Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

On 31/07/2022 at 11:33, calcifer said:

I dont think there will be any more incoming unless we can free up space in the squad. But the problem is no one wants the deadwood, we will either have to release them on a free or pay someone to loan then for the season (as in 100% waged) 

The problem is....Their likely destinations have no money or very little.

The problem with doing some of our signings early is that buying clubs know we need to shift some players and will hold us to ransom. I don't expect any incoming unless we move a couple on, but it feels a bit like a Mexican standoff at the moment. 

• Like 1

I don't think money in the bank is a particular point of interest to our rich owners. FFP should also not be a problem.

The main point of focus will be getting wages off the payroll and moving extra bodies away from our bloated squad (Gerrard's description, not mine).

If we can't sell the players we wan't to move, loans will be acceptable.

1 hour ago, useless said:

The highest Brighton have finished in five seasons in the Premier League is 9th, on the other four occassions they didn't finish any higher than 15th. Last season they over achieved, next season will probably go back to finishing lower midtable. They really aren't some masters of the transfer market like some seem to think, they buy a load of players some work out some don't, but the net affect is that as a team they don't actually do all that well.

This idea of filling the squad with a load 'hidden gems' for relatively cheap and becoming a succesful team is just a fantasy that some football fans have, if you want to get to where we're trying to get to it doesn't work, succesful teams sign well known players, players that are well known because they're already proven and because they're already proven more likely to do a job, which is why the top teams have their success.

I bet if they could afford it Brighton would have taken most of the signings we've made over the last few summers.

Also last season since Gerrard came in we took more points than them.

Brighton don't have multi-billionaire owners who can stick money in to buy their players.

They have to find money to back up the PL funds and they do that by selling.

Bissouma, White and probably Cucurella soon is £140m or something. 

They do what they have to to get by, and under Ashworth they did it pretty well. Pretty much a nothing club sat in league 1/2 for most of the last 40 years.

Ashworth going to Newcastle is a disaster for us.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, KMitch said:

I keep seeing this...  The real world isn't Football Manager 2022.

What relevance is this sorry?

Just throwing money at players isn't going to get good ones to join. 

They've wasted no money so far except Wood. And they bought him off a relegation rival who then went down and they signed their keeper for a bargain price.

I literally just made the point about Brighton finding decent players that increase in value. That was Ashworth. I would rather he wasn't there and they had some clown like Suso who was here. £50m for Madison feels about the market value? If it was £80m yes, that's probably going a bit crazy.

They still need a spark and a reason for players to want to come and play there.  The best manager all the money in the world could by last season was Eddie Fookin' Howe, and for all this talk about supposed ridiculous spending this summer, they're looking like they're just going to pay way over the odds for James Maddison and a few other above average players from the continent.  Gerrard/Villa have more pull in the transfer market than Newcastle does.  Kamara & Diego Carlos were heavily linked to Newcastle this summer and they also tried to sign Digne last January, but they all chose us over the oil money.  

I would say the Villa/Newcastle pull is fairly similar at the moment. If you had to put one ahead, it would probably be us yes. Gerrard 100% helps in that regard. 

Their manager of course took them up past us to the top half despite coming into a side with no wins. If they carry on that upward trajectory we won't be a similar pull for much longer.

I watched a certain Newcastle youtuber last night....I watch it every so often just to see how much more delusional they can get.

They did a Premier league Prediction...they had villa at 11th and them at 6th......Gonna be a fun season.#

3 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

If Newcastle are after Maddison, does that mean that we can move for Lucas Paqueta?

Paquetta apparently wants to stay where he is.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

If Newcastle are after Maddison, does that mean that we can move for Lucas Paqueta?

Would improve us immensely.

not as good as McGinn tho, so wouldnt get in the side regardless.

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

Would improve us immensely.

I doubt we have any interest in him unless we are moving on Buendia or Couinho 

11 minutes ago, OLDVILLAIN said:

I watched a certain Newcastle youtuber last night....I watch it every so often just to see how much more delusional they can get.

They did a Premier league Prediction...they had villa at 11th and them at 6th......Gonna be a fun season.#

Paquetta apparently wants to stay where he is.

Not sure I have seen any media predict us yet for top ten this season

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

Ah ok. For some reason I thought he was more of an attacking number 8 as opposed to a 10.

He can play there but I think he would be destroyed in the Premier League in this position unless play two of Kamara and Nakamba/Luiz in midfield with him. Him playing as an 8 with Ramsey or McGinn would be defensive suicide especially with the full backs bombing on

If we signed him it would have to be as a 10

Edited by Zatman
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Zatman said:

He can play there but I think he would be destroyed in the Premier League in this position unless play two of Kamara and Nakamba/Luiz in midfield with him. Him playing as an 8 with Ramsey or McGinn would be defensive suicide especially with the full backs bombing on

If we signed him it would have to be as a 10

Scrap that idea.

Sangare it is then. 🙂

4 hours ago, DCJonah said:

I think someone against him from the start and someone who wants him gone without giving him a chance could be classed as anti-gerrard. Which is why the idea that there's a large group out there is so Laughable. 

I really don’t understand the logic there. How you can make the first two assertions followed by ‘which is why’, it is just doesn’t make logical sense  

Edited by Peter Griffin
Fixed a typo

11 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Brentford in for Damsgaard.

Surprised we didn't go for him when Grealish left, think he was linked.

He missed nearly all of last season through injury, he never made it back into the Sampdoria team when he was fit again and they werent great

Interesting if he has fully recovered now

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1