Boubacar Kamara

Delphinho123

3 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

£200k a week is £10 m a year, so if he signs a 4 year contract £40m all in is a good deal for a quality player. If we’d laid out £40m for Bissouma people would have been happy enough but he’d still want about £150k a week. So that’s about £7.5m a year over 4 years that’s £30m. Total spend on him is £70m. It’s the overall cost that the money men look at. At least I hope so, or I’d be worried about Purslow and co. 

Bissouma could probably warrant sitting at the top end of our pay-scale (c£120k as per Ings) as he's been a top Premier League players for a couple of years. He can demonstrate he can play in the league. 

The problem with putting Kamara on £200k a week is that you'd have other players questioning why he was the highest paid when he has done nothing to deserve it. You'd  probably have 10 or so players wanting an extra £100k a week to match him or you'd have a mutiny on your hands! This isn't Casemiro or Vidal we're talking about, it's an untested player from France.  

You definitely have to consider the clubs current pay-scale when negotiating terms. You've got to be careful not to rock the boat. 

I know we'd never pay £200k a week for a player like that but its an interesting discussion. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Xela said:

Bissouma could probably warrant sitting at the top end of our pay-scale (c£120k as per Ings) as he's been a top Premier League players for a couple of years. He can demonstrate he can play in the league. 

The problem with putting Kamara on £200k a week is that you'd have other players questioning why he was the highest paid when he has done nothing to deserve it. You'd  probably have 10 or so players wanting an extra £100k a week to match him or you'd have a mutiny on your hands! This isn't Casemiro or Vidal we're talking about, it's an untested player from France.  

You definitely have to consider the clubs current pay-scale when negotiating terms. You've got to be careful not to rock the boat. 

I know we'd never pay £200k a week for a player like that but its an interesting discussion. 

It's tough isn't it.

You'd like to think players understand he gets paid more because he didn't have a transfer fee but its probably not the case.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MSvillain said:

Yeah something like £52m over a 5 year contract.

Not a problem it itself, however if he doesn't perform then moving him on becomes an issue.

Yeah, I get that and it is an inherent risk with all players. If we pay Buendia or Ollie half the wages and add in the transfer we then we are in the same boat if they don't perform

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Xela said:

The problem arises if he's not good for us and then he becomes a financial liability. No team will take on an underperforming player at £200k a week. 

Also, you put a player like that (young, unproven in the Premier League, not even an international) on £200k a week - next thing you have 10-15 members of the first team squad moaning as to why they are on half of that. 

I'd rather avoid paying out huge salaries unless the player was tier 1 and proven. 

I would rather avoid paying huge salaries too but I would equally like to avoid paying huge transfer fees. If any player doesn't perform it is a big financial risk to the club and any transfer fee we have paid is at risk of becoming a loss if a player is underperforming.

1 hour ago, Xela said:

I don't know why the club can't just go

"We know he doesn't deserve 200k a week but we needed to pay that to secure his services and we felt like he was still worth it overall after considering the transfer fee as well. We don't need to pay that to secure your services though."

If the player then decides to throw a fuss and wants a larger contract, we can do it on a case by case basis to see whether they truly deserve it. The ones who don't want to play ball can get ****. The fact that another player is being overpaid doesn't entitle them to be overpaid as well. And after a while, this would send a message to the rest of the team.

Will that push some players to look elsewhere? Yes, but players or at least their agents are already looking elsewhere for potentially better offers anyway. Taking this stance doesn't suddenly make other clubs want to offer higher wages to our players

Edited by Laughable Chimp

1 hour ago, Xela said:

Players aren't dumb, well, at least their agents aren't dumb. They know that if there is no transfer fee the wages will be higher so they shouldn't question it too much as they understand we paid a transfer fee for them

48 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

For players like this, can you not just give them a 5m signing on bonus and then a 50k wage. Nobody would ever know the signing on fee and wouldn’t put other players in the squad out? 

I think a lot of these free signings want the signing on fee too :)

But from a financial perspective it is better to pay the wages as opposed to signing on fee as it spread the cost over multiple accounting terms as opposed to all getting lumped into a single accounting term and subject to P&L for that year

1 minute ago, Laughable Chimp said:

"We know he doesn't deserve 200k a week but we needed to pay that to secure his services and we felt like he was still worth it. We don't need to pay that to secure your services though."

If the player then decides to throw a fuss and wants a larger contract, we can do it on a case by case basis to see whether they truly deserve it. The ones who don't want to play ball can get ****. The fact that another player is being overpaid doesn't entitle you to be overpaid as well. And after a while, this would send a message to the rest of the team.

Maybe, but you'll destroy the morale of the team

Lets say you work in sales - you've been there years and are really good and constantly perform well. A new starter comes in, and straight away is on 3x the salary you are and is not proven in the sales arena you work in. You say to your boss - "what's going on here?" - your boss says "jog on sunshine, if you don't like it, you can leave". It'd be kicking off big time :D 

5 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

"We know he doesn't deserve 200k a week but we needed to pay that to secure his services and we felt like he was still worth it overall after considering the transfer fee as well. We don't need to pay that to secure your services though."

If the player then decides to throw a fuss and wants a larger contract, we can do it on a case by case basis to see whether they truly deserve it. The ones who don't want to play ball can get ****. The fact that another player is being overpaid doesn't entitle you to be overpaid as well. And after a while, this would send a message to the rest of the team.

It is no different to any business albeit instead of moaning that you are only getting 150k a week and your colleague is getting 200k a week, the moan is that you are only getting 34k a year and your colleague is getting 38k a year

3 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

Players aren't dumb, well, at least their agents aren't dumb. They know that if there is no transfer fee the wages will be higher so they shouldn't question it too much as they understand we paid a transfer fee for them

Yeah true, but what happens then is that a lot of players then run down their contracts to become free agents and get bumper deals - Luiz maybe doing that? 

Anyway, its all hypothetical as I don't think we will be in for him. :)

Interesting discussion though. 

27 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

Yeah, I get that and it is an inherent risk with all players. If we pay Buendia or Ollie half the wages and add in the transfer we then we are in the same boat if they don't perform

Yeah true 👍 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Xela said:

Yeah true, but what happens then is that a lot of players then run down their contracts to become free agents and get bumper deals - Luiz maybe doing that? 

Anyway, its all hypothetical as I don't think we will be in for him. :)

Interesting discussion though. 

Bosman messed it all up for us. It is a real dilemma for both players and clubs how to change the process that is a little more equitable 

3 hours ago, Xela said:

I’d agree, there are other factors as well as the overall cost. I went to an evening with John Gregory a few years ago, and he said that Saunders had offered him a pay rise from £200 a week to £250. John said he knew that a couple of players were on £275 and he wanted the same. Saunders refused and JG was sold to QPR a couple of weeks later. How things have changed. 

• Like 1

On 26/01/2022 at 21:05, av1 said:

I remember in the summer everyone on this board was going crazy about the kid Leicester signed (Soumare?) 

He’s barely had a look in so far. 

Interesting point that....but he has only played 12 games for them coming from a new league....at 22 still learning to a degree.

Its never easy, getting in the right players and Leicester are usually, pretty good at it.

Soumaré was also brought in as backup/rotation to N'didi and Tielemans rather than as a ready starter I'd imagine.

He's apparently started 11 games in the league as well as 5 in Europe for them which is more than I thought. Guess the Tielemans injury helped a bit with that.

Back on topic I would not be surprised if Kamara's next contract lands him below £100k/w regardless of what his agent might be after. Obviously Newcastle might drum that up if they start a bidding war with say Manure.

• Like 1

Â