Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

2 hours ago, thunderball said:

Sorry but I don’t ever remember being miles ahead of Tottenham, but I do remember briefly fighting over the same sort of place in the league during the MON era for a very short period, but we were very much behind them but at that time perhaps in the next tier below the big 3. But the London factor helped massively then, and very astute management. They have kicked on since then and we had fallen like a stone thanks to Lerner pulling the rug from under things. Small decisions but it could have been so different a real sliding doors moment.

Don’t forget we were getting Ginola after they had spat him out, they had Defoe, Keane and Bent, and van der Vaart when were dreaming about Defoe and Schneider when we ended up with Heskey and Reo-Coker. Not to mention Bale, Modric, Berbatov, Eriksen, Walker even Townsend and Lennon, and further back Kilinsman, Sheringham, Lineker and Gazza. For me they have had at least 30 years in the ascendency over us.

On a positive note, despite the Bentacur and Bissouma issue, we are very much on their coat tails and if we get a toe hold on Europe o think we will very much be fighting the same place in the league.

If anything, I think this is the wrong way round, and that we were ahead of Tottenham until the early years of this millenium, but that now we are absolutely lightyears behind them. I doubt we'll be 'fighting [for] the same place in the league' for years.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CarryOnVilla said:

It would take loads more than European football for villa to financially compete with the “big 6”. We also need that commercial revenue. “Visit Rwanda” kind of money. 

who would of guessed Arsenal would be the leading figures in the UK’s imagination policy. 

tbh it’s it’s not that surprising, it’s such an Arse thing to do

I think every big club should have an imagination policy....

download.jpeg.jpg

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, Adam2003 said:

Well I would guess he means the third most expensive player of all time and the new starting midfielder for the world champions. 

For the third it’s either a little exaggeration on Diego Carlos, he knows something about this kid from Rangers or he absolutely loves Robin Olsen.

So you think he is world class?

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

If anything, I think this is the wrong way round, and that we were ahead of Tottenham until the early years of this millenium, but that now we are absolutely lightyears behind them. I doubt we'll be 'fighting [for] the same place in the league' for years.

Spurs have one of the best duo's in the league.....Kane & Son......which has cost them £22 mill.....phenomenal economics.

When you get development like that its hard to compete against......they are in their prime and we have nothing to compare with them.

• Like 1

We need another top midfielder.....maybe an older head with experience

With Ramsey and Kamara early twenties.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

Would love Villa to try and do a deal for Nathan Collins of Burnley. This lad is going to the top. Maybe try and use Davies and Hause as bait, their wages shouldn’t be a problem for Burnley. Him and Carlos would be a massive upgrade at centre back.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Galway Lion said:

Would love Villa to try and do a deal for Nathan Collins of Burnley. This lad is going to the top. Maybe try and use Davies and Hause as bait, their wages shouldn’t be a problem for Burnley. Him and Carlos would be a massive upgrade at centre back.

I like Collins too. Very good young player. It would be very interesting seeing. Collins, Mings and Carlos fighting it out for two spots. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Adam2003 said:

I thought all those players were underrated on here at the time (same with some of our players now) and am not at all surprised by their subsequent success but I think your post could also be used as an example of how even signing really really good players doesn’t work IF you sign them too early. Fine if you plan to loan them out and let them develop, not if they’re all going into the team.

I don't think the problem was signing them too early, I think it was giving them to a clueless manager who either didn't know how to use them or didn't want to use them.

He tried to use Gana to replace Delph when he is a "6" and not an "8" as we saw at Everton shortly after. I don't recall once seeing Veretout and Gana playing alongside each other in CM which i always thought would have been a strong pairing.

Tactics Tim was the fault not the signings.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

More Gomez rumours in Belgium - though nothing concrete.

Wouldn’t mind Gomez as he was a midfielder before he joined anderlecht so he’s a versatile player who can play cover both areas if needed

11 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Last summer was our chance. They ended last season poorly, only scraping 7th on final day and settled on Nuno after likes of Gattuso and Foncesa rejected them/were overlooked.

And Kane was all but certain to leave while Grealish rumours didn't properly start until mid July.

They kept Kane, we lost Jack and now there's 25 points again between the clubs with them having a world class manager again and us just a rookie in charge.

Think we can only keep building as perhaps in 12 months they'll have to sell Kane and Conte may go so with Son hitting his 30s they might be in transition again and drop a few places in the table.

Considering their situation last summer Levy done pretty well again to give them CL football with the decisions as he could've easily kept Nuno until around December.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Galway Lion said:

Aside from that crazy handball on final day I was really impressed with his performances in run in for them.

Huge potential as he can bring it out from the back so think in ideal world he'd be a perfect fit for any team that plays a back 3. Surprised Spurs haven't gone in for him. Can play in a back 4 aswell.

Think Bassey would make more sense as Collins would want to go somewhere where he'd play every week so can see him staying at Burnley until January.

Burnley would certainly be interested in Hause with his style.

44 minutes ago, barry'sboots said:

I don't think the problem was signing them too early, I think it was giving them to a clueless manager who either didn't know how to use them or didn't want to use them.

He tried to use Gana to replace Delph when he is a "6" and not an "8" as we saw at Everton shortly after. I don't recall once seeing Veretout and Gana playing alongside each other in CM which i always thought would have been a strong pairing.

Tactics Tim was the fault not the signings.

Garde actually played them regularly with Sanchez also starting games. We still lost endless games and our best results were 1-1 draws for two months.

I take your point though. We should've signed some of them while we still had likes of Benteke and Delph at the club instead of having all the pressure of replacing them in what was a bottom 6 prem team.

6 hours ago, Galway Lion said:

Yep agreed, although didn’t Burnley pay £20 mil for him?