Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

19 minutes ago, dotcomsimon said:

Has anyone actually been linked with Sangaré? 

I think he would be a great addition, 

if we could get Suarez on a 1year deal as well, I know he’s not popular but he’s the type of nasty gritty person you hate to play against, just what we need, bring him on with 10-15 mins to go 

get them 2 and I think we’d be fine 

Man Utd was allegedly in for him, but that has been dismissed by a few media outlets. I'm sure he on on a few club's shortlists, but we will have to see if they step up their interest. 

42 minutes ago, Zatman said:

was only 5 games last season we lost points in the last ten minutes and one was vs City so the mentality thing I dont buy. Happened in 2 of the last 3 games when nearly on the beach

Worse for me was how our performances massively dropped off after that mini break end of January.

Even if results were indifferent there were generally some good performances in Gerrard's two months.

That Leeds game set the tone....15 minutes of brilliant football to go 3-1 up and dross either side of that and that pretty much was how the last three months played out.

We just need a good start to settle everyone down...looking for 10 points by end of August games which should be realistic target.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, dotcomsimon said:

Has anyone actually been linked with Sangaré? 

I think he would be a great addition, 

if we could get Suarez on a 1year deal as well, I know he’s not popular but he’s the type of nasty gritty person you hate to play against, just what we need, bring him on with 10-15 mins to go 

get them 2 and I think we’d be fine 

Gerrard and co definitely went to watch him vs Leicester. I’m quietly hoping we’re after him, imagine he could go to a few clubs though

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Well I did say wouldn't look out of place in a top 6 team, implying they could be part of the squad not necessarily the first 11.

Do you not think Digne would get in Arsenal or Spurs' team? Spurs were playing Sessegnon there last season and Reguilon has flopped. My dad is a Spurs fan and when we signed Digne he said himself he'd get in Spurs' team. I also think Digne is better than Tierney myself. Cash could also get in both of their teams IMO, certainly based on last season. Carlos has played for a top 4 team in Spain who had the best defensive record over three seasons, but we have to see if he performs over here. If he does he's a top 6 player. Likewise have to see with Kamara, but the Kamara that shone for Marseille the last few seasons would definitely get in Man U's midfield. Coutinho maybe isn't the player he was four years ago but he would at the very least make the bench of a top 6 team. Add in Martinez that's 6, and given Arsenal wanted to sign Buendia (as did Atletico) and the technical quality he possesses I think he would also make at the least a top 6 bench. In fact some Villa fans think he is our best player on ability alone and better than Coutinho. Then there's Bailey who could be a top 6 player IMO and Ramsey has the potential to be one. I agree that the strikers are probably more midtable standard than top 6 and so is someone like McGinn who is too inconsistent to be a top 6 player, but I don't think on the others I have been too optimistic. Maybe I slightly overrate a couple of our players but I definitely feel you underrate a lot of them. 

What I would say, though, is that we're probably not the only midtable team who has a fair few top 6 players. The league is becoming stronger in the middle so teams now compared to say 10-15 years ago do have better players. I think the team and squad we have now would probably make the top 6 in the late 2000s (we've definitely got more depth than we had under MON) but because the league is so much stronger than then we are floating around in midtable. 

OK in that case I misunderstood you - I thought you meant starters.  I think Digne is probably the best left back outside the Sly 6.  As for the others I think they probably could all get on the bench - but then like you say so could about the same number from a number of our other direct competitors.  I just think that we as a collective underestimate our rivals and overestimate some of our own players.  Finishing top 10 is not a foregone conclusion for any team outside the Sly 6.  There are probably 6 or 7 teams with a "realistic" expectation of finishing top half next season.  The league is pretty tough these days.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CarryOnVilla said:

We’ll hear more on this Wednesday 

Preece seems like a good guy but he really doesn't help himself does he. Didn't he literally say we were done transfer-wise only like last week or something.

2 minutes ago, Indigo said:

Preece seems like a good guy but he really doesn't help himself does he. Didn't he literally say we were done transfer-wise only like last week or something.

tbf he's just giving his opinion in a Q&A on birmingham mail website and then it's being turned into a tweet as some statement of fact or something by Total Villa

Nothing he can do. You just gotta ignore it as he doesn't have any inside info. All he has is access to ask questions really as he's a standard reporter

16 minutes ago, Indigo said:

You would nearly feel bad for people in his position, sound fella but highly regarded for the Mail which constantly churns out rubbish. Maybe there’s been something said in a press conference or something over there 

2 hours ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

Your daily Twitter BS to open a discussion--what do you think we need more, a new CM or ST?

CM.

We've got a number of players who can do well in the final third, and will most probably only be positioned in a front 2 or 3.

If we do go on to continue player recruitment, I'd like it to be a CM. 

Edited by A'Villan
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

tbf he's just giving his opinion in a Q&A on birmingham mail website and then it's being turned into a tweet as some statement of fact or something by Total Villa

Nothing he can do. You just gotta ignore it as he doesn't have any inside info. All he has is access to ask questions really as he's a standard reporter

1 minute ago, IrishVilla10 said:

You would nearly feel bad for people in his position, sound fella but highly regarded for the Mail which constantly churns out rubbish. Maybe there’s been something said in a press conference or something over there 

Fair enough if he's been taken out of context, that'd be my bad. As I said though not having a dig or anything as he seems a good egg but it feels like every window he either has some contradictory moments or big shouts that just flat out don't happen. Suppose it comes with the territory of having his job and evidently not great contacts to go along with it, but doesn't exactly endear his work to the wider, less understanding fan base. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, a m ole said:

I **** love it when I’m scrolling and then it stops to scroll on a tweet that is a pixel bigger than its bounding box

I'm sure it never used to do this... Or maybe it's just more frequent now.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Indigo said:

Fair enough if he's been taken out of context, that'd be my bad. As I said though not having a dig or anything as he seems a good egg but it feels like every window he either has some contradictory moments or big shouts that just flat out don't happen. Suppose it comes with the territory of having his job and evidently not great contacts to go along with it, but doesn't exactly endear his work to the wider, less understanding fan base. 

No mate not at all I agree with what you said, I watch a few pods and amongst some of them he’s almost hailed as a big link to the club when in reality I don’t think he is. 

• Like 1

JWP must really love life on the south coast as he hasn't pushed for a move. I saw the odds on relegation earlier and Saints are in the bottom 6 or 7. There must come a time when Ward Prowse wants to have better players around him to help him out and up his game. That may be now in World Cup year..

I know there are absolutely no links with AV and JWP but I feel he could  still be the most perfect round peg CM playing alongside Kamara. 

I obviously don't know the state of our finances vs FFP,  but one expensive signing this transfer window, to complete what Gerrard is trying to do for the 22/23 season may be affordable. It would give us a diamond duo as our regular CM's as both of them tend to stay fit.

• Like 3