Rodrigo Bentancur

Delphinho123

1 minute ago, WallisFrizz said:

I don’t take it too seriously but there’s some truth amongst the dross. 

There may be but how do you differentiate between truth and dross? Constant repetition does not indicate truth. I think we should all engage our critical faculties and not repeat anything without proof.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PerryBarrPet said:

There may be but how do you differentiate between truth and dross? Constant repetition does not indicate truth. I think we should all engage our critical faculties and not repeat anything without proof.

Well that would just about shut down this forum.

11 hours ago, jacketspuds said:

Vlahovic is going to cost somewhere close to £60m. Even if they try to add Kulusevski to a potential swap deal they will still have to shell out a fair bit to get him.

The only way I can see us not signing Bentancur is if they sell McKennie to Spurs, which has been rumoured.

Seems strange to me that - Spurs bought that wonder kid DM last summer and loaned him back to his previous club for a season, as McKennie is young himself that doesnt make sense?

1 hour ago, Xela said:

I don't think it was deliberate to suit an agenda. I think it was initially posted in relation to Doucore. 

Not sure why 23 was the cut-off. Perhaps after that you aren't considered a 'young' player anymore by people. 

I don't know where it came from. Would be interesting to see a full age range one though. 

It is pretty standard to split "young" footballers into U18s, U21s and U23s.  Pretty much in line with the international age categories (where U23s is the designation for the Olympics).  Obviously such analysis is slightly flawed in that a player who is 1 day older than another can be excluded.  But as a general guide I think it is quite interesting and throws up a few names.  It might also explain how Bentancur came to be on our list of possibles - especially as we were told that Lange was really big on utilising data analysis.  I kind of like that we are identifying potential players based on stuff like this rather than "I saw them play 2 years ago and thought they looked quite good".  Obviously you can't entirely rely on data but being in the 75th percentile over a season probably evens out issues about having an off-day or thinking that someone had a bad game even though they were Man of the Match (or assuming someone must have been good because they were Man of the Match rather than just being more popular / eye-catching than someone else).

1 minute ago, WallisFrizz said:

Well that would just about shut down this forum.

Far from it. I think this forum is mainly good because it combines banter with exchange of factual information and assessment of possible outcomes. If it does fail then this is when, on a few occasions, dross is presented as either fact or information worthy of debate.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, PerryBarrPet said:

Far from it. I think this forum is mainly good because it combines banter with exchange of factual information and assessment of possible outcomes. If it does fail then this is when, on a few occasions, dross is presented as either fact or information worthy of debate.

I like the pantomime element: “Oh yes he is”, “Oh no he isnt”……

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, thunderball said:

Seems strange to me that - Spurs bought that wonder kid DM last summer and loaned him back to his previous club for a season, as McKennie is young himself that doesnt make sense?

SKY are reporting (I know, I know) that Juve is offering £60+M to Fiorentina for the striker. I understood Juve needed to sell in order to buy so is this as a result of our bid?

23 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

If I’m not mistaken some of the same folks who appear to have taken issue with this potential signing were also desperate for us to sign Rashica two summers ago……….

I definitely did yeah! He'd just come off a very impressive season. Before he blew his knee and his hammy ripped of course. Could have filled in anywhere up front for us as well.

1 minute ago, PerryBarrPet said:

SKY are reporting (I know, I know) that Juve is offering £60+M to Fiorentina for the striker. I understood Juve needed to sell in order to buy so is this as a result of our bid?

Might suggest the Bentacur deal is close. I think a Levy is too much of a wheeler dealer to work quickly, we are wiping the floor with him at the moment at getting deals closed.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, sne said:

For those wondering how Juve could afford Vlahovic

https://www.reuters.com/article/juventus-capital-increase-idUSL8N2PW2PW

Happened in the summer.

6 minutes ago, PerryBarrPet said:

1 minute ago, Kiwivillan said:

To me that suggests that Juve are in the sh*t and need equity to stay solvent, they have a crippling wage bill and players they can’t shift because no one else fancies their wages. I wouldn’t read too much into that necessarily, the journo’s have suggested that it was a deal that needed outgoing players before it could happen?

Â