Philippe Coutinho

Wainy316

15 hours ago, gwi1890 said:

Tempo quickened  and possession stuck when he came on.

This. They could not live with us when he came on. It looked like he was under instruction to speed the play up a bit as it had been way to slow up to that point. That speed up in play started to open them up time after time but poor finishing and a few decent saves stopped us getting the winner.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Thought the same. I like him as an 8 with three attacking player in front. 

I’m sure he played there a lot earlier in his career. That said I think it could work against lower half teams but definetly not against against top half teams. He isn’t someone who is going to win the ball back off a side who’s calmly kept it for 30 consecutive passes. 

'I have had a lot of messages from Liverpool fans on social media': Aston Villa star Philippe Coutinho on his final-day role in the Premier League title race, why Steven Gerrard has always been the boss… and finding happiness in football again'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-10838075/Philippe-Coutinho-Premier-League-title-race-Steven-Gerrard-boss.html

• Like 1

On 19/05/2022 at 22:12, DCJonah said:

Thought the same. I like him as an 8 with three attacking player in front. 

Yep.

People saying Buendia as an 8 because of his workrate, but you need him as close to the forwards as possible. Coutinho should be the one in the 8 role, and he has plenty of previous experience playing there.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Our best outfield player. Fantastic footballer. 

He is the most talented but is woefully inconsistent. There is a temptation to play him regardless of form because of the talent, but think this is a mistake. On form and impact Buendia should have started more games this season but was dropped for the superstar. This needs to be managed by Gerrard so that it isn't a liability over the course of the season. 

The ideal scenario would be getting emi and Phil in the starting XI together, but I think that will depend on whether we can get the right two CDMs in the summer. 

Edited by Made In Aston

23 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

He is the most talented but is woefully inconsistent. There is a temptation to play him regardless of form because of the talent, but think this is a mistake. On form and impact Buendia should have started more games this season but was dropped for the superstar. This needs to be managed by Gerrard so that it isn't a liability over the course of the season. 

The ideal scenario would be getting emi and Phil in the starting XI together, but I think that will depend on whether we can get the right two CDMs in the summer. 

Agreed 

17 hours ago, Villatillidie95 said:

Good interview with him in The Times today - Believes Villa can play champions league football under the leadership of Gerrard .

Glad he’s said that publicly. It’s like when Ron Saunders arrived at the club. The talk became of winning the league even though we were in the third tier.

The more the club staff (players/coaches) start talking about it and then aiming for it we’ll eventually achieve it.

9 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

Glad he’s said that publicly. It’s like when Ron Saunders arrived at the club. The talk became of winning the league even though we were in the third tier.

The more the club staff (players/coaches) start talking about it and then aiming for it we’ll eventually achieve it.

Well on the Dr Tony time line shouldn't we win the league next year? 😁

• Haha 1

Sublime goal . He’s sooo classy and he put in a defensive shift too. Scoops , no looks passes the odd flick. Still got it. Genius.

Funny moment he went to play a 1-2 with Ollie but Ollie shanked the return in the opposite direction lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Â