Philippe Coutinho

Wainy316

I don't know whats going on....Luke Robinson (UTV Podcast) reported yesterday, that Phil has seen all the rumours and stated he categorically wants to stay and fight for his place.

so, I don't know what to believe.

24 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

Because there are similarities 

Fair enough. Your opnion, I and 'plenty of other fans' disagree.

Barkley never achieved his potential and even at Villa it felt like he had given up and didn't really care that much anymore, could be argued injuries ruined him. Hard to say if he really had a poor attitude but he definitely didn't work hard enough.

Phil has had a much more successful career than Barkley even despite it's down turn in recent years. The issue as I see it, is he isn't fast, pressing, tackling midfielder that everyone now associates with 'having the right ethic, application and attitude.' Not everyone has to be a workhouse dynamo. Maybe Phil needs to adjust to the speed of the Premiership and has failed to do so with us, maybe he just needs better coaching and players that are capable of getting on the same wave length. 

He has shown he can do it, some of the goals he has created and scored for us have been superb, just needs to do it more often.

• Like 1

Just now, TRO said:

I don't know whats going on....Luke Robinson (UTV Podcast) reported yesterday, that Phil has seen all the rumours and stated he categorically wants to stay and fight for his place.

so, I don't know what to believe.

Maybe believe the player himself as the quotes are all direct from the horses mouth, put out by him in direct response to the horsespoop reported about him.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pinebro said:

Because there are similarities 

Haven’t seen him kicking bottles and sulking after being subbed. Talking of similarities are you  villalad ?

Edited by gwi1890
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

The Barkley comparison isn't far off.

If Coutinho wasn't Brazilian but a similar player who's hey day was 5 years ago, was 30 and English the comments would be different.

There's something in that samba water people are drinking.

if he wasn't a footballer, and was a horse, he might win the grand national

• Haha 1

When we signed him no one was expecting him to be as good as he's ever been, at his best he was one of the best players in the World, if he was that good we wouldn't have a chance of singing him.

Last season he scored five and assisted three in nineteen appearances, if we can get him back to that kind of form then he will frankly be our best attacker.

Was only a couple of seasons ago that he was having a good season with Bayern Munich eight goals and six assists in twenty-three appearances in the league, and another three goals and three assists in eleven appearances in the Champions League.

His output at Barcelona wasn't even that bad, twenty-five goals and fourteen assists in one hundred five appearances.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tomav84 said:

got a link? i ask because the brum mail don't tend to 'break' stories as they never get the exclusives

and regarding the personal insult, the guy is just doing his job. if some brazilian media speculate on a transfer, he's within his rights to write an article. because it's his job

edit: i found this one, which immediately cited GOAL as their source. oh, and it wasn't written by Preece either

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/philippe-coutinho-makes-aston-villa-25852065

I stand corrected on all points. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rodders0223 said:

If Coutinho wasn't Brazilian but a similar player who's hey day was 5 years ago, was 30 and English the comments would be different.

The Barkley comparison is miles off and ridiculous. Coutinho was previously world class player who once changed hands for £140m +.  Barkley is a player who continuously didn’t live up to his potential except for the odd loan spell here and there. He rated himself higher than anyone else did and that includes a number of top managers. 

You’re entitled to your own opinion and there is often a mystical aura around foreign player’s particularly South Americans. But Coutinho has been genuine world class and could potentially reach a very high, game changing level again, if coached correctly. Ross Barkley on the other hand couldn’t, no matter where he was born. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, useless said:

When we signed him no one was expecting him to be as good as he's ever been, at his best he was one of the best players in the World, if he was that good we wouldn't have a chance of singing him.

Last season he scored five and assisted three in nineteen appearances, if we can get him back to that kind of form then he will frankly be our best attacker.

Was only a couple of seasons ago that he was having a good season with Bayern Munich eight goals and six assists in twenty-three appearances in the league, and another three goals and three assists in eleven appearances in the Champions League.

His output at Barcelona wasn't even that bad, twenty-five goals and fourteen assists in one hundred five appearances.

He has a mercurial Talent....when he's on it, he has few peers.

The problem is this league, is, its  so arduous physically and with the officials being less tolerant with players going to ground, inevitably physical contact, has become more pronounced.

The thing with Phil is.......despite his talent, he is not blessed with a physical edge.....not all great talented Players are, Messi is an exception, to what he takes, in terms of stick, but he has physicality around him.

In my humble opinion, if we play Phil, we cannot have many others in the team, without the ability to stay on the ball, and I think we have.....That needs to change, in order to keep Phil.

Buendia, Bailey and Phil, should be vying for one slot in the team.....all 3 at once renders us, Light.

I am not necessarily in favour of Phil leaving as I think Unai can get him back firing, but his legs are not what they was.....but I do think, he needs a bit more meat/muscle/tenacity, around him.

Phil can change a game, like others can't....i.e Man City....but he needs an element of protection, and picking other players like him,when he plays,  defeats the object IMV.

If we get the balance of our team right, with Unai's superior coaching and Phil getting fit and his mojo back.....I can still see an asset to us.

Phil in his present form, is a passenger, get fit, better balance to the team....he could still be a threat.

Philippe Coutinho's don't grow on tree's.

Edited by TRO

56 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

The Barkley comparison is miles off and ridiculous. Coutinho was previously world class player who once changed hands for £140m +.  Barkley is a player who continuously didn’t live up to his potential except for the odd loan spell here and there. He rated himself higher than anyone else did and that includes a number of top managers. 

You’re entitled to your own opinion and there is often a mystical aura around foreign player’s particularly South Americans. But Coutinho has been genuine world class and could potentially reach a very high, game changing level again, if coached correctly. Ross Barkley on the other hand couldn’t, no matter where he was born. 

What Coutinho was in the past like Barkeley to a lesser extent is gone now though. They are pretty much the same style of player for me now, liabilities.

They've both done anything in years, they both had a decent start then faded, they both move in slow motion and they both have the same feel sorry for yourself attitude on the pitch when something goes wrong. Neither appear to have any fight left in them.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rodders0223 said:

What Coutinho was in the past like Barkeley to a lesser extent is gone now though. They are pretty much the same style of player for me now, liabilities.

They've both done anything in years, they both had a decent start then faded, they both move in slow motion and they both have the same feel sorry for yourself attitude on the pitch when something goes wrong. Neither appear to have any fight left in them.

It’s hard to really know what we can get out of him until he’s had a decent amount of game time under Unai. Of course we don’t really know what Unai really thinks and may be looking to off load him but he’s hardly likely to say that publicly. We’ll see soon enough. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rodders0223 said:

If picking an English talent I would say Alli be a more favourable comparison

Be uproar if we were linked but some would argue he was also good in 2017

Edited by Zatman

20 hours ago, Don_Simon said:

Contradicting his own breaking story of the transfer request. He's an imbecile.

It is odd. We're so drowning in info these days it's hard to keep up, but AP seemed to indicate he had insider knowledge of such a transfer request, and now...?? I can't even be bothered to find out anymore.

He has started 6 premier league games this season. Played less than 10 hours pretty much all of which was under a clueless manager in a team full of struggling players, especially the creative ones. He has also spent a fair amount of time injured. 

Outside of this season in the 4 months he played last season I'd say in over 50% of those games he did well. In some he really excelled and looked like prime Coutinho, in others he really disappointed. 5 goals/3 assists in 19 games was an okay return. 

The bottom line is that Coutinho has spent pretty much his whole time with us (which is only 11 months) playing under a manager hugely out of depth at this level in a struggling side. He has also spent some time injured. I am happy to see what a hopefully fully fit Coutinho can do over the second half of this season under an elite manager. If he does well then we have some player on our hands. If not then I am sure we'll be able to move him on at the end of the season.

One thing I certainly wouldn't question is his attitude or his application in training which is apparently excellent. Any comparisons to the likes of McCormack are ridiculously wide of the mark. 

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 4

Â