Rodrigo Bentancur

Delphinho123

2 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

He'll probably improve us the same way Traore did. We didn't have a right winger, so signed one.

He was...ok. Depends who you ask. But we did look to replace him after one season. Don't think doing that again is a good use of money or time.

We can go past a lot of clubs in the next 18 months if we play this right.

Agree with the last line especially. I genuinely think we’re two or three players from being a better team than Spurs, Arsenal, Wolves and even United. 

How we spend the next £100m is crucial. We can’t waste it and I from what I’m seeing and reading, this will be £16m wasted as he may fill a gap but I think we’ll be looking to improve on him again in 12-18 months time. If we signed someone like Bissouma, we’d be set for the next 4 years. 

Im hoping the fact we’ve bid for Bissouma means that he’s our number 1 target and this is a smokescreen for that (I don’t buy into that narrative personally). Hopefully we go in with a second offer.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Agree with the last line especially. I genuinely think we’re two or three players from being a better team than Spurs, Arsenal, Wolves and even United. 

How we spend the next £100m is crucial. We can’t waste it and I from what I’m seeing and reading, this will be £16m wasted as he may fill a gap but I think we’ll be looking to improve on him again in 12-18 months time. If we signed someone like Bissouma, we’d be set for the next 4 years. 

Im hoping the fact we’ve bid for Bissouma means that he’s our number 1 target and this is a smokescreen for that (I don’t buy into that narrative personally). Hopefully we go in with a second offer.

I think you massively overrate Bissouma :)

Edited by Tomaszk
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Peter Griffin said:

That's just normal players in and players out. If Doug goes then fine, we will get a decent fee hopefully but if we are going to replace him we should be looking to improve on quality and not get like for like. We need better players to push up the league

But he is an upgrade on Luiz? You even established that in your previous statement by questioning why should we sign him if he's not a "major upgrade". He may not be a "major upgrade", but he's still an upgrade. The extent of that will only be known when/if he signs. 

20 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

But he is an upgrade on Luiz? You even established that in your previous statement by questioning why should we sign him if he's not a "major upgrade". He may not be a "major upgrade", but he's still an upgrade. The extent of that will only be known when/if he signs. 

I think alot of people on here are getting confused when comparing him with Luiz.  Luiz is not a DCM.  He is doing a very good job there as we have no one else.  Luiz will be played as a box to box mf when we buy a DCM and Nakamba is back 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Phil Silvers said:

Anyone catch the Juve game last night, this dude any good?

1863852458_200(1).gif.ebd90b22ec765721689116db19674918.gif

Go back and read the last 8 pages and you’ll have your answer 

C83DA976-7AC5-44F6-971F-64E4B35D3C69.png

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

with all due respect I didn't establish that he was an upgrade. I simply asked the question. My view is that we should be getting major upgrades when we get players and not going for like for like if we are looking to move up the table. Also, the comment I replied to suggested that he 'could' be an upgrade. If there is that much ambiguity about whether is in an upgrade or not then I would prefer to steer clear. That said, I know very little about the guy, fortunately it will be up to Gerrard et al to make a decision

8 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

with all due respect I didn't establish that he was an upgrade. I simply asked the question. My view is that we should be getting major upgrades when we get players and not going for like for like if we are looking to move up the table. Also, the comment I replied to suggested that he 'could' be an upgrade. If there is that much ambiguity about whether is in an upgrade or not then I would prefer to steer clear. That said, I know very little about the guy, fortunately it will be up to Gerrard et al to make a decision

Are we actually turning our noses up at players from Juventus?  Don't forget Luiz has 18 months left on his contract, if he doesn't renew then he'll be gone in the summer, so getting Bentacur in now in Jan makes sense if it's to replace Luiz.     

I love it...  Some are already writing him off because he isn't the mythical brick shithouse DM they've been fantasizing about for years now.  Smith didn't want one, now Gerrard doesn't seem to want one either...  Guess they'll have to keep complaining about this until the next manager comes in.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Of the players mentioned as deep midfielder I'm probably most excited about this one.

By far the best passer of all the ones mentioned and although not better defensively than the others he has some impressive stats there as well.

Bentancur for 15-20m vs Bissouma for example for 50m, it's the Uruguayan all day for me.

2 minutes ago, KMitch said:

I love it...  Some are already writing him off because he isn't the mythical brick shithouse DM they've been fantasizing about for years now.  Smith didn't want one, now Gerrard doesn't seem to want one either...  Guess they'll have to keep complaining about this until the next manager comes in.

To be honest, I think it's a myth that people on VT want a brick shithouse DM. Most of us just want someone to sit in front of the back 4 and read the game well, put a foot in where needed and be able to pass and carry the ball through the lines. Nakamba and Luiz do some of these things well but not others, hence why we're linked with new players.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Are we actually turning our noses up at players from Juventus?  Don't forget Luiz has 18 months left on his contract, if he doesn't renew then he'll be gone in the summer, so getting Bentacur in now in Jan makes sense if it's to replace Luiz.     

I don't see the relevance of the fact that Luiz has 18 months left. If we need to replace him then we should replace him with a better version. There will be lots of time in the summer to do this if necessary. The club a player plays for should not blinker us to the quality of the player. For example I would not want to see us buy Pogba and he plays for a bigger team to Juve

8 minutes ago, The Rosk said:

I asked my scouting friend about him and he said he likes him - and suggested this report, whilst being a bit data-y, is a good source of info: https://thefalse9.com/2021/10/rodrigo-bentancur-a-scouting-report.html

Sounds pretty decent based on that. He doesn't need to do the progressive carries if he can give the ball to Ramsey/McGinn etc to do that. I'd be happy to see him join us 

Â