Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

But Luiz has been linked with Roma and Arsenal, McGinn has been linked with Man U and Spurs.  Just because they are linked doesn’t mean they are right for us or they would move to those clubs.  It’s a false narrative using that as a reason.

Think there was more than a subtle link in the case of West ham wanting Watkins, more along the lines of us rejecting an offer from then, but can't find the info now.

Just now, Laughable Chimp said:

1- I don't think they necessarily think Watkins is an improvement. They want him because they need to start planning to replace their aging striker.

2- When are we going to learn that just because a club is interested in a player, doesn't mean that player is actually good. Despite their best efforts, clubs make bad signings all the time.

1- true, but you honestly think they wouldn't sign the best option they see and can attract for that role? They won't be expecting that they drop down the league by doing so.

2 - this is also true.  But either way,  we also have Ings who until last season was lethal and arguably the 4th best striker in the league. He showed signs of getting back to his best at the end of the season when we finally found the formation that worked.

To further venture from the original point of my post.... despite the line that we wasted too many chances, both Ings (+0.15) and Watkins (-0.5) basically met their xG target.

16 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I see what you’re saying nick76 and I am agreeing with you to an extent. He hasn’t become a bad player overnight, he looks knackered to me, it’s understandable, he’s been playing regular first team football since he was 16 years old, it’s bound to take it’s toll on his body and consequently his performances on the pitch. I remember fondly his performances when he was on loan at WBA and Everton from Chelsea, he was outstanding, he has proven he can perform in this league in the past in my opinion 

A bit like Benteke, when was with us?

3 hours ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

As it's the season for speculation and fun--I wouldn't be surprised if we made an attempt for Jesus or Richarlison etc. (as previously mentioned by that ITK on Twitter @Villa_1_8_7_4).

But, as you say, positive signs for sure. 

That boy knows absolutely **** all.

3 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

We still have Luiz and Sanson.

I'm assuming we use them both in the 8 position about as regularly as we did last season.  Can't see why that would change this year, but would be OK to see it happen if it did. 

Luiz can now be relieved of number 6 duty, but with 1 year left on his contract, we could do with extending it if we're planning to keep developing his skillset for someone else. Sanson I like the look of, but whatever has persuaded Gerrard to rarely use him so far suggests he won't get a look in. 

And I'd like to see us upgrade McGinn before either Watkins or Ings. Added benefit that it should be a better value proposition, and easier for us to attract I think. 

15 hours ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

I think you can mix up a possession game with a counter attacking game with that formation, plus get players like Bailey into the team who we invested a lot of money in and we don't want to see it go to waste. In a narrower formation we can't do that.

It doesn't matter anyhow as Gerrard seems dead set on the formation he used up in Scotland. 

We don't know yet whether this was Gerard or Beale or both. Gerard is always accused of mimicking Liverpool but Salah and Mane are more like goal scoring wide players than 10's. And Ryan Kent, who was/is supposedly a big success in Glasgow is a winger. 

We may see more flexibility in Gerard's style now Beale has moved on. Although, fundamentally I think he will still want his FB's to push high up.

I think we will have a bit more visibility of Stevie's thought process when we see what else he buys this summer.

2 minutes ago, barry'sboots said:

We don't know yet whether this was Gerard or Beale or both. Gerard is always accused of mimicking Liverpool but Salah and Mane are more like goal scoring wide players than 10's. And Ryan Kent, who was/is supposedly a big success in Glasgow is a winger. 

We may see more flexibility in Gerard's style now Beale has moved on. Although, fundamentally I think he will still want his FB's to push high up.

I think we will have a bit more visibility of Stevie's thought process when we see what else he buys this summer.

I think he is trying to do the Liverpool style but with a slight variation to make it his own. Only problem is that the variation is sub optimal. We are not quick in the forward areas, as opposed to Liverpool who have Salah and Mane. 

18 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Think there was more than a subtle link in the case of West ham wanting Watkins, more along the lines of us rejecting an offer from then, but can't find the info now.

Don’t agree, plus you are saying that to support what you are saying…sorry bud it doesn’t fly.

As LC says, it also doesn’t mean that because West Ham maybe interested in him that he’s right for us.

35 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Difference is we don’t have the rest of the team contributing enough goals wise not to have strikers score more than their fair share.

Not really mate, we finished 8th last season on GS. With better players in other areas this will improve. I’m not saying the strikers shouldn’t score just they are involved more nowadays hence why they don’t get as many goals. You could argue that teams are scoring more goals as a collective because strikers contribute more than just goals now.

Novel idea time but rather than simply throwing money around how about we get our expensively assembled coaching and management team to get our current lot to play better, with a coherent gameplan and clever tactics. I think our squad is massively underperforming and can and should do so much better

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, WHY said:

Not really mate, we finished 8th last season on GS. With better players in other areas this will improve. I’m not saying the strikers shouldn’t score just they are involved more nowadays hence why they don’t get as many goals. You could argue that teams are scoring more goals as a collective because strikers contribute more than just goals now.

Can’t agree, McGinn scored 3 league goals, Luiz 2, Konsa 2, Mings 1…these figures aren’t enough.  How are our big CB’s not scoring more for example.

5 minutes ago, TheMelvillan said:

Novel idea time but rather than simply throwing money around how about we get our expensively assembled coaching and management team to get our current lot to play better, with a coherent gameplan and clever tactics. I think our squad is massively underperforming and can and should do so much better

A bit of both needed. A stronger squad and more consistent and technical able players means the coaching team can do their thing better.  

You're never going to get El Ghazi or Trez to improve by another 25% because they have reached the limit of their ability.

1 hour ago, MrBlack said:

The point is that West Ham (supposedly) think Watkins is an improvement on what they have. 

Therefore, the fact they think its enough to improve them, a team that finished 7th, he's surely good enough for our team that isn looking to try and finish there.

It suggests we need to improve the other areas of our squad first...which we have already done to an extent.

The only area untouched from last season (aside from the strikeforce, and assuming we include Coutinho as a signing) is the 8's in our lineup. 

So remaining signings to improve our lineup have to be an 8 or a striker. I think the 8 is a bigger concern.

This is a agree with to be fair.

Been saying that attacking areas really wouldn't be my priority ATM.

Solidifying our spine and defensive areas are for me.