Philippe Coutinho

Wainy316

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

He was comfortably our worst player in the first half and arguably the worst player on the pitch. He was far from ‘excellent’. 

Yet your logic for starting Coutinho is ? ( he did nothing wrong in his cameo but reaching for theatrics if you say he was outstanding ) So you want to start a player who the masses would argue has played worse than Buendia for sometime now based on the fact he “ might “ still have it. 

Just now, Johnnyp said:

Yet your logic for starting Coutinho is ? ( he did nothing wrong in his cameo but reaching for theatrics if you say he was outstanding ) So you want to start a player who the masses would argue has played worse than Buendia for sometime now based on the fact he “ might “ still have it. 

I’d play McGinn, Ramsey, Bailey and Coutinho ahead of Buendia. I think Buendia is the weak link in our side and wouldn’t be surprised to see him further down the pecking order come February. 

He’s too slow, too weak and very careless in possession. I think Coutinho is a far better footballer and whilst he struggled under Gerrard, I don’t remember him being any worse than Buendia who was also poor (you can throw Bailey into the mix too). 

Our players are starting to look good again now, playing in a proper system, I just don’t think Buendia has the attributes to help us push on. If he hadn’t of scored today, it would have been a toss up between him and Bailey being our worst player. He was really poor in particular in the first half. 

• Like 2

I thought Buendia was excellent on the defensive side of things today but a bit clumsy in the attacking half (aside from his goal). Coutinho has more quality but can he do the defensive work from the left side of midfield? If he can, a midfield of Coutinho-Kamara-Luiz-Ramsey looks very strong on paper.

38 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I’d play McGinn, Ramsey, Bailey and Coutinho ahead of Buendia. I think Buendia is the weak link in our side and wouldn’t be surprised to see him further down the pecking order come February. 

He’s too slow, too weak and very careless in possession. I think Coutinho is a far better footballer and whilst he struggled under Gerrard, I don’t remember him being any worse than Buendia who was also poor (you can throw Bailey into the mix too). 

Our players are starting to look good again now, playing in a proper system, I just don’t think Buendia has the attributes to help us push on. If he hadn’t of scored today, it would have been a toss up between him and Bailey being our worst player. He was really poor in particular in the first half. 

It takes more than a little cameo to convince me he deserves a start over Buendia.  It would be a regressive step imo 

Explain to me why for someone so supposedly technically great he needs at least 5 seconds to do anything once he receives the ball? Sick of him receiving the ball, doing nothing and being tackled from behind and losing possession. It happens too much.

• Confused 1

27 minutes ago, Spoony said:

Starts over Buendia for me. Great hustling again. His mojo is creeping back. Buendia is a lost cause I think. 

Not sure about Buendia being a lost cause but agree that Coutinho seems to have been reenergised. He’s also becoming a little more aggressive in his play which is good to see. 

2 hours ago, messi11 said:

I wanna be positive. I hope he proves me wrong. But his legs look gone. 

Tend to agree. 30 isn’t old but he’s played at a top level for so long. 

Edited by Johnnyp

Watched a bit of his highlights and he used to have such an explosive change of gears. Still got the touches every now and then but he put opponents through the blender before.

Feel like we're missing that to really break down teams in the final third. Watkins is good over a long sprint but can't really change directions quickly. Buendia stumbles along. Bailey has shown some of it but hasn't shown he can really get away from a marker that's just aiming to stay with him instead of nicking the ball.

Of course, Grealish was always able to do this and to an extend AEG and Traore.

Not advocating bringing back Traore, but we need that bit of burst either from Phil and/or new transfers to break down this final third low blocks.

Â