed starter for 38 league games rather than a tactical option. Definitely a proper defensive mid, too, not an box-to-box or "8", which would mean an almost inevitable shift to the fabled double pivot at times, as you'd still want Boubs or Dougie in there with him to be the ball player. Was paired regularly with Herrera or Koke as the passer, either in a 4-4-2 or in a 3 with the likes De Paul or Lemar pushing on in attack.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Conventional wisdom I keep hearing this week goes something like this: “We can’t just keep buying players. We need to learn to work with the lot we’ve got.”

I truly do not get this perspective, even if  I respect many of the people who voice it … so I’m a bit conflicted. 

But our net spend is comparatively low, unless I’m missing something? 

I agree. The one thing that most have agreed on is that SG has helped us attract a better (in theory) calibre of player. Whatever the future holds for Gerrard, I think we should still look to strengthen the squad. We need a new midfielder. If, and hope is fading, we manage to secure a high quality one before the window closes, no future manager is going to be complaining about that. 

12 minutes ago, picicata said:

What's the point in spending on a striker if we're not set up to create any chances for them?

This! Our final 3rd play is awful. Gerrard needs to ditch this formation I think most strikers would struggle to make any impact with our style of play.