Loxstock92

2 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

GK - world class

CB's - Top Class, Good Prem Player.

RB - Good prem player.

LB - Top class 

DM - Top class.

CM - 3 good prem players

Creators - Top class, 2 good prem players.

Striker - Two good prem players

Pretty much agree with this, but once again you've done a classic Villa fan underestimation of Mings. 

He is top class absolutely not a chance in hell of anything else. If he's only a good prem player then there are only about 4 top class or world class CB's in the league because I wouldn't take many of them over Tyrone. 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, ender4 said:

No, but i still think they (the recruitment team) plan to buy 1 more expensive player who will be a regular starter.  And that could be the difference between 7th and say 10th, as it can get pretty close on points between 7th and 10th some years.

Im guessing - but I think the board would want to see some improvement in what we have before bringing in £35m+ player.

FFP maybe an issue too 

6 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

Actually we signed 12 players not a whole squad. We already had Grealish, and McGinn, and we added a top half prem CB (Mings),  2 decent prem CB'S (Konsa and Hause), one decent prem LB (Targett), a good prem midfielder (Luiz), and a decent prem DM (Nakamba). So we got 6 prem players 2 good enough to still be first teamers, we already had two quality prem players. 

The business was generally good. We built on that really well with Cash, Martinez, and Watkins. A world class keeper and two top half prem players. We also added a midtable RW in Traore. At this point we had a midtable first team. 

We were a midtable team in terms of playing staff two summer windows ago. 

We will have had 2 more summer transfer window since to make that a top half of the prem team, with only one major outgoing in Jack. 

At this point we have added a top half striker (Ings) two midtable at the worst, but probably better creative players ( Buendia and Bailey). A top class creative player (Coutinho), and we have added a top class LB (Digne), and a solid back up keeper.

Now we have to see how our 3 unseen signings (in a Villa shirt) will fair, but we all believe two of them are also top class.

So to say we should be aiming for 7th or 8th is very realistic IMO.

Last seasons 14th place was down to many factors, most of which could have similar effects on at least 14 teams in this league. Injury crisis at the start along with losing our only established quality creative player. Change of manager, changing tactical direction, bedding in a new attack.

Last seasons 14th simply wasn't a true reflection of the squads capabilities. I would say the team that finished last season would with stability get 10th comfortably. I would say our squad is on West Ham, Wolves, and Leicester's level now. If we managed to poach Tielimans for example we'd have the best midfield outside the top 6, along with IMO the best defense outside the top 6, while weakening a direct competitor.

A conservative estimate of first team quality:

GK - world class

RB - Good prem player.

LB - Top class 

DM - Top class.

CM - 3 good prem players

Even all the squad players now are premier league level. Add to that some precocious talent as well, we are in a good place. It can always be better, but we have come a long way. The balance is looking good too. 

Like everyone else I believe a top class CM that will blend in well with what we have would really set us up nicely. And a top class attacker would be the icing on the cake. But as we are now is good.

Good post.  In terms of the bold part I’d argue that was just the first 11. A couple of key injuries and we would have been in the bottom half and not had such a comfortable season. As losing Jack Grealish for so long showed.

Our squad is so much stronger now. Just a glance at the bench on the opening game of the season will show this.

Im excited.

4 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

Pretty much agree with this, but once again you've done a classic Villa fan underestimation of Mings. 

He is top class absolutely not a chance in hell of anything else. If he's only a good prem player then there are only about 4 top class or world class CB's in the league because I wouldn't take many of them over Tyrone. 

I think Mings is borderline top class. I can't wait to see how he fares with a genuine top class CB, alongside him. I suspect he will look good. I tried to make a Conservative estimate, and was trying to avoid a Mings debate, as well as a Luiz, Mcginn, Ings, and Watkins debate. I think it's fair to set a baseline of good prem players for them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, burchy said:

Like I say, a bit of a daydream of mine but It would be nice to watch Coutinho, Paqueta, Buendia and Ramsey tearing it up.  

Boubacar Kamara is good but he isnt that good :D  

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Good post.  In terms of the bold part I’d argue that was just the first 11. A couple of key injuries and we would have been in the bottom half and not had such a comfortable season. As losing Jack Grealish for so long showed.

Our squad is so much stronger now. Just a glance at the bench on the opening game of the season will show this.

Im excited.

But what you pointed out is the case for most midtable teams. If they can get their first 11 out and fully fit, they are a threat to any team, but 2 or 3 injuries to key players and a relegation  scrap is on the horizon.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

Who would you define as the 4? 

Edited by CarryOnVilla

4 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

I think Mings is borderline top class. I can't wait to see how he fares with a genuine top class CB, alongside him. I suspect he will look good. I tried to make a Conservative estimate, and was trying to avoid a Mings debate, as well as a Luiz, Mcginn, Ings, and Watkins debate. I think it's fair to set a baseline of good prem players for them.

Fair play mate. I think Tyrone gets a really bad rap from our fans in general. 

His record for England also speaks for itself where he is consistently derided even though he's kept 14 clean sheets in 17 games. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

Actually we signed 12 players not a whole squad. We already had Grealish, and McGinn, and we added a top half prem CB (Mings),  2 decent prem CB'S (Konsa and Hause), one decent prem LB (Targett), a good prem midfielder (Luiz), and a decent prem DM (Nakamba). So we got 6 prem players 2 good enough to still be first teamers, we already had two quality prem players. 

The business was generally good. We built on that really well with Cash, Martinez, and Watkins. A world class keeper and two top half prem players. We also added a midtable RW in Traore. At this point we had a midtable first team. 

We were a midtable team in terms of playing staff two summer windows ago. 

We will have had 2 more summer transfer window since to make that a top half of the prem team, with only one major outgoing in Jack. 

At this point we have added a top half striker (Ings) two midtable at the worst, but probably better creative players ( Buendia and Bailey). A top class creative player (Coutinho), and we have added a top class LB (Digne), and a solid back up keeper.

Now we have to see how our 3 unseen signings (in a Villa shirt) will fair, but we all believe two of them are also top class.

So to say we should be aiming for 7th or 8th is very realistic IMO.

Last seasons 14th place was down to many factors, most of which could have similar effects on at least 14 teams in this league. Injury crisis at the start along with losing our only established quality creative player. Change of manager, changing tactical direction, bedding in a new attack.

Last seasons 14th simply wasn't a true reflection of the squads capabilities. I would say the team that finished last season would with stability get 10th comfortably. I would say our squad is on West Ham, Wolves, and Leicester's level now. If we managed to poach Tielimans for example we'd have the best midfield outside the top 6, along with IMO the best defense outside the top 6, while weakening a direct competitor.

A conservative estimate of first team quality:

GK - world class

RB - Good prem player.

LB - Top class 

DM - Top class.

CM - 3 good prem players

Even all the squad players now are premier league level. Add to that some precocious talent as well, we are in a good place. It can always be better, but we have come a long way. The balance is looking good too. 

Like everyone else I believe a top class CM that will blend in well with what we have would really set us up nicely. And a top class attacker would be the icing on the cake. But as we are now is good.

I wouldn't call this a conservative estimate tbh. That sounds like a team competing for top 4.

Do agree though our squad is pretty good

Edited by Laughable Chimp

1 hour ago, hippo said:

Thats what they all say.  

But don't think they seriously believe current squad is getting 7th. 

Dean Smith in various interviews after Jack left said “we tried to convince him to stay but unfortunately we felt we were 18 months away from giving him what he wants” 

The thing Jack craved most? Champions League footy. 

So I think the target is European football minimum this season. 

The players we’ve signed are good. And a few gaps have been plugged. The biggest limiting factor will be the coaching /management team.  

Gerrard has the tools but he needs to be able to use them effectively. Going to be a very interesting season and I’m looking forward to it.

Edited by Sulberto21
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

Who would you define as the 4? 

Top 4 CB's in the league?

(Imo of course) VVD, Diaz, Thiago Silva and Rudiger but he's obviously buggered off. 

I think Konate at Liverpool is going to have a massive season and will be rated as one of the worlds top CB's by the end I really do. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

(Imo of course) VVD, Diaz, Thiago Silva and Rudiger but he's obviously buggered off. 

I think Konate at Liverpool is going to have a massive season and will be rated as one of the worlds top CB's by the end I really do. 

I think Matip can replace Rudiger in that list. 

Mings is imo in the level below these guys. However we can’t underestimate how much Boubs will help improve the defence. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sulberto21 said:

I think Matip can replace Rudiger in that list. 

Mings is imo in the level below these guys. However we can’t underestimate how much Boubs will help improve the defence. 

Absolutely Mings is a level below the out and out elite CB's. I was arguing to the OP he's in the "top class" level (these guys are world class imo) and not just a "good prem defender". 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

I agree, they're probably the best 4 in the Prem, and possibly the only noticeable upgrade to Ty.

however, I think there's a few more that are better than Ty, but not worth chasing, because the better is marginal... players like Romero, Christensen, Varane, Laporte

and dare i say.... 

Maguire

get-me-coat.gif

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

CB's - Top Class, Good Prem Player

Let's see how Carlos does in a competitive Premier league match first, before taking about him like he is the son of Paul Mcgrath.

He is a 29 year old, without any proper international caps to his name, and hasn't played in such a physical league before. A lot of players struggle to live up to hype when they come to the PL with big reputations from Europe so let's reserve judgement.