Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

On 14/07/2022 at 01:13, Tomaszk said:

Talk is Bordeaux need money very quickly.

Sekou Mara could be worth an investment. Grow the French contingent and pay a fee for a player under 28 :)

Oh.

Basically only a backup GK (Olsen) and a backup LB (Augustinsson) that has come in since we signed two players less than a week after last season ended. Said that we were probably done once we signed a backup LB all along and I think that is going to be the case. Kind of a bittersweet feeling about it all. 

Don't want to be over-dramatic because Carlos and Kamara should (in theory) be two top signings given the level they have played at, but it just again feels like we are one or two quality players short of where we want to be (European challengers) and 9th or 10th is probably the best case scenario for next season unless every player plays to their full potential which is rarely the case with Villa. 

I can understand us needing to sell players before bringing anyone else in as we have quite a big squad, but it is still a frustrating situation to be in. We're clearly strugging to sell players with El Ghazi, Sanson, Davis, Hause and Guilbert still on the books and none of them (with the possible exception of Sanson) will get many minutes next season. Luiz signing a new contract would be good news but still heard nothing on that front and Carney will almost certainly be on his way so hopefully we get a good fee for him.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Basically only a backup GK (Olsen) and a backup LB (Augustinsson) that has come in since we signed two players less than a week after last season ended. Said that we were probably done once we signed a backup LB all along and I think that is going to be the case. Kind of a bittersweet feeling about it all. 

Don't want to be over-dramatic because Carlos and Kamara should (in theory) be two top signings given the level they have played at, but it just again feels like we are one or two quality players short of where we want to be (European challengers) and 9th or 10th is probably the best case scenario for next season unless every player plays to their full potential which is rarely the case with Villa. 

I can understand us needing to sell players before bringing anyone else in as we have quite a big squad, but it is still a frustrating situation to be in. We're clearly strugging to sell players with El Ghazi, Sanson, Davis, Hause and Guilbert still on the books and none of them (with the possible exception of Sanson) will get many minutes next season. Luiz signing a new contract would be good news but still heard nothing on that front and Carney will almost certainly be on his way so hopefully we get a good fee for him.

Gerrard only this week said he wants another midfielder to come in and challenge what we've got.

Signing top players doesn't happen in order, there's a long window left and most clubs have struggled to get deals over the line.

We will sign or are at the very least trying to sign at least 1 more top player. We may just need to wait until that opportunity arises.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, VillaJay said:

Gerrard only this week said he wants another midfielder to come in and challenge what we've got.

Signing top players doesn't happen in order, there's a long window left and most clubs have struggled to get deals over the line.

We will sign or are at the very least trying to sign at least 1 more top player. We may just need to wait until that opportunity arises.

We are not being linked with anyone whatsoever, even for a club like us that keeps things under wraps you would expect there to be something but there isn't, I'm sorry but I just don't see it but let's wait to see what happens. If we move a few on it obviously becomes more likely. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

We need to be smarter than just buying players. We need a blend of players that compliment each other.

I think we also need to take a calculated gamble on some of our youth players.

I think it's becoming obvious we can't "money" our way into the top six.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hippo said:

We need to be smarter than just buying players. We need a blend of players that compliment each other.

Our young players are still 18mths/2 years away at least from being ready to compete in the PL. Ramsey, KKH, Tim etc need more time and need to go out on loan for at least another season. 

We need to strengthen in midfield, up front and again at centre half if we want to challenge for Europe. We won’t do that so I’d be happy with 10th this season tbh. We can then go again the season after and try to push for 6th-8th.

The Bailey and Ings transfers have been a bit of a disaster so far and that is a helluva lot of money right there to not be performing. Poor transfers really, really hinder your ability to improve. You simply can’t make errors when spending that much money on players. Hopefully they come good this season but I won’t hold my breath. 

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, hippo said:

Oh I agree but I also feel that in certain areas (e.g. CM) we see the same inconsistent performances and struggles to control the game which will mean the same issues again.

It is a shame the situation with Carney because I really believe he will become a top, top player. We do have other good youngsters though and it will be interesting to see if players like Aaron Ramsey and Archer can put themselves in line to be part of the squad this season. 

I'd like to see Gerrard try some new things in preseason. If we aren't going to buy a top quality CM then try Buendia as a number 8 in preseason as he is more likely to dictate the tempo in that area than Ramsey or McGinn will and it would also mean he can get Bailey, Buendia and Coutinho into the same team. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Oh I agree but I also feel that in certain areas (e.g. CM) we see the same inconsistent performances and struggles to control the game which will mean the same issues again.

It is a shame the situation with Carney because I really believe he will become a top, top player. We do have other good youngsters though and it will be interesting to see if players like Aaron Ramsey and Archer can put themselves in line to be part of the squad this season. 

I'd like to see Gerrard try some new things in preseason. If we aren't going to buy a top quality CM then try Buendia as a number 8 in preseason as he is more likely to dictate the tempo in that area than Ramsey or McGinn will and it would also mean he can get Bailey, Buendia and Coutinho into the same team. 

Not on board with this Buendia at 8 idea at all. Our 8’s are expected to cover the fullbacks as well as sitting generally deeper. 

You want Buendia threading through balls through to our strikers and playing on the edge of the oppositions box. 

He might be able to play as an 8 in somebody else’s system, but not ours. He also plays higher risk passes and gives the ball away too easily at times. 

• Like 1

Lots of valid points here. I can see arguments for and against Buendia as an 8. I can also see the arguments for integrating youth now or giving them 12 months development elsewhere. For what it’s worth, I’d like another cm who would be an upgrade on our other options. Then we should be good to go (especially if Luiz signs an extension). 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Not on board with this Buendia at 8 idea at all. Our 8’s are expected to cover the fullbacks as well as sitting generally deeper. 

You want Buendia threading through balls through to our strikers and playing on the edge of the oppositions box. 

He might be able to play as an 8 in somebody else’s system, but not ours. He also plays higher risk passes and gives the ball away too easily at times. 

That's fine if you don't think it will work but there's no better time to try it in preseason which is the best time to try out different ideas. 

Buendia works hard and tracks back, gives the ball away much less now than he did when he first signed, and would still be able to get forward and create with Kamara in there alongside Luiz/McGinn/Ramsey. The only issue is his tackling which is a bit weak like Burnley at home where he gave away a pen or City away where Zinchenko just waltzed away from him too easily. 

I still hope we sign a CM either way but it's an option. And I think we have to find a way of playing Bailey without dropping Coutinho or Buendia. 

13 minutes ago, Rustibrooks said:

I do have a feeling we’ll sign Sangare for some reason. I think it’ll take a while though because he’s been offered to other clubs.

Still think there’s at least one more signing and it’ll be a CM

I wouldn’t be surprised if we brought in another striker if the right one becomes available. No idea who that is but it will have to be something significant to be an improvement on what we already have.

• Like 1

Very relaxed about the window - the Kamara deal shows the effectiveness of consolidating your long-term targets. I’m sure we’ve identified various names, but it’s still July, and there’s lots of moving pieces out of our control. Perhaps they want to judge the squad more during these Friendlies and see if the 6 or 8 role are the bigger priority, or if names will be leaving and increasing the need for more. Just because the press isn’t writing rubbish on Twitter, doesn’t mean we aren’t busy. Look how quickly we signed Chambers and Ings.